Caustic Soda

Soldato
Here is another for you if safety is a concern:

What is more likely?

A bottle falling off the top shelf and splitting along the plastic seam as it hits the floor and splatters everywhere

or

A child undoing a sealed bottle with a safety cap, then drinking it.

I did my time in a supermarket as a kid, i know which one happens on a daily basis...

Soldato
I know, which is why the OP has perceived a problem where there isn't one or at least a negligible hazard.

They have increased the risk (even slightly and if only for children) by storing it on the bottom shelf. Unsupervised children have direct access to it and given time may be able to get inside the container. On the flip side, storing it on the top shelf introduces other risks such as spills, increased strain on lifting bags above waist height e.g. manual handling etc. Just because every other shop sells it like this, doesn't make it "correct", it just means on the balance of probability this is the safest place to store it.

Low down where children may have access (but should be supervised anyway) vs. storing it up high and introducing the hazards described above. A good compromise would be waist height but then you can never truly remove risk, so it depends how far you wish to peruse this risk.

Irrelevant, because the same child could wander into B&Q next door and help themselves to a swig of methylated spirits (which are stored floor to above head height in an entire section) if not supervised and given enough time. It's perfectly legal, and people who are worried about it should just be better parents.

Associate
Problem is caustic soda isn't the most sought after item in the store, most things put at eye level will be the more popular brands (where you are more likely to see them and think "I'll grab that").

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Irrelevant, because the same child could wander into B&Q next door and help themselves to a swig of methylated spirits (which are stored floor to above head height in an entire section) if not supervised and given enough time. It's perfectly legal, and people who are worried about it should just be better parents.

I'm giving you my advice as a chartered safety professional. I agree with what you're saying regarding parental supervision, but the fact is that this type of storage does increase the risk (but it is negligible)

Associate
What facts?

I know all the facts:

It is not illegal

There are no restrictions in height product placement, only the individuals store policy

It must be in a sealed childproof bottle

I also know full well the effects of caustic soda, just like everyone else who attended year 9 chemistry. I admit that some members are trolling but only because OP sees danger on a shelf when it is just paranoia born from the freak accident published every handful of years in news papers, for the sake of shocking a reader into being interested.

You don't appear to be aware of this fact:

http://capt.org.uk/safety-advice/keeping-children-safe-poisoning
Child-resistant tops and strip and blister packs for tablets help to slow children down but they are not childproof. Some 3-4 year olds can open them in seconds!

Associate
I'm giving you my advice as a chartered safety professional. I agree with what you're saying regarding parental supervision, but the fact is that this type of storage does increase the risk (but it is negligible)

There you go, he is a Pro. An Uber safety guru, round ended scissors and no running in the corridors etc.

In your opinion what is best, naval, nipple or eye level?

(I have seen some tall toddlers, they tend to go for nipples)

Last edited:
Woman of Honour
Man of Honour
A child who is old enough to go to the Asian shop unsupervised, would more often than not be going for a reason other than to purchase Caustic Soda I should think.

However, a child who is not old enough to realise what it is and is lured by the shiny bottle would be in the shop supervised by their parent/guardian surely? :confused:

BB x

Associate
Whilst Asian supermarkets are not singled out I would say that judging by the multiple articles in peer reviewed scientific medical journals it would appear that somehow, somewhere the little darlings manage to ingest caustic soda and other nasties like button batteries (popular in Manchester if not Brighton where there are helicopter parents).

Why else would the medical profession publish and share their experience of managing the aftermath of these accidents.

Soldato

So the item falls from the top shelf as said child is struggling to reach it... And poof, we have a caustic soda cloud.

I'm assuming this unsupervised hypothetical child is also climbing on the shelves of course.

Meanwhile in ASDA up and down the land, there's bleach, dishwasher tables and no doubt some caustic soda on the bottom shelf :p

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

So the item falls from the top shelf as said child is struggling to reach it... And poof, we have a caustic soda cloud.

I'm assuming this unsupervised hypothetical child is also climbing on the shelves of course.

Meanwhile in ASDA up and down the land, there's bleach, dishwasher tables and no doubt some caustic soda on the bottom shelf :p

I've never said top shelf? In fact I said waist height would be marginally better but the risk on the bottom shelf is negligible anyway :confused:

I'm out of this thread tbh.

Soldato
I've never said top shelf? In fact I said waist height would be marginally better but the risk on the bottom shelf is negligible anyway :confused:

I'm out of this thread tbh.

Oh I know, just couldn't help myself

Yes, CLOUD of poison, killing ALL unsupervised children within 50m

E: sorry everyone, I'm going for a job at the Daily Mail

Back
Top Bottom