Paying Contactless - Cashier swiping it themselves

Caporegime
You lot are paranoid. It's fine, contactless has strong fraud guarantees in place. It makes paying in bars SO much quicker.

Ywah but how many people would notice say a £4.65 transaction in the middle of all thier contactless payments?

Man of Honour
Whenever I've given my card to the cashier/barman etc, they've always asked for my permission to process the contactless payment.

I can't think of the last time they've had to take the card out of sight though. I'm guessing it has been years since that's happened with the advent of wireless EPoS terminals.

Like you I've always been asked if I mind them using the contactless function and since it speeds everything up and it's still within my sight then I don't have an issue with it. If the card was being taken away then I might have more of an issue but generally it's fine.

Soldato
When I paying at my local, I'll give them my card, they go get the pin machine, then they walk back over to me and say "Can I use Contactless?", I say "Yes", then they hand me back and card and ask if I want a receipt.

I was thinking the other day, it must get on their nerves having to ask every time if they can use the contactless.

Soldato
Local pub my dad goes to everyones cards go into a basket behind the counter! It has been this way for years and allows the patrons to keep an open tab (not for swinging purposes).

My dad refused and is the only person allowed not to do this (because he has been going there for many, many years).

I know the usual clientèle are of the older generation and just go with it, but i would not and i doubt many others would allow their card to be kept out of sight for a few hours.

Soldato
I can say with a good level of certainty that that's never been the case.

And specifically prohibited by who?

My impression back in the day was that it was a part of licensing conditions.

You could accept CC for alcohol along with a sit down meal, but not on its own.

And very sensible it was too!

(Licensees were not supposed to run "Tabs" either, though it never stopped them! :p (They were not supposed to sell after hours either too. But, back in the day, I rarely left my local before 02:00 on a Saturday night and sometimes walked home in daylight! Ho Hummn! :cool: :p )

they should 100% not be doing this. bad training with contactless i've seen many places think it's acceptable to take your card and make payment for you, however then ask someone else to enter their card into the machine and then ask the customer to take it out as they know with chip and pin they shouldn't be touching your card.

Caporegime
Local pub my dad goes to everyones cards go into a basket behind the counter! It has been this way for years and allows the patrons to keep an open tab (not for swinging purposes).

My dad refused and is the only person allowed not to do this (because he has been going there for many, many years).

I know the usual clientèle are of the older generation and just go with it, but i would not and i doubt many others would allow their card to be kept out of sight for a few hours.

I wonder how many bartenders over the years have cheekily qeitten down the numbers/grabbed pictures

Caporegime
Using a card in a bar is frowned upon?

Surely just paying contactless is so much better than trying to deal with cash.

A lot of clubs will charge for useing a card.

They prefer cash and its a way to squeeze drunks who have run out of cash and there isnt a cash machine available

Man of Honour
why anyone would use a card in a bar escapes me.

Arguably bars are the sort of place where there is a strong use case for contactless / card payments:
-Transactions typically under the £30 limit
-People often make multiple separate transactions at the same venue, meaning several visits to the bar can potentially generate a lot of change in one's pocket
-Some people don't like taking a big wedge of cash on a night out in case they lose it
-Bars are the sort of place one can end up in unplanned, meaning you might not have enough cash on you for the full evening but not want to have to duck out to a cash point
-Might want to settle a big tab
-Could be a company CC or whatever

One thing I don't know about is speed, would be interested to hear from bar staff whether doing a contactless payment is typically quicker or slower than a cash transaction. I guess in busy bars it depends in part whether there are as many readers as cash tills.

Caporegime
Arguably bars are the sort of place where there is a strong use case for contactless / card payments:
-Transactions typically under the £30 limit
-People often make multiple separate transactions at the same venue, meaning several visits to the bar can potentially generate a lot of change in one's pocket
-Some people don't like taking a big wedge of cash on a night out in case they lose it
-Bars are the sort of place one can end up in unplanned, meaning you might not have enough cash on you for the full evening but not want to have to duck out to a cash point
-Might want to settle a big tab
-Could be a company CC or whatever

One thing I don't know about is speed, would be interested to hear from bar staff whether doing a contactless payment is typically quicker or slower than a cash transaction. I guess in busy bars it depends in part whether there are as many readers as cash tills.

In the likes of weatherspoons wheres theres a card reader for every till and its mpunted on a stand on the customer side of the bar its way wuicker.

They'll often stick the order in the till, start the taps pouring and you pay while its pouring so you then just lick the drinks up an walk off as soon as theyre done

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato

Most busy bars are limited by the amount of readers; it's definitely much quicker otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom