Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
Are the coax cables for tv/broadband interchangeable? I have some old telewest coax points in the house so was looking at going the self install route. Problem is that the broadband coax is in a cupboard in the middle of nowhere so I'd like to plug the router into the coax that comes in behind the TV (broadband only, not having tv). If this is possible I can self install next week otherwise I'm going to have to wait for an engineer visit.

Yes. Power levels may vary though.

Soldato
Are the coax cables for tv/broadband interchangeable? I have some old telewest coax points in the house so was looking at going the self install route. Problem is that the broadband coax is in a cupboard in the middle of nowhere so I'd like to plug the router into the coax that comes in behind the TV (broadband only, not having tv). If this is possible I can self install next week otherwise I'm going to have to wait for an engineer visit.

yes u can, I've done this

Associate
Anyone have a Superhub 3? I just got given one of the white ones due to a faulty original superhub and its such a pain in the arse.....

The GUI is the slowest thing, takes 10seconds before i can even enter the password and then changing from page to page in settings takes between 5-10seconds.

Really is pathetic, my old WRT54GL is 100x faster than this!

Soldato
Anyone have a Superhub 3? I just got given one of the white ones due to a faulty original superhub and its such a pain in the arse.....

The GUI is the slowest thing, takes 10seconds before i can even enter the password and then changing from page to page in settings takes between 5-10seconds.

Really is pathetic, my old WRT54GL is 100x faster than this!

Yes its a pile of garbage.

Network detectable devices are iffy if it will even see them,
Ie. My WiFi printer has to connect via IP can network scan for it. My fire TV app on my phone can't see either of the fire TVs.

It doesn't work in modem only mode it will randomly lose internet. Known fault had the engineer round the other week.

Associate
Yes its a pile of garbage.

Network detectable devices are iffy if it will even see them,
Ie. My WiFi printer has to connect via IP can network scan for it. My fire TV app on my phone can't see either of the fire TVs.

It doesn't work in modem only mode it will randomly lose internet. Known fault had the engineer round the other week.

Well thats worrying...running it in modem mode was going to be my backup if it turned out to be rubbish.

The engineer that came yesterday explained how much better the new black SH3 was and how the white one was garbage, opened up the box to my router and it was the white one.......he quickly shut up after that.

So it seems there is a new SH that is more reliable.

Soldato
Couple of weeks ago i got an email,Your free upgrade to 200MB is now ready at no extra cost.

Yesterday received a letter saying my bill is going up by £3.50. (Bare in mind my bill is usually around £95-110 pm) depending on phone usage.

Im very tempted now to phone VM up and basically say due to the price increase i no longer am happy to carry on with the service as they Virgin media have broke the contract and put up the price.

I was thinking of doing away with the Tivos anyway,They're slow..youtube is useless on them,And the stuff they broadcast isnt exactly worth it anymore..i might as well go FreeSat or Freeview HD.

Permabanned
Really sick of the Tivo box, so slow, on demand of any sort takes an age to load, crap interface.

Going to see if I can cancel my TV and Phone and get a Sky deal for TV(maybe the new Q box if can get a deal). Either that or cut the TV cord completely.

Permabanned
Really sick of the Tivo box, so slow, on demand of any sort takes an age to load, crap interface.

Going to see if I can cancel my TV and Phone and get a Sky deal for TV(maybe the new Q box if can get a deal). Either that or cut the TV cord completely.

If you're quick you get get Sky Q with all channels including sports and movies for £29 pm or £20 if you don't want sports or movies. Offer ends at midnight tonight though http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/sh...m_campaign=nt-oneliners-one&utm_content=2#sky

Soldato
Well thats worrying...running it in modem mode was going to be my backup if it turned out to be rubbish.

The engineer that came yesterday explained how much better the new black SH3 was and how the white one was garbage, opened up the box to my router and it was the white one.......he quickly shut up after that.

So it seems there is a new SH that is more reliable.

the specs are the same, it's just the colour that different

Associate
My over-utilization review date has been moved from 2nd September to 22nd December. I originally brought it up in March.

I've been waiting for them to fix my **** internet since March, and they just keep screwing around.

I'm meant to be getting 150mb but barely hitting 20, plus have consistently high ping (500+) to any service meaning online gaming is horrific.

They even had the cheek to credit my account £20 for essentially 9 months of awful service.

Associate
My over-utilization review date has been moved from 2nd September to 22nd December. I originally brought it up in March.

I've been waiting for them to fix my **** internet since March, and they just keep screwing around.

I'm meant to be getting 150mb but barely hitting 20, plus have consistently high ping (500+) to any service meaning online gaming is horrific.

They even had the cheek to credit my account £20 for essentially 9 months of awful service.

When I was with Virgin they moved back the review date 3 times in the 12 months I was at the property and never got fixed
I also had to ring every month for them to credit anything to my account
I got £10 from a £35 bill but I was getting as low as 5Mbs on some evenings
I'm back on ADSL now stuck at 9Mbs which sucks but at least I know its reliable and actually represents some for of value for money whilst I wait for Hyperoptic to be installed

Virgin are a waste of space and the amount they charge is ridiculous for the service you get in some areas

Associate
When I was with Virgin they moved back the review date 3 times in the 12 months I was at the property and never got fixed
I also had to ring every month for them to credit anything to my account
I got £10 from a £35 bill but I was getting as low as 5Mbs on some evenings
I'm back on ADSL now stuck at 9Mbs which sucks but at least I know its reliable and actually represents some for of value for money whilst I wait for Hyperoptic to be installed

Virgin are a waste of space and the amount they charge is ridiculous for the service you get in some areas

That's a shame. Doesn't look like I'm going to get anywhere with them.

They didn't plan for the area, a new housing estate was built across the road then my internet became absolutely awful.

Associate
Finally just managed to get upgraded to Vivid200 Gamer for an extra £1.25pm and free SH3.

Have to wait until the 8th for the new Hub and 20MB upload config.

Are there any problems with the SH3 in modem mode?

Back
Top Bottom