#pergtrip - North Coast 500 + Isle of Skye and Cairngorms

Caporegime
Would love to do something like this, maybe next summer. Did a similar thing across Eastern Europe this year but took 4000 miles and around £500 in petrol alone! This is obviously a lot closer to home.

From the looks of it seems the EP3 and fezzer were the most fun due to their size for the roads but what are the roads like in quality? AD08R's and Japanese coilovers are not very comfortable but tolerable on average roads, cobbles and dirt tracks =10-20mph max!

Last edited:
Soldato
The lads have better pics but...

Click for bigger

Stunning place :cool:

Most of these pics are from my S7, some off the GoPro.

That is a great pic, you definitely had the weather on your side :)

The others have much better pics of it than myself and I'm slowly processing all of my pics, doing a day at a time and Eilean Donan was later on in the trip. I'll also try to write a bit of a summary for each day and post one proper update a day so mine will be a few days away.

Looking forward to this. Great that you guys are taking the time to chronicle the journey.

Caporegime
They are comfortable enough for that sort of distance then? How many mpgz did you average, out of interest?

Yeah, the seats help - on rough surfaces it's not too pleasant but I never got out the car feeling like I've been beaten up.

Averaged 38mpg over the whole trip, which isn't bad considering the amount of bendy single track stuff we did.

Soldato
Yeah, the seats help - on rough surfaces it's not too pleasant but I never got out the car feeling like I've been beaten up.

Averaged 38mpg over the whole trip, which isn't bad considering the amount of bendy single track stuff we did.

Nice one, cheers. Think I'm going back to my original plan of getting one so good to know the mpg isn't bad enough to warrant taking the gf's poverty spec diesel over it for long journeys :D

Caporegime
Nice one, cheers. Think I'm going back to my original plan of getting one so good to know the mpg isn't bad enough to warrant taking the gf's poverty spec diesel over it for long journeys :D

You'll get 45 mpg on a run easy if you stick to 70. My running mpg is 37 mpg over 2,200 miles and a lot of that is A/B roads.

Soldato
From the looks of it seems the EP3 and fezzer were the most fun due to their size for the roads but what are the roads like in quality? AD08R's and Japanese coilovers are not very comfortable but tolerable on average roads, cobbles and dirt tracks =10-20mph max!

Varies quite a lot really, some sections are silky smooth, some are riddled with potholes and uneven surfaces and then others are smooth enough surface but bumpy / undulate loads. No cobbles or dirt tracks for any of the trip, aside from when we got into Edinburgh and drove on cobbles which weren't fun even at 10mph in the Golf.

I'm running AP coilovers on the Golf and they are fairly firm but not stiff and so are quite compliant on the rough stuff which meant that for the most part it was a decent drive. I do have small wheels with big tyres though so a lot of the uneven stuff can be soaked up by the tyre flex.

I think each of the cars had their strong points really, on the larger flowing roads the 350Z and M3 were best, on the smaller and twistier stuff the Fiesta, Civic and Golf were better suited which is what you'd expect really.
Only downside with my car is just a lack of power really, if it were running close to 200hp I think it'd have been perfect but then it'd probably have broken down whereas in stock 112hp form it took a beating and kept on going.

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Would love to do something like this, maybe next summer. Did a similar thing across Eastern Europe this year but took 4000 miles and around £500 in petrol alone! This is obviously a lot closer to home.

I've driven on winding roads before in the M3, but never roads such as those along the Highlands. I thought I'd be left in the corners by the lighter hot hatches, but in reality nobody pulled too far ahead of anyone else and everyone had a right blast tackling those technical sections. Any reasonable gaps were made up for during the flatter bends or straights.

Regardless though, no matter what pace you go at, you're gonna have a great time. The views, the roads, the sheep and the cattle... :D

The quality of the roads were mixed. There are new sections of tarmac littered around, with old sections mostly on the single track roads. Plenty of pot holes to try and avoid, as well as sharp cuts in the tarmac layer to watch out for if you're having to squeeze past a camper van. A few times I thought I'd be scraping an alloy on them, but got lucky.

Last edited:
Soldato
Day 3:

We were all up fairly early and ready for our drive from Durness to Gairloch but first we figured we'd stop by Smoo Cave as it was close by.

It's a cool little cave with a boat that you can go in for a little tour but we left out the boat / tour bit. The walk down was nice and easy although the walk back up to the cars wasn't as fun, much steeper than it seemed when we'd gone down.

We didn't stay for too long, just wandered down and around for a bit then back up to the cars and on to our next stop...

y3m2VYLcQdLMg5N1peYViV5lpxzssTGaInwUG7XdOaK-8E6xAScbwHmjDgzdfLSKy-lKmNfXvWePSlkNTeSs-dIjbiuRPRh1_ex3Mvn_XSsv7joSRHNSKEJqNNfmGiPrEGZPCazotQvHAgGpcR87flMpvbCNWSUAEBfpB3-oxpPPh4

y3mAXbTeFOZDbbWL2WXMwqblmSAm-WDLwwzStSzPq2jWdlq2MBqSKxib9T9uZhVkh0KG2r8OgWke1AIMn8MOZHs4G30oigFApv69xTmeuNhuVzOUV7F1B2NRwJ4A2e_fkTuuIbCUcIUffN4kuQMbdgyKPti8H6d5Wm3D0xhnS7hWRg

y3mtKL4jCUmhI6akOx9ZWD5W6pm81y_sv32yJoRLL3nYBwF353bAzqDUDJJaDJqfywfBRVr-gvhZYzBqJTnQ0jdY50x2iRVFbW7VuCafPJn-pL2XCCV-O2Oe3jkaVKHm0JQ8iZzAdGnJzaT0OfhPCUyy3vAbcg-4W_CaYNswCGxS00

Best.

Hot chocolate.

Ever.

From there we drove on to Kylesku Bridge which is fairly famous from car mags and the like, pretty cool bridge and it's where we filmed the fly by video.

y3mATDkL8xiOvJHUr8sihZ7Ole4NKkF_IEzhrPYC9rWujilmbqFDB3_YuOBa6Ptvg65HOOo75KUbD7pZug2lEhPDUv2-IYWY7AdQiqP2lE5aG1lZdWQu_e7zSczR_sby3Rjr_1rRqeu6GuDtUz4raMDrfK34O8k1_k0Cw332yETfpc

We also then stopped off at the Kylesku Hotel which was a lovely little place tucked away but right on the water's edge, they even have their own boat and fisherman! Stunning views whilst we ate out delicious locally caught fish and chips, quite honestly, it's the best I've ever had, light and crispy batter, soft and succulent fish, delcious chips and home made tartar sauce.

y3mwpC1_a1IYE_toOXrdArsic4GwW4gHy6H2NuffkdEyqAY7YZFJk_IRc-E00giHmjAlTyAcZg94PoV95mBSzJQTjZThR3T7KeqFzHvuKRE3ulfWXEljClZgB5krehqA4tBQJQgaCvw0cG9kuJkxkBlPHUTZ70PT1u008TJk_Abk28

y3mCHzBP1TZwF_9G86e55Hd5H_Ii27IpX0ZuEzXhDgvDPzeMWMdygfsk-iyoWFET2gYSaw0Dg290m-P6yEuIkeeBp7HzG9QPYjWm5_x6874j0fQcKGYtfGBbH30mxTzK4hAGg6YCp4LdXmVFkaf1YuZsyrLme2P5WDMuCkID1w-nWE

From Kylesku we headed on along the coast via Drumbeg and Clachtoll down some very tiny roads with "No caravans" signs on them...didn't seem to stop people mind.

y3mipg9qqyUFJ4b6LaLMLN-S089v9eMfStCrZSLLaxV0S3PWex9TpwprzMALB9zavg4bP-gRhKXfmiXkNSLGFNrexjhsVnIxdazmCDCQqK6gMozJ6O45qnyAEysArMM41phlPwORN0qJborGTUM36FbD7ocAlYdi0pHFgXvXt4rh3E

A quick stop for some tea and a wee at Lochinver.

y3mRbSqml5R4zZjaCgQRboDk5oCBeDTCwSMFJLvTFwgTeXOKQLN8ZKp1yuJX8FDul0X_7M8tb9kTRzNNOcea9wgAn4Y7js7sTZOJWdZpWOPBLGrd8HIFzOM9Rb3wzOYLtMxoXpYTVaNDUlCV-oBPxrYtlMF-vml8odhBJO8h5UeXrg

Back on the road again and this time we took some larger ones on towards Gairloch with a couple more stops on the way to admire the country...one such stop wasn't too good for Bryan, he got mobbed by midges...nice views though.

y3mcVzxzytOFKJQbsNa78PMvOtBD7K51qwcxMr0uj_bbZqY9kCxnYWl0iiYK4R1aLUD3alWeh7TMtXYVIhvwcxuB1dKzWGjsBTDNZaciVdiYYzxhxNUtFB_2qrZd1gK0sddB3OARIfJzGQXoh1Q_RHyFK8pBlYFqaWA-8nf3NIVAdE

Slightly further down the road and yet another stop, for some beach views (and a few more midges for good luck). This was at Second Coast, along the A832, fantastic view and beach.

y3mRfdDhDqfP14w7LMWiGswjWmjcZKQcxOyDKNouYBJNkUJbclhMK0ajWgkk3oAGitRw-5oWLeBjHn9EvU0BHipPiwf91MHdJg_3ChKfbKJSNf8lgwHyATcyDfRoCPO2XQUguiEmnd5buCHVaSzqiMR6JJwIjZl9dBUq9BRQvXP5R8

After that we pretty much just pushed on to Gairloch for the night where we had a decent meal and relaxed for some time in the lounge, despite the rather loud German group.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Great thread, I've enjoyed reading it.

Random question, how did you find the mobile signal up there? I'd assume its pretty patchy?

Caporegime
What's the condition of the roads like? Pot-holes and gravel or okay mostly?

Fine mostly, broken tarmac was the worst. No big holes or gravel.

Great thread, I've enjoyed reading it.

Random question, how did you find the mobile signal up there? I'd assume its pretty patchy?

Was awful. Don't to expect to get any mobile data outside of any large town.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Strange thing is on a few higher up areas I was getting 3G.

I'm ready with my pics now, will post when home, along with replies to a few comments above.

OcUK Staff
What's the condition of the roads like? Pot-holes and gravel or okay mostly?

The roads are superb actually, the only issue are some are narrow but visibility is good so you just tend to race from passing point to passing point, but any large car groups should split into groups of 5 otherwise the locals will get rather upset and could cause a jam. I went in the M3 with 12 or so Mustangs, no one had any issues and we were always either in 2 or 3 groups. :)

The only issue I had when things got a bit spirited is when people start taking racing lines, the stones and lose chippings getting kicked up is a lot, but either don't follow so close or tell your colleagues in front of you if they want to drive fast then great, but either drive fast enough so they do not hold you up or at least stay on their side of the road. :D

For me NC500 was the best roads I have ever driven, some of them are just like the pictures from route 66 so long and yes you can very easily see crazy speeds of well above 150mph, of course we never went that quick, apart from the stretches that were private driveways of course. ;)

Soldato
OP
The only issue I had when things got a bit spirited is when people start taking racing lines, the stones and lose chippings getting kicked up is a lot, but either don't follow so close or tell your colleagues in front of you if they want to drive fast then great, but either drive fast enough so they do not hold you up or at least stay on their side of the road. :D

Yeah cos this happens :p

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
How's the bodywork looking overall mrk m9?

No issues at all as far as I can see. My windscreen has a couple of tiny chips from the rocks coming out the back of Clown's tree-fiddy, though :p But they're not large enough to even be filled with resin, so it's nothing.

It seems the bodywork got very little battering from stones, everything was being hurled into the air at windscreen height. Going by two of the others getting large stone chips, and Clown's own windscreen having a long crack! I think it's worth advising convoys to keep a greater distance apart than usual, even if the desire to chase is overwhelming on those single track roads :p

Here are my main photos and details. I might have missed a few bits I'm sure, but will update those if they come back to memory. The captions were actually written in the early days of this thread, so excuse any repetition as some stuff will already have been noted by others.

oaHYNJ9.jpg
Driving up via the A9, we stopped every now and then to soak in the landscape. The weather was on our side (and continued to be for 90% of the week really).

MA3RIzV.jpg

Yho6pSB.jpg
Dunrobin Castle and Gardens. Excuse the phone photato.

b0MSf4B.jpg
The falconry show at Dunrobin Castle was both funny and interesting. The guy hosting it knew how to entertain for sure. This Owl was the focus of everyone's attention afterwards.

awADigr.jpg
The small village of Helmsdale. I've uploaded this to my other pages too, and it started to trend on 500px yesterday!
Located on the east coast of Sutherland, this small village is primarily a fishing port and was planned in 1814 for resettlement purposes after the Highland Clearances took place.

The deeper history dates back to the late 1400s, before a once substantial castle and tower stood, and was scene to the murder of the then Earl of Sutherland! It fell to ruin in the 1800s, and in the 1970s, the last remains of the tower were demolished to make way for the new bridge connecting the A9 road. I was glad we stopped by here during our North Coast 500 road trip to see the monuments put up, and to take in this beautiful village.

ypKi7fT.jpg
We were stood around for a while waiting to take a clean photo of this, the most northerly point in the UK mainland.

A huge tourist spot, and selfie sticks pointing in all directions!

ohSazV4.jpg
This was going to be the line-up photo of our cars..

tEQaqgs.jpg
... But a biker who was close by said we should take the cars up to the Groats pole and he'd snap a pic with my camera. Good guy.

u6jQCDJ.jpg
Always wanted to take a shot like this, but down in the south coast of the UK, we don't get such sights.

An ideal opportunity presented itself during our North Coast 500 road trip, and here it is!

89lniDH.jpg

DEJXD5A.jpg

ZIoiokA.jpg

81N7fSo.jpg

uCg0fbZ.jpg

5gdWzTI.jpg
The poos from these guys have splattered my car many times down south.
Northern seagulls appear to prefer being more majestic, though.

9VNXF7S.jpg

hJQTFZt.jpg
Don't think I've ever seen clouds touching the top of a mountain in person before.

PYMJFdZ.jpg
Stone stacking has several different meaning. Often found by water sources, but also used for marker points for travellers.
Commonly though, they are used to signify a spiritual moment.

A zen moment , somewhere to meditate. We found these at a lay-by overlooking ma lake and mountains in the Tongue Causeway.

cyzyKk4.jpg
A group photo during sundown in Tongue, had to be done.

Dykc3IN.jpg
At night in Smoo, Andrew and I explored the surroundings for any interesting photo locations. We only got so far really, but this portrait with the SIgma 35mm 1.4 came out neat.

VjCQ0rN.jpg
In Smoo during the midnight hour, myself and Andrew went out hunting the stars too, in particular the Galactic Core. Sadly though, the clouds were too bright in the moonlight.

Still, had the opportunity to expose distant stars instead during a clearance in the clouds. A satellite can be seen orbiting across the sky lower left of the frame.

dNmzPxP.jpg
Andrew doing an Alan Wake impression.

9FAlLqU.jpg
Then I had to do an Alan Wake impression.

KduuNqz.jpg
In the morning, we wandered around the Smoo cave entrance.

dsHvG6f.jpg
This view wasn't immediately obvious when we arrived the evening before. I bet sunsets/rises are impressive from this viewing point.

VJNak7Z.jpg

3NcaVqB.jpg
A man on a boat calmly rowed in from within the cave.

8qJkceZ.jpg
Later, we hit up Kylesku Bridge. A popular location to stop and take photos, as well as admire the landscape.

KlBaihv.jpg

FFdPLkk.jpg
Kylesku Bridge, right side view

sk4lb2n.jpg
Kylesku Bridge

AVEymp7.jpg
A local outside the Kylesku Hotel was happy for his portrait to be taken. It would be great to send him a copy of this,

I have tagged the hotel on the left on Facebook, just in-case someone reads about it that knows him.

iuukrtZ.jpg
The view from the restaurant at the Kylesku Hotel was impressive. The waters were so clear, so clean.

2RAzf3q.jpg
A man with a dog were walking by, the dog knew exactly the right look to give.

1Rd1GaY.jpg
Achnasheen - We stopped at various points to take in some amazing scenery. This is the kind of stuff I'd only seen on TV in the past.

Photos don't really do it justice! That little house at the bottom gives perspective of how large just this one 35mm frame of this area is

KCAO73T.jpg

g8Hj1HV.jpg
Black Hill, isle of Skye

6ANYE70.jpg

lX4paod.jpg

V1ef9bB.jpg
Car didn't let me down once, the poor windscreen was mashed with bugs, and needed cleaning every morning at least! Wipers simply didn't help.

PufEJaI.jpg
Andrew did his best Donkey Kong impression in the Isle of Skye. Barrels were not rolled.

sUzsU1c.jpg
Later, we went out in Skye to try and get more star shots, Rob inspects some images from that night

bSpmxJZ.jpg
Success! the night was clear for an hour or so before clouds moved in.

We managed quite a few shots of the galactic core. But I wanted to take a deep space exposure first.

I have read that on average, you can see up to 5000 stars with your eyes on a clear night with low light pollution levels.

This long exposure captured far more than what the eye could see. Light from distant stars that may not exist today due to the time it has taken for their light to reach our planet.

The galactic core sneaks into the lower left of the frame.

oaGBQj9.jpg
The exposure was 4s / f1.6 / iso 6400, and was enough to capture M31, the Andromeda Galaxy (center left).

66m2qr0.jpg
Torches in the night, something cool about them!

tcwndok.jpg
Many people call this the Milky Way, they're mostly correct, although we ourselves are in the Milky Way., we cannot see the centre of it. It's a huge galaxy,.

This is the galactic core, the band of stars and gas/dust cloud that can be seen on a clear night once your eyes have adjusted to the darkness.

The stars in long exposure photos you see are usually much much older than you might think, millions of years old. It has taken that long for their faint light to reach us

RtYrcwf.jpg
With the glow of Skye in the background, and the silhouette from the torch behind the car, a neat group photo was in order.

VjDGRhC.jpg

rgYQqTf.jpg

YjyEJy4.jpg
And then the clouds moved in...

R3vtiw6.jpg
I had another go myself.

ZbMSDCS.jpg
Once driven over Skye bridge, another lay-by stop was done for more photos of the amazing view we were leaving behind.

pxkLQeC.jpg
The castle is a big tourist spot, and for good reason. It looks stunning as you drive by on the A87. The still water reflecting it, the mountains in the background, and if you're lucky, the weather, all make for a picture perfect scene.

The castle has been around since the Iron Age, and been rebuilt a few times over its time. I didn't go inside, but it is said to be like the Doctor's Tardis, much bigger than it looks from the outside!

UIKX1GN.jpg
Equally beautiful neighbouring scenery opposite the Eilean Donan Castle.

n9Qmckp.jpg
Cairngorm Mountain Train.

The train line spans 2KM, and takes you up the northern slope. The ride took 8 minutes, and felt like the same feeling you got when playing Half-Life for the first time.

No cheesy music during the ride, just a calm recorded voice explaining how it all came to be.

v9E3e9U.jpg
The museum section of the resort at the top had some cool things to show and tell you about. the mountain and its range.

I'd never heard of the Grey Man before, so had to read up on it later that night. Seems lots of people have reported the same uneasy feeling,hearing footsteps and seeing the shadow.

Spooky.

Qw7imHd.jpg
The viewing point at the top was stunning. The recorded voice on the train said on a clear day, visibility can span as far as 90 miles.

Not long after this photo was taken, the rain clouds moved in. At this height, clouds move much faster than they appear at ground level.

The temperature on the viewing deck was 1°C. My tea was getting too cold too fast when I popped out for a "highest tea" photo!

nMptsbh.jpg
Peter took this moving shot. Sadly the car shots that follow were taken by me, and don't quite capture the motion quite so well!

TSi3WTC.jpg

g0RYhzs.jpg

UzY7Qa9.jpg

P7P5YOP.jpg

9tfWh6x.jpg

0iMogF8.jpg
Run Forest, run! Peter runs back after taking a photograph down the crest of the road.

FPF2atd.jpg
Peter in action.

Wp1Brwy.jpg

re4dunG.jpg
A walled house in the middle of a Scottish fault line. Quite strange seeing houses in the middle of nowhere dotted about the landscape.

I had the cameras rolling during the Applecross pass descent, it's several minutes long, but gives you an idea of how busy it was that day. The BMW X driver though, dunno what his problem was! There were bikers and cyclists all over it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom