No Man's Sky - Procedural space game

Soldato
I've done 4 refund requests in total now Boycey, all refused so clearly this refund no matter how many hours played isn't strictly true.

Apparently you have to raise a support ticket with good reason as the steam system is automated and will refuse you.

I was polite and explained exactly how I felt so shall wait and see

Caporegime
It also seems to depend on who you get. I guess partially because some customer service people are ***** and some aren't and some are just located somewhere where the boss guy hasn't told them to authorise refunds and sometimes you get put through to a different centre where the boss has authorised them to do so.

How many refunds the game has will be a really interesting thing to see compared to other games. You suspect it will have an amount of refunds that will damage it. Also you hope that say day of release Murray was told a number like, we have 2 mil games sold to date, that means 3million for you when it all clears, and then he gets like 500k refunds which means he visibly loses a lot of cash.

Also rather hope Sony had a deal where marketing costs are recouped first, probably with some basic wages covered, then they get a bigger cut beyond that point.

Honestly I just hope they don't do financially extremely well from just lying through his teeth. Other devs on the team, who knows, did they want to quit and tell the truth, were they angry at Murray going around lying to every interviewer in the industry or were they all seeing $ signs in their eyes and completely happy about the situation.

Permabanned
Also rather hope Sony had a deal where marketing costs are recouped first, probably with some basic wages covered, then they get a bigger cut beyond that point.

I don't know why you would feel Sony is more deserving than the developers. Remember the carry on with Gearbox and ACM? Remember again that Sony were involved?

Forum does not allow certain words but to put it simply, some people are just not capable of learning. Everyone knows the risks of pre-orders yet they continue.

I'm 77 hours in now and enjoying it. I never got caught up in the hype and waited after release to purchase, after I knew what the game was about.

Caporegime
I don't know why you would feel Sony is more deserving than the developers. Remember the carry on with Gearbox and ACM? Remember again that Sony were involved?

Forum does not allow certain words but to put it simply, some people are just not capable of learning. Everyone knows the risks of pre-orders yet they continue.

I'm 77 hours in now and enjoying it. I never got caught up in the hype and waited after release to purchase, after I knew what the game was about.

The Last Guardian?

Sony have shown to be one of the least dev rushing and most supportive publishers in the industry. They let Uncharted 4, one of the biggest games on the entire console, miss the xmas 2015 period because the devs wanted another month to fix some stuff. That is nearly unheard of and cost Sony a huge fall season game for them.

The Last Guardian has gone on for pretty much ever at this point.

Just because ACM was a bunch of tripe doesn't mean it had to do with Sony. TBH I never had any interest in the game and didn't follow it closely but in a vid about NMS someone talked briefly about ACM and gave the impression the devs themselves just lied all the way through, specifically while hyping it calling it a passion project when in fact the devs farmed most of the work out to a 3rd party. That to me sounds like the dev made a bad game, not that Sony rushed them but I don't know the specifics at all.

Either way, I don't want Sony to make a profit on this game, I simply want Sean the liar Murray to make as little as possible. He shouldn't profit from flat out lying to everyone for years. I don't remember Sony going around lying about features, but Murray went around, craving attention, saying yes to thousands of interviews and lied in basically all of them.

As for waiting till after launch to pay £40... I see that as worse, much worse. Time in the game doesn't matter. Comparative value does, you can play a free game for 1000's of hours, or a £40 game for 10 hours, cost per hour isn't a way to measure a games worth and honestly I've never seen anyone use that except when they are trying to explain how it's not bad value. Those before launch were categorically lied to and told this was a AAA game with loads of content, combat, story, different and interesting worlds,etc. They paid £40 thinking they were getting an AAA game, they got a tech demo or even IMHO a game engine they should be licensing to other devs, not charging consumers for. It's not worth £10. Paying £40 for barely a tech demo after everyone knows it's not an AAA game is imho nuts.

There is a quality you expect at AAA pricing, this game doesn't have it, thus doesn't deserve AAA pricing. Other £40 games are also massively overpriced, many are fully deserving of such pricing. Paying that after the truth is revealed is not a good idea.

EDIT:- Just to point out, apart from guys who are making excuses for Murray, there is no indication, no proof, no hint anywhere that Sony pushed them to release early. If the models in the videos shown to the public were part of the actual world they had made, similar things would have been seen in game by at least somebody by now. Meaning everything they showed while stating it was all procedurally generated by their engine, was directly designed individually. Where is even the slightest hint that Sony had any influence on how the game turned out?

http://kotaku.com/5984068/how-aliens-colonial-marines-fell-apart

This is basically the story as I understood it, Gearbox spent 4 years on the game, then farmed it out, the new devs threw everything out, started from scratch made a horrible game and handed it back. It had been 6 years, Sega, their publisher, decided it needed to come out and Gearbox did what they could and pushed it out.... which part of this is Sony's fault? This was a bad game that wasn't particularly fixable and caused primarily by Gearbox not actually just finishing the game themselves. Did Sega rush them, not really, if after almost 6 years you have a **** on your hands, you don't spend another 6 years attempting to make it good(Duke Nukem), you push it out and be done with it then move on. I don't blame Sega for wanting the game done and dusted with, the games state was almost exclusively down to poor decisions by Gearbox.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I don't know why you would feel Sony is more deserving than the developers.

The promotional material and box art, etc. I'm guessing were produced by Sony? atleast the stuff I've had was sent from a Sony affiliate and not the developer. That stuff is blatant lies lol showing what is portrayed as multiplayer space battles and scenes that have like 4x the graphical richness of anything I've seen yet and I've seen a few lush planets as well as the more common barren ones (not just your normal pre-rendered stuff but additional features that don't even exist in the game that I'm aware of).

Permabanned

Sony would never allow their name to be associated with a product without 100% knowledge of that product. That would include all forms of marketing material. People will have chosen a PS4 over an XBox just to play this game.

That is very subjective. Graphics are very good, audio fantastic and I have so far enjoyed uncovering the alien back stories. I stated my playtime so far of 77 hours as it's hard to spend a couple of hours on a game that isn't interesting. In contrast I have Doom (pre purchased) at 8.9 hours, a good cookie cutter game but very mind numbing.

Again subjective. Free, 50p an hour or £40 for one hour is pretty much the same when it is something you enjoy.

The only misleading part of its marketing seems to be around multi player which I have no problems with. Even the Steam page states single player.

Soldato
I've put in a polite Steam support ticket for a refund based on the Consumer Rights Act 2015. Tried the automated refund and it was declined last night. I've got 14 hours playtime.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act#digital-content

Digital content

The Consumer Rights Act defines digital content as ‘data which are produced and supplied in digital form.’

Just like goods, digital content must be:

of satisfactory quality
fit for a particular purpose
as described by the seller.

If digital content does not conform to these criteria, you have the right to a repair or replacement of the digital content you've purchased.

Particular focus is on the last point. :D

Associate
I've put in a polite Steam support ticket for a refund based on the Consumer Rights Act 2015. Tried the automated refund and it was declined last night. I've got 14 hours playtime.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act#digital-content

Digital content

The Consumer Rights Act defines digital content as ‘data which are produced and supplied in digital form.’

Just like goods, digital content must be:

of satisfactory quality
fit for a particular purpose
as described by the seller.

If digital content does not conform to these criteria, you have the right to a repair or replacement of the digital content you've purchased.

Particular focus is on the last point. :D

Let me know how you get on as i tryed to get a refund as the game wont start now and iv only been on it 8 hours and steam said NO!!!!

so i did a charge back by paypal stating the game is broken and not fit for purpose. DONT DO A CHARGE BACK as i have found they lock our account till you give them the money back so as it stand atm im locked out of my own account

Last edited:
Caporegime
Sony would never allow their name to be associated with a product without 100% knowledge of that product. That would include all forms of marketing material. People will have chosen a PS4 over an XBox just to play this game.

That is very subjective. Graphics are very good, audio fantastic and I have so far enjoyed uncovering the alien back stories. I stated my playtime so far of 77 hours as it's hard to spend a couple of hours on a game that isn't interesting. In contrast I have Doom (pre purchased) at 8.9 hours, a good cookie cutter game but very mind numbing.

Again subjective. Free, 50p an hour or £40 for one hour is pretty much the same when it is something you enjoy.

The only misleading part of its marketing seems to be around multi player which I have no problems with. Even the Steam page states single player.

Cost isn't subjective really, lots of people try to make it subjective but, if you pay 200k for a Mini Cooper, you've been ripped off, if they try to sell it to you as a high class car akin to a Ferrari and pay that, you've been ripped off, you may drive it for 10 times as long as a Ferrari, but that doesn't mean you haven't been ripped off. You can get games with far more real interesting engaging content, that were created by far bigger teams, at a far higher cost to actually make... that cost dramatically less. By comparison £40 for this particular game is a complete and utter rip off.

AS for misleading, really? The developer himself on camera has stated, there is multiplayer(when did Steam list it as single player, if multiplayer up till launch, that is misleading).

Sorry but anyone saying they weren't misleading about many many many things is defending the game from a point of blind fanboyism, even if you like it there are many things wrong with it and many things Sean Murray categorically lied about. Even just on multiplayer which you admit, that doesn't make it okay. If a COD game came out and lied about multiplayer, you think that would be okay?

There are great lists out there that outline literally dozens of blatant lies and things that most people argue are in there, are not in there as described or shown in their videos and not just slightly scaled back. They released videos showing what, 50+ ships warping in, not fighters, for battle. At most I've seen 5-6 ships, freighter types, they stand still and occasionally a group of say 20 fighter pirates will attack them. It's worth noting that, fighters and the freighters will shoot at each other indefinitely(from what I've seen) with zero damage being done.

The alien back stories are an afterthought and boring as hell... why, because the interaction with the aliens in the game means caring about them doesn't happen. Lets take Mass Effect, Skyrim or anything else. When you pick up some lore about a species, about the universe, about something, it is interesting because you actually interact with these people. A back story for a species that doesn't move, doesn't interact with the world, in generic buildings, with generic names who never speak more than a single sentence to you about absolutely nothing....

When you're learning about the Krogan back story in ME1-2, how they went sterile, when two members of your crew are a Krogan effected by it and a guy who was involved in making them sterile it links threads between two characters you care about. Nothing in the game makes you care about a single individual of any of the species, making the lore behind them completely pointless.

As for Sony, again, they were the publisher, not the dev, the publisher can't make the game for the dev. It's the devs responsibility to provide a game something akin to the marketing materials they authorise for release and it was the dev who spent the last two years lying. Were Sony aware, probably, could they have gone public and told everyone the dev was lying and they were had... yes... but I can't name any dev or publisher who would do so in their position. However you still tried to link them to ACM/Gearbox and imply they had previous in rushing a game out before it was ready. You were (as dozens in this thread alone, and thousands on other forums) implying the game was rushed and pushed out the door by a push publisher and it's not the devs fault.

publishers publish crap games, and brilliant games, devs make games crap or brilliant. Some publishers sign up devs to strict contracts which means they end up pushing an unfinished game out of the door. It's worth noting that Sega gave gearbox multiple years in extensions for ACM and it was entirely Gearbox's fault the game is as bad as it was, they chose not to ask for another extension, Sega may have allowed them more time.

Where is a single shred of evidence that Sony pushed Hello Games to get this game out before they had enough time.... which btw was 8 years afaik, to make this game?

Soldato
A user on the No Mans Sky sub reddit who created a thread giving information about requesting refunds for the game has been banned.

I didn't think reddit had any affiliation with the game developers so why ban him?
It does make me laugh how the mods of community places just ban people when their submitted content is "controversial". It's like the pCars beta forums, if you gave criticism they simply banned your account.

https://m.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/4zuydl/psa_steam_is_offering_no_mans_sky_refunds/

Associate
so i did a charge back by paypal stating the game is broken and not fit for purpose.

Never do a chargeback on Steam. EVER.

You can resign yourself to being locked out for a good 2 weeks.

Plenty of posts on here and elsewhere stating exactly what happens when you do.

Associate
A user on the No Mans Sky sub reddit who created a thread giving information about requesting refunds for the game has been banned.

I didn't think reddit had any affiliation with the game developers so why ban him?
It does make me laugh how the mods of community places just ban people when their submitted content is "controversial". It's like the pCars beta forums, if you gave criticism they simply banned your account.

https://m.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/4zuydl/psa_steam_is_offering_no_mans_sky_refunds/

I don't see how his user name didn't get him in trouble. :p

Is it not subreddit banned since you can still link it and he isn't shadowbanned etc?

Soldato
There is an article here which indicates people have been given refunds with many hours (50 quoted) of playtime....

http://www.neowin.net/news/angry-ga...on-no-mans-sky-even-with-50-hours-of-playtime

....not sure if this still applies though as the article goes on to state....

Other users are claiming to have received refunds through Steam, once they were insistent enough – again regardless of the number of hours played. Seemingly as a reaction to this trend, No Man’s Sky Steam page was recently updated to unequivocally state that the title falls under Steam’s refund policy: you can ask for your money back within 14 days and only with less than two hours of play time clocked, no exceptions.

Heck if I would have had fifty hours game-play from any game whilst in its very early alpha form I would have considered that a worthy buy :)

Last edited:
Associate
Not entirely certain why I post these. People seldom notice! :p

B9EBF47C53C6FB864FC75F8920451E5744A3E407
2D97E063A866BBBAE49B4E3A4A9749852923D30B

A152557F412175BD1AF6CDB609C277D77EB4FB20

Soldato
Oh we appreciate them bud.

Keep posting, at the very least, most of us would rather see cool screen shots over reading another "original" post about disgusting business practices going unpunished, how much the game is really worth, the gaming community in decline, games in decline, preorder foolishness, buckling market trends, lies, major content hidden behind warp tech, lack of multiplayer, missing content appearing later in game, paid DLC, blatant extreme assumptions, non conventional game development, inflated expectations, hype, wa waa waaaa.

Hey! Has anyone got a video comparing what we were promised and what we got against a Jurassic Park theme tune?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom