******Official Star Citizen / Squadron 42 Thread******

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I wonder how long it will take me to be able to buy a Freelancer in game. I am hoping it will be possible with credits earned in SQ42 and the 32K UEC I have currently.

Will we be buying ships using UEC?

Associate
Remember you need pedals with the warthog, no twist axis for roll.

You don't strictly need them (although I am considering getting some). On my Warthog I'm using the Solarfly profile (link) which maps roll to one of the hats on the throttle. When using pedals this can be disabled to free those hat controls for something else.

Soldato
OP
Do you loose everything if you melt a package, I have a 75 dollar 315p with life time insurance and an anniversary aurora Mr package with six months lti, both include sq42 but I quite fancy an avenger (don't think it was around when I got the 315 in July 2013).

Melt a package and it's contents are gone, likewise sometimes you can't unmelt it (if it's an Omega, contains physical goods etc) or it'll only unmelt to the original ship e.g. Ship that was upgraded to a Retaliator from an Aurora may only unmelt as the Aurora (and only cost the Aurora value to unmelt).

Easiest route to an Avenger would simply be to upgrade to it from the Aurora MR like this:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Upgrades/Aurora-MR-To-Avenger-Titan-Upgrade

You'd keep your existing package goodies, insurance etc.

If you wanted to convert the 315P to the Avenger then it's not possible presently and as it's got LTI it'd be daft to melt it as you'll just end up unmelting it later when you regret it :) Alternatively you could wait until the Avenger Warlocks are available again and get an upgrade from the 315P to the Warlock (although fyi I think the Warlock is a waste of money at the moment). The reason you can't go from a 315P to an existing Avenger is that it's worth more than the two Avenger variants available and downgrading ships isn't possible at the moment.

PS

Melt = refund what you bought for store credit.
unmelt = use store credit, additional money to "recreate" what you originally had, an undo button of sorts.

Soldato
OP
[Damien];29975034 said:
You don't strictly need them (although I am considering getting some). On my Warthog I'm using the Solarfly profile (link) which maps roll to one of the hats on the throttle. When using pedals this can be disabled to free those hat controls for something else.

That's handy to know tbh, hadn't realised someone had done that :D

Associate
Look into the upgrade system - https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/ship-upgrades

That lets you change just the ship part into something else of equal or higher value (a downgrade version is planned, but hardly a priority), so you could convert the Aurora MR (6mo insurance, LTI = unlimited insurance) to the Avenger Stalker for $25 +tax. However the 315 is $5 more expensive so you cant change to that sadly. Theres also a $50 Avenger which is for cargo if you wanted to save $10 and get pretty much the same ship minus the bounty hunter pods i think.

Melting means you're returning it to the store and getting credit back, which you can spend on anything else currently being sold. The exact packages you have arent sold any more, and that Aurora iirc was the damn cheap one? like $20/$30 for the ship+SC+SQ42.
The Aurora package, if its the one im thinking of you'd be pretty mental to melt it. The 315, you wouldnt lose much, but you'd give up the LTI it holds and most people (myself included) value it even though its almost certainly going to be inconsequential.

@humbug, that video is pretty amazing. Remarkable how something like that can be replicated.

Caporegime
You guys have the soundtrack too... nice.

Do you loose everything if you melt a package, I have a 75 dollar 315p with life time insurance and an anniversary aurora Mr package with six months lti, both include sq42 but I quite fancy an avenger (don't think it was around when I got the 315 in July 2013).

Yes, you lose everything in the pledge if you melt it.

Edit, tho if buy it back (unmelt) you get it all back. you only get 1 option every 3 moths to do that.

Last edited:
Associate
This is my one:
:D

In other news I heard Squadron 42 slipped to a 2017 release date. Not surprised. I would rather they delay the game but get it right on release!

All anyone could have heard is gossip, because they're not saying anything and havent even brought the date up since last October. They said 2016, and then nothing since basically.

That said, 2017 has been what the community has been expecting, the moment it came out of CRs mouth it seemed too soon. We'll only know more from CitizenCon in 5wks time, they'll be showing something off then, and almost certainly a comment on whether its on target or not. If they can release it by Easter, i think that'd be impressive.

Soldato
OP
Damien I did have Saitek Cessna pros, they were good but no need for them anymore, or rather can't use pedals as they wake my daughter up who's in the bedroom below my man-cave lol

CH ones felt too close together, nut-crackers basically although might have been better if I'd given them more time.

You guys have the soundtrack too... nice.

Yes, you lose everything in the pledge if you melt it.

Edit, tho if buy it back (unmelt) you get it all back. you only get 1 option every 3 moths to do that.

jqXMOxs.png

Associate
I wonder how long it will take me to be able to buy a Freelancer in game. I am hoping it will be possible with credits earned in SQ42 and the 32K UEC I have currently.

Will we be buying ships using UEC?

You're a long way from buying any ship in the universe with 32k UEC tbh, but even with military service payment in SQ42 it'd be 110k for a Freelancer, but in the PU itself, the point where buying something makes it yours (rather than it being wiped every other month etc) there'll be an aggressive curve on the price of ships.

- Right now an Aurora MR would be 30k ($30), and lets leave it at 30k in the PU.
- A Hornet would be 110k ($110), and could be 200k in the PU.
- While an Idris would work out at 1m UEC ($1k), but expect it to be >10m UEC.

The more expensive the ship, the greater the price will inflate by within the PU.
Whats currently happening is the expensive ships are being priced !cheaper! than they should be, because they want players to own a variety of ships to create diversity, but when we're buying them in the game with credits, they need to be realistically balanced, and to manufacture 3 Auroras would be far cheaper than a single Hornet.

A Freelancer would be comfortably 5x an Aurora IMO.

Also, just using the current in-game prices, isnt armour about 15,000 aUEC? 2 sets of armour the same price as a ship with engines, electrical systems, weapons.... The buggy certainly is 15,000 UEC.

Our current UEC will buy us some basics, but if you just compare the difference between a buggy and an Aurora, its surely worth around 3-4 buggies, let alone comparing it with a $110 ship.

It'll certainly help towards buying one, and it really wouldnt surprise me if we can get a loan to cover the difference, but military pay would need to be pretty impressive to buy a Freelancer IMO.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
300i, bounty hunting? where do you put your bounty? lol..... :D

I know right. That is the ship that happened to come with that package. lol. Strange name for the package.

You're a long way from buying any ship in the universe with 32k UEC tbh, but even with military service payment in SQ42 it'd be 110k for a Freelancer, but in the PU itself, the point where buying something makes it yours (rather than it being wiped every other month etc) there'll be an aggressive curve on the price of ships.

- Right now an Aurora MR would be 30k ($30), and lets leave it at 30k in the PU.
- A Hornet would be 110k ($110), and could be 200k in the PU.
- While an Idris would work out at 1m UEC ($1k), but expect it to be >10m UEC.

The more expensive the ship, the greater the price will inflate by within the PU.
Whats currently happening is the expensive ships are being priced !cheaper! than they should be, because they want players to own a variety of ships to create diversity, but when we're buying them in the game with credits, they need to be realistically balanced, and to manufacture 3 Auroras would be far cheaper than a single Hornet.

A Freelancer would be comfortably 5x an Aurora IMO.

Also, just using the current in-game prices, isnt armour about 15,000 aUEC? 2 sets of armour the same price as a ship with engines, electrical systems, weapons.... The buggy certainly is 15,000 UEC.

Our current UEC will buy us some basics, but if you just compare the difference between a buggy and an Aurora, its surely worth around 3-4 buggies, let alone comparing it with a $110 ship.

It'll certainly help towards buying one, and it really wouldnt surprise me if we can get a loan to cover the difference, but military pay would need to be pretty impressive to buy a Freelancer IMO.

I am not to bothered if it takes says 20 hours in PU after SQ42 and the UEC I have to buy a Freelancer. Just hope they do not go crazy and expect you to play 100 hour or something, otherwise big ships will mean 10,000+ hours or something impossible like that. But I do not know enough info to say. Just hope they balance it right, not making it too easy, but also not too hard.

Loan system sounds interesting. Definitely something they should do.

Soldato
Yeah they really need to balance it well and that is something that's going to be incredibly hard. As they also have to balance not making ships that have cost people £300 acquirable in a few weeks of game play. I mean if a connie for example cost 300k uec it would be far to easy to acquire IF the payments stay relatively similar to what they are in mini pu can make 10k there in 30 mins easy. I do however have faith that they will balance it out well and really looking forward to playing full pu release now.

Soldato
Well, I recon there has to be a scale to it with regards to the ship you've got.
Like the money making capabilities with an aurora in 100hrs compared to a starfarer in 100hrs.

Like, you should have to either grind a good long time, or buy ships to work up to the massive ones

Associate
That is what a lot of us want.

I don't want everyone running around in javelin class destroyers. It should be an asset owned by a corp of 50 people who have all worked for it.

Definitely. For those who played Eve, ships of that size should be the equivalent of ASCN's (and Eve's) first titan. That took months of alliance-wide man hours to get the materials to build it. Similarly for the first outpost.

Associate
I think part of the perception is that people assume THEY should be able to buy anything. Can we all buy a 100 foot luxury yacht, a JCB vehicle, a military battleship etc.

Buying the large ships are likely to be useless to just you and you alone, they're multiplayer ships and should be treated in such a way, and it goes beyond simply how many people are needed to crew it. For the most part they'll need to be bought by a collective, because if we were to say 100 hours is a lot of time to earn an Idris, 10 people could easily earn that in a weekend.

If people are going to view it as 'how long will i have to play in order to have the biggest most expensive ship' then i'd certainly hope its an insane amount of time, because quite frankly its a stupid way to look at things.

Doing 1 million 1hr hauling runs in an Aurora could pay for it.

Doing 10x 1h hauling runs in an Aurora to buy a Freelancer, to do 10x 1hr hauling runs to buy a Hull C, do another 10x 1h runs and so on will likely get you there considerably faster, too.

If you do 10x 1h runs to buy 2 more Auroras, let people rent them, use their payments to buy 2 more auroras, use those to buy 4/8/16 more etc and you're building a business which is making you money based on just 10hrs work.

Or simply work with others, have it org owned. Maybe you can only do a few hours a week, but i bet plenty of others play it multiple hours every evening, and they also want that awesome ship, and eventually because you worked together to pool your funds towards a shared goal, you've got what you all wanted for less work than it'd take if you went solo.

Theres certainly no 1 way of saying ship X will take Y hours to earn. Working from a ships price and how long it'd take to earn with a starter ship makes no sense, and also assumes that you cant earn it by doing a variety of things and have fun in the process, or take measures to speed up the process like teamwork or buying a ship that can earn you money at a higher rate.

Back
Top Bottom