Handbrake Use With Automatics!

Soldato
Had my car in a merc garage today to get a fly wheel changed and I asked them to check out a faint rubbing moise I could hear from the rear wheel area.

He seemed shocked when I told him I always use my handbrake when I leave the car! Seemed to think that the park "gear" is good enough!

I park on a slight slope at night, so I would always put it on then, but on a day to day basis what does everyone else do?

Caporegime
My old mans 528i failed every mot it had in his ownership due to sized handbrake, he never used it just left it in park, once I bought the car and started using the handbrake occasionally it was fine.

No you don't technically need the handbrake with an auto left in park but over time it'll seize up through lack of use.

Soldato
Never use the handbrake, it has one of those foot parking brakes which is clearly not designed to be used, you have to be a contortionist to operate it just like every other car I've used with one.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Not used a handbrake on an automatic (only drive autos generally) in years and years. I'm happy for it to just get adjusted at MOT time should it seize up.

Soldato
I use mine when parking on an incline. It doesn't seem right to rely solely on the parking pawl.

My car has hill launch assist so I don't need to use it for hill starts (double clutch box with a small delay as the clutch engages).

Soldato
i've seen some bad things happen after people not leaving handbrakes on. like a pickup driving through the wall at our garage. that was great to watch on cctv :p

Associate
Always use the parking brake, like Sherbs says it a habit from driving a manual for so long.

I sometimes use it when stopped in queue of traffic out of courtesy to the driver behind me - stops my brake lights from burning out their retinas. Wish more drivers would do the same. Autohold still puts on the brake lights on too though.

Back
Top Bottom