No Man's Sky - Procedural space game

Man of Honour
My goodness there are some bitter people out there. Fine, we get it, you don't like the game. Go post somewhere else, it isn't cool anymore. Can we not just leave this thread for those playing the game and not put our own assumptions on other people.

Man of Honour
My goodness there are some bitter people out there. Fine, we get it, you don't like the game. Go post somewhere else, it isn't cool anymore. Can we not just leave this thread for those playing the game and not put our own assumptions on other people.

IMO it is important that anyone browsing this thread with an eye to picking up the game gets a balance of views to base their purchase on.

Soldato
Latest patch notes :

Objectives and stuck without Hyper-drive Issues

Player no longer able to redeem your pre-order ship at a point which would then prevent you learning the hyper-drive blueprint (and if you have done this, we save you).
Player no longer able to bypass being sent to find hyper-drive tech by reloading a save in game at a very specific point.

Getting Stuck in the world

Fixed a couple of low repro bugs that could result in you falling through the world and getting stuck underground.
A raycast in some space stations could hit a very specific point that would put the player inside the floor.
Fixed an issue that would cause your ship to be thrown in the sky at high speed when taking off (in rare cases could in turn lead to getting stuck).
Fixed an issue that would cause your ship to get stuck in terrain and prevent you from taking off, if the player managed to out run generation of terrain LOD 1, and land inside an overhang.

Gameplay

Some players were unable to achieve the extreme survival journey milestone, this has been resolved.
Fixed an issue where some players had some technology types being reported as “already known” when they weren’t actually known.
Under some circumstances a message was sometimes misinforming you that you learnt a blueprint when you hadn’t, this has been fixed now.
It was possible you could use up all available slots for waypoints on the galaxy map and be unable to set new waypoints. This is much better now.
There was a bug that could cause objective markers to disappear when you loaded a previous save. This is fixed now.
Fixed a rare issue when scanning creatures that would cause all planets to show as 100% complete even if you had only completed one.

Save / Load

Fixed a bug what could cause some corrupt save games to not be loaded, this is now fixed.
Fixed an issue where saves made with the system clock set in the future could cause problems.

Crash Fixes

Fixed a crash that would sometimes happen when warping into a system with a space battle in progress.
Fixed a crash that could happen when interacting with an NPC.

Tweaks and Improvements

It is now easier to scan flying creatures.
Fixed height and weight stats being the wrong way around for creatures.
Gek towers can no longer be interacted with repeatedly.
The ‘You have unredeemed items’ message will now only show for the first 5 minutes.
Fixed getting 0% charge on Photon Cannon when buying a new ship and constantly being prompted to charge it.
Reduce Suit VO for life support warnings and only do life support VO on 25% and 50%.
Fixed grave being transferred to the new star system after you warp.
Fixed toxic protection 3 (theta) from having the wrong name.
Fixed incorrect marking of sea caves under floating islands.
Turning down music and SFX volume in the options will now work correctly (mutes the VO also).
If you change ship or multi-tool and then revert to previous save the ship should now be the one you had at the time.
Atlas station collision improvements to prevent you from bumping into them too much.
Fix for the stars not being discarded during load/warp (causing duplicate stars).

PC Only Issues
Editing the settings file and corrupting it could cause the game to crash. Instead of crashing it will now revert back to the default settings.
The inventory screen now works correctly regardless of resolution.
Added error message for older CPUs without SSE3 support.
Synchronise frame capping with the first vsync (removes some framerate issues).
Added steam id to login call to help track down some login issues.
Fixed the X key size on the galaxy map.
If you press Tab+P in quick succession, the game paused and didn’t let you out of it.
Fixed a performance issue by defaulting your texture resolution to a sensible value based on available GPU memory.

Permabanned
IMO it is important that anyone browsing this thread with an eye to picking up the game gets a balance of views to base their purchase on.

I do think there are some circumstances where a refund is justified. Game being buggy beyond belief or something to that extent. But after 5+ hours of play time to decide you're not really a fan? Nah.

Fair enough, they may have lied about a few of the features and the game wasn't as polished as it should have been. But we're the most informed generation in history. People need to stop this 'have it on day one' mentality and wait for balanced, informative reviews to come out. Align yourself with a critic/reviewer who share your preferences and opinions and go off what they say. Better yet, watch a live stream! Then you'll get an even better idea of what you'll be buying.

Like I said, I do think the refund system (especially on the console digital market places) needs to be re addressed. But telling people to be informed as consumers should always take priority over 'sod it, you can just get a refund regardless'. I understand it's not a case of 'either or', but still.

Last edited:
Associate
A few more for your viewing pleasure:

8197CAAC7A5CD5E3FA7D782562F939654693CB66

E6313AADE29E7BD05973C8B453A63DE341AAABBD

55D32E7A5DD68CAF58D65D16730F169B37703EFD

FCE047C40A489225A1F9262B274D5B9574F1BA6D

Man of Honour
But after 5+ hours of play time to decide you're not really a fan? Nah.

First 10 hours of playing I went through a lot of mixed opinion and emotions in regard to the game - in this case I really don't feel 2 hours is enough. I'm certain that if I'd have followed the game progress and bought into the PR by around 10 hours in I'd have felt utterly cheated and due a refund.

Personally I bought it out of a general interest in the style of game, to play with the tech and have found some enjoyment from it due to mods that have allowed me to do things that aren't part of the intended gameplay but I really don't have a particularly positive view of the game.

Permabanned
First 10 hours of playing I went through a lot of mixed opinion and emotions in regard to the game - in this case I really don't feel 2 hours is enough. I'm certain that if I'd have followed the game progress and bought into the PR by around 10 hours in I'd have felt utterly cheated and due a refund.

In this case I'd say, well, too bad. If people aren't willing to invest a little time checking out videos and reviews that are readily available then I don't really have any sympathy.

It's just so all over the place. When does it stop?

"Well I only enjoyed about half of the game so can I get half my money back?"

Man of Honour
In this case I'd say, well, too bad. If people aren't willing to invest a little time checking out videos and reviews that are readily available then I don't really have any sympathy.

I checked out a few reviews - many quite mixed with quite a few coming back and revising their impressions a few days later after I'd read or watched them, watched one guy who'd put about 80 hours in doing the last 2-3 hours or so to the centre and still didn't really pickup on a lot of stuff or get a proper impression of the game until I'd played it for a few hours myself.

Soldato
Deus Ex Mankind Divided is 10 quid less on GMG, it's far superior and came out after NMS. Crazy.

Tbh, most of these 'eye candy' screenshots of NMS scenery or space look pretty naff to me, more like a PS3 game. Compare the scenery shots to The Witcher 3 or Skyrim and the space shots to Elite Dangerous or Star Citizen. Not even close.

In fact the space shots remind me of Homeworld and look like the same quality too, with all the bright colours and that came out in 1999 lol!

Last edited:
Soldato
Deus Ex Mankind Divided is 10 quid less on GMG, it's far superior and came out after NMS. Crazy.

Tbh, most of these 'eye candy' screenshots of NMS scenery or space look pretty naff to me, more like a PS3 game. Compare the scenery shots to The Witcher 3 or Skyrim and the space shots to Elite Dangerous or Star Citizen. Not even close.

In fact the space shots remind me of Homeworld and look like the same quality too, with all the bright colours and that came out in 1999 lol!

Fair comment, NMS needs a few graphical improvements especially the textures.
I don't get the elite hype however, watched hours of video and looks so boring/uninspired.
Agree with SC though, can't wait. Bought in a while back but there isn't much to do at the mo so waiting it out.

Man of Honour

The shots with modded space and sweetfx or whatever don't look too bad with a lot more black and higher contrast in the stars, etc.

Soldato
Tell you what is annoying me more now is the complete lack of digital goods consumer rights.

I requested a refund purely out of annoyance at the fact it isn't as advertised. Standard answer back is 'nope, you've played more than 2 hours'.

So do I now have to refund every game I buy before the two hour point if it doesn't deliver exactly what is shown on the steam store page?

If you spent £40 on some physical electronic goods and realised after a few hours it doesnt do half the stuff thats shown on the box, and the product just isn't the same you can pretty much be guaranteed a refund.

This market is in serious need of regulation in some form.

I went in calm and polite for my first 4 requests, the last one I worded a lot more strongly in the existing support ticket, quite interested to see their next reply.

Associate

Those games are praised for their graphical fidelity. No Man's Sky doesn't attempt to be realistic, it's much more stylistic in contrast.
There's a lot to be said about a colourful landscape! High resolution textures and fancy effects aren't the be-all and end-all.
Do you discredit artwork that isn't a realistic portrait or landscape?

Edit: I'm particularly fond of this screenshot:

2yTgiSI.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm trying for the 2nd time for my refund. My response to their pre-scripted reply was to include screenshots of users with more more playtime than me who have had their game refunded.

It'll show up on their recent activity but not show in their list of games.

Soldato
I'm trying for the 2nd time for my refund. My response to their pre-scripted reply was to include screenshots of users with more more playtime than me who have had their game refunded.

It'll show up on their recent activity but not show in their list of games.

Include the youtube link for the Jurassic Park meme when explaining how it was different to what was advertised, I did & got refund. :)

Back
Top Bottom