Ruined phone - advice

Soldato
My iPhone got a lovely 90 degree machine wash yesterday along with the bed sheets so needless to say, it's uined and I don't expect x amount of hours spent in a bag of rice will remedy the damage done.

I've never damaged or lost a phone in my life so not sure what to do in this situation - as silly as it sounds.

I'll be phoning the insurance tomorrow, either my bank or home contents but I realise this won't be a quick turnaround and I need my phone for business. Clients have my number, for example and I'm out of the office often.

I have an older style iPhone kicking about but that requires a slightly larger sim.

The question is, do I:
1. Get a PAYG replacement sim on a different number(not convenient) for my old iphone and use until the insurance eventually steps up.
2. Take out a new phone contract with a new iPhone and take the hit until my contract expires at the end of the year.
3. Get my provider to supply a sim card with the same number on a larger sim on for the old iphone until I can get the insurance sorted?

Any alternatives? I know it seems like a pointless and silly question but I've never dealt with this scenario and feel slightly cut off from the rest of the world right now :p

edit: forgot to add, I assume its easy enough to recover all my messages, phone book etc from iCloud once I get a replacement phone? Should I be wary of using the old iPhone unless it wipes over a backup point?

Last edited:

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
Depending on your insurance via bank it could be very quick. I reported mine broken at 7pm one night and had a new device by 4pm the next day - voucher for full RRP given at carphone warehouse. This was aviva underwritten provided by Natwest.

Soldato
OP
Perfect, cheers guys. I hadn't realised you could get a sim converter or that a new single sim had multiple sizes to breakout :o I'll be picking one up this evening.

I'll just need to hope that my old iPhone can accept a new network on it.

Depending on your insurance via bank it could be very quick. I reported mine broken at 7pm one night and had a new device by 4pm the next day - voucher for full RRP given at carphone warehouse. This was aviva underwritten provided by Natwest.

I wish, they want the phone sent away for repair/inspection before deciding wether to replace it or not, I think the turnaround time is 7 days for inspection. Which isn't bad but you feel it when you rely on your phone.

Soldato
I was pleasantly surprised when I used my bank insurance, after reading some horror stories.

Phone was complete loss water damaged, paid the excess, and about 7 quid to send it via special delivery.
Turnaround was fairly quick as it was non repaiable, less than a wewk.

I received a brand new 'factory' refurb, in a sealed retail box, but without accsesories charger, headphones.

Soldato
Rice did nothing for mine, but your mileage may vary.

I made the mistake of trying to turn mine on too soon after dunking it so I probably fried it.

Soldato
Turnaround was about 5 working days with whoever Nationwide cover you with. Surprisingly painless process and did a great repair job seeing how the back of the phone was shattered and front cracked with some dents on the side. Phone seems completely waterproof too again but needless to say the sister has now been forced to put a case on her phone :D

Back
Top Bottom