cornflake price hike shocker!

Man of Honour
Frijj no longer comes in 500ml bottles, now ~471ml for the same price etc. etc.

When they costs rise, would you rather the price rise or stay the same but get a little bit less product?

Psychologically, I bet the majority of the population would prefer the latter. Nobody likes paying more for what they perceive to be the same thing.

Soldato
When they costs rise, would you rather the price rise or stay the same but get a little bit less product?

Psychologically, I bet the majority of the population would prefer the latter. Nobody likes paying more for what they perceive to be the same thing.

It is the way that things like Frijj have reduced what we get for roughly the same money that gets my goat, without making it very clear to the consumer.

But some stores are really milking consumers as regards inflation prices with the big brands, we swapped to Lidl in early summer and get heck of a lot more for our money.

Caporegime
Blame brexit. ;)

Well as corn isn't grown in commercially large amounts in the UK the 10+% drop in the pound may actually have something to do with it... ;)

That said OP, isn't cardboard with a spoonful of sugar a better, cheaper option? You should never buy cheap cornflakes as they are always rubbery nasty things. I'm still not sure how Kellogg's seem to be the only company that can actually make crispy corn flakes. :confused:

Soldato
this is sorta part tongue in cheek but also I am a little annoyed.
doing my usual Tesco online shop and their basic cornflakes shot up by 56% since last month.

Tesco Everyday Cornflakes Cereal 500G went from £0.25 to £0.39 ouch.

Not as bad as the sainsburys basics, 25p was a bargain, now they're 50p overnight I'm left with a bitter taste in the mouth every breakfast time :( .

Soldato
Sometimes at different factories and not using the same high quality ingredients from what I remember.

Yes, a manufacturer may be using the same processing and packing equipment but using different high quality ingredients to fulfil orders for "own brand" cereals.

So weetabix with its monopoly on the weetabix shape of biscuit (yes it does) does biscuits for others but you can see for example that sainsburys brand contain more salt.

Soldato
I don't know about you guys,

But i've noticed food rise a lot over the last 10 years, reason being is generally I'm in the gym and roughly eat exactly the same things....

Back in the day when tesco tuna was 17p a can. Now it's like 60ish.

I thought the value cornflakes tasted perfectly fine. Quite a hefty price increase relatively though!

Nowadays I tend to just go for Tesco Everyday Value Oats 1Kg - £0.75. Oats are oats I'm sure. I don't see the point in buying those ready made porridge sachets either given it takes arguably less time to do it yourself. Put oats in bowl, top up with water and/or milk, microwave for 1 minute 20. Done. Pro tip I once read: If you want a smoother texture more like from a sachet stick ~half the oats into a blender first.

Yeah oats are oats. I chuck 100grams in a blender and some whey powder. Boom quick meal :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom