Am I being daft? (pulling out of house move due to broadband speed)

Soldato
OP
I am on Infinity 1 right now, around 36Mbs and that is fine, i wouldnt want much less though but I dont really crave the Infinity 2 I have had before (76Mbs)

The house move is definately off now though.

BT say the landline number I have been given from the vendor was used by a sandwich shop in the town centre quite recently and the broadband checker records must not have been updatde to the houses address.
Strange for them to move a business number to a house so soon after the business has closed as you would expect to be getting orders for butties all day :D

Associate
I would probably pull out too, i've just bought a place and it doesn't currently have FTTC. I could justify it because the cab has recently been built and will be accepting orders in a month or two so it was only a short wait

Soldato
I am sorry but anyone who says 100mb is overkill, has never lived with 100mb day-to-day. I went from 60mb back to 2mb when i changed properties and it was the stuff of nightmares.

But going from a 60mb to a 2mb would be silly. That doesn't back up your point of nothing less than 100mb down. I've lived with that and I'm fine on 60 down.

For me I would say nothing less than 20mb up...

Man of Honour
I'd lose my income, Service level agreements that require me to fix problems within x hours... I need access to internet for work and keeping **** running. I manage about ~150 unattended selfservice kiosks with one other person.

Even an hour of downtime is unacceptable.

My guess is you'd lose your income even quicker if you had no electricity, compared to having electricity and having to go online via 4G.

In any case, if internet is so critical to your income/work then there is an argument to suggest that you should have a business connection and some form of redundancy/failover. That's not the same scenario as a standard home user.

In recent months my (and many others in my town) internet connection has been disconnecting up to 30 times per day. It's really, really annoying but losing electricity would be even worse.

Caporegime
If you had SLAs that you had to stick to and they all involved remote access to services then you'd have more than one connection over different connection technologies.

The trend I see for business users is that they have much lower speed requirements than home users, but value reliability, latency and repair times in the event of faults. We have several offices with 200Mbps circuits between 50 staff and rarely see a sustained peak over 30Mbps.

Soldato
Which I have, in office we have Fiber and as backup a 50 mbit cable (and various 4g modems, though mostly for testing purposes).

At home I have cable plus multiple mobile connections, I can manage a day even on my regular private mobile bundle.

Is downtime normal in your opinion? I never get ''random'' downtime on cable, except sometimes 10-30 mins in the middle of the night on announced maintenance once per 2-3 months...

I don't have a business myself but work for a boss, but yeah, business connection over cable is available @ 500/50mbit here, exact same infrastructure as my home connection though.

My guess is you'd lose your income even quicker if you had no electricity,
Aye, no UPS at home, though multiple mobile devices with batteries (lappy's, tablets, phones) that would go a long way in case of power outage.

In recent months my (and many others in my town) internet connection has been disconnecting up to 30 times per day. It's really, really annoying but losing electricity would be even worse.
That is appalling tbh, how can they get away with 30 disconnects per day?

A while ago I complained about a few lost packets once every couple of days (24/7 ping test), they immediately sceduled an upgrade for next maintanance, and also sent me a newer modem to see if that helps (which ironically, is still in it's box sealed, to lazy to re-do router settings even though the new modem has better features). Had no problems at all after they ''fixed'' the problem.

The stock Cisco modems they provided a while ago are a bit rubbish, but they will turn them to ''bridge'' mode at request, and then you can put a decent router that can handle heavy traffic on it, so the stock one only behaves as a modem instead of modem+router.

Last edited:
Caporegime
It's an insurance policy, no you never expect to have downtime but you should still plan for it. Even something as unlikely as a power supply failing for an ONT would leave you unable to fulfil any obligations you have as a home worker, so a 4G modem or whatever is a cheap enough investment to make it worth having.

We are straying massively away from the topic of what a home user 'needs' - the answer is that there is no real answer because people have different requirements. I'll see if I can find the presentation that Gigaclear gave where they said their average utilisation per area they deploy into is something like 20Mb/s total - people clearly value the instant nature of fast connections, but they don't seem to utilise them.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvjIhu7JiXk 16:30 in, 400 customers averaging 20Mbps total. Granted this was 2013 but I'd be surprised if that figure has even doubled.

Last edited:
Soldato
In 2012 I had 1/0.1mbit at home, which was shared and it was pretty bad. BF3 updates of a couple GB took a day and I could only play at night. Was at uni for a year with 100/100mbit and it was brilliant. Home was hard to go back to. It soon got upgraded to 5/0.3 shared which was fine except for gaming whilst people watched stuff. Now I have my own personal 6/1mbit connection which is fine for gaming, watching and downloading. I am about 3 miles from the cabinet which is fibre enabled but I am too far away to get any benefit.

So I have had the wonderful 100mbit and gone back. I am fine. The world hasn't fallen apart. I have barely been affected despite being a techhead.

Recently I was choosing accommodation for Uni 2 and each choice had different levels of internet speed. However I decided that anything above 8mbit download would be more than enough for me. Ideally I would have a fast upload for making youtube videos or streaming but I don't really mind. Personally I am more excited about having 3G signal, I have a 20GB 4G plan but barely use a few MB on GPRS signal. Did see a 3G blip once which was quite exciting - might try and find the source.

Soldato
When a property has poor internet access it tends to always be behind the curve, so by the time it gets say FTTC, others will be on FTTP.

If you're someone who finds internet access important then you need close to national average speeds, so at least 20mbps.

A few years ago I was looking at houses and checked out internet speed before considering a house, there was one I would not buy due to low internet speed.

Unless the property is really special, or its a very good price, then I would look for something else.

Man of Honour
Is downtime normal in your opinion? I never get ''random'' downtime on cable, except sometimes 10-30 mins in the middle of the night on announced maintenance once per 2-3 months...

No, but if my livelihood depended on it then I would prepare for it.

I don't have a business myself but work for a boss, but yeah, business connection over cable is available @ 500/50mbit here, exact same infrastructure as my home connection though.

Not uncommon to see the same infrastructure used, the difference is with a business package (in the UK at least) I'd be expecting some sort of SLA and better support than you get on mainstream consumer packages here. It's really, really difficult to explain just how bad mainstream ISP support is in the UK, it's only really with niche providers that I've felt I could quickly speak to someone who could understand the problems.

Aye, no UPS at home, though multiple mobile devices with batteries (lappy's, tablets, phones) that would go a long way in case of power outage.

Problem with no electric is it can impact your whole life - potentially heating, cooking, lighting, powering domestic appliances etc. For me it is way, way more important than fixed line internet. Sure, I can use candles for lighting, wrap up warm, buy food every day rather than refrigerating, visit a laundrette etc for a short while but it isn't sustainable.

That is appalling tbh, how can they get away with 30 disconnects per day?
Thankfully it is rarely that bad, but the local situation is a nightmare. For part of the town, the only service you can get is ADSL (no cable or fibre) so you cannot change the infrastructure being used no matter what ISP you go with. After months of woe, a meeting for residents was finally scheduled with some middle-management people from BT (who provide the infrastructure) and replacement equipment installed at the exchange, but further issues were found and they are testing changes out with small numbers of users.

On consumer connections they don't really have any SLA to speak of, just some vague "we will endeavour to provide a service and resolve problems bla bla bla", and their tech support is abysmal, even getting them to acknowledge a problem can be difficult enough. They never know about the ongoing issues so send out engineers to visit properties, but the engineers all know it is a waste of time because they've seen it dozens of times before. It's so frustrating phoning up because you know you will have to spend 30mins running pointless tests, being asked irrelevant questions, explaining the issue for the 834th time. It's like a really unfunny version of Groundhog Day.

This is just part of the problems, some people can't even get a phone/broadband connection installed for weeks/months because of capacity issues, e.g. a cab is fibre enabled but full so no more fibre connections can be made until someone cancels their service.

The whole thing is an absolute shambles, you would think we live in a tiny village in the middle of nowhere but it is all modern suburban housing of affluent people who want better internet, BT can get away with whatever they want here because for half the town they have a monopoly.

A while ago I complained about a few lost packets once every couple of days (24/7 ping test)

When I tell tech support I have packet loss, they don't even know what it is half the time "your download speeds are slow?!?" "can you try turning it off and on again". It's literally like banging your head against a brick wall except at least after 100 times a brick wall usually falls over and your problem goes away.

But, I digress a bit from the topic with this rant :)

Associate
having buyers remorse about our new office,

we're on one of the biggest industrial estates in Glasgow and get 6meg :(

Surely you can get a decent provider to install a solution there if you're on a big industrial estate where there could be a decent uptake

Back
Top Bottom