Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
Hey buddy.

I have just signed a contract with Virgin but it has not yet been installed and I'm still within the grace period to cancel. Would I still be eligible for this?

I tried to send you a trust but it says you're not set up?

Soldato
Only really interested in the gamer package if it helps ping, as I have some ping issues at times when playing CSGO

Currently paying £35.75 for Vivid 200mb (No landline)

Man of Honour
Only really interested in the gamer package if it helps ping, as I have some ping issues at times when playing CSGO

It won't help ping at all. Your ping issues are most likely caused by congestion which unfortunately isn't fixed by being on the new package.

Soldato
That truely is a great deal. :eek:

How much did it take you to get/push for it?

at first it was easy to get but when we received the updated package email it didn't say 200 gamer but we agreed on the gamer to be included when he said about the deal. so thats when the fun and games started, it took 2 days of phoning/pushing to get it sorted "we hope" waiting till the 12th to see the price of the bill.. we've told them we are only going to pay £45.99, as we agreed

Soldato

It won't help ping at all. Your ping issues are most likely caused by congestion which unfortunately isn't fixed by being on the new package.

+1

gamer package doesn't improve ping/Latency

Soldato
I can see on the website when I type in my postcode that I can get vivid 300, but no option online to do it through the website.

Does upload get an improvement from the 200/12 ?

Soldato
I can see on the website when I type in my postcode that I can get vivid 300, but no option online to do it through the website.

Does upload get an improvement from the 200/12 ?

300 as 20 upload, costs £13.99 extra... it's called homework+ it's an add-on to the 200 package

http://store.virginmedia.com/discover/broadband/homeworks.html

if your only interested in faster upload speed then go for the gamer package for £5 extra of the 200 package

Last edited:
Associate
I dont spend a lot of time looking at my Virgin Media Package, I probably should.

Only recently seeing Vivid Gaming package mentioned in here sparked my interest.

Now I have always went for the top packages, and I was sure a good number of months back there was mention on Virgin's website and the TV adverts or something about free upgrades. I am guessing that is the new Vivid? I had thought we were getting a free upgrade.

So I checked up.

My package is listed as,

VIVID 152 Optical Fibre, Up to 152 Mbps, Unlimited
TV, TV XL
Phone, XXL

And we are still on a Superhub 1, as they refused to upgrade us when the SH2 came out, even after months of me complaining.
Well actually, we did get sent an engineer who decided an in line powered amplifier on our cable from the wall would boost our WiFi? Though it made no difference.

So I requested the Vivid 200 upgrade, and I am being posted the SH3 for self install.

Some querries, can I remove the silly inline amplifier on the cable?
Are there going to be any issues with my Asus RT-AC87U router?
Do I still have to phone up and actually ask for the "Gamer" upgrade?

The sight seems pretty vague on whats available. I actually thought we were going to be on 300mb for free at some point. And our package again feels vague and outdated, XXL phone? We barely use the house phone!

Last edited:
Soldato
So I requested the Vivid 200 upgrade, and I am being posted the SH3 for self install.

Some querries, can I remove the silly inline amplifier on the cable?
Are there going to be any issues with my Asus RT-AC87U router?
Do I still have to phone up and actually ask for the "Gamer" upgrade?

The sight seems pretty vague on whats available. I actually thought we were going to be on 300mb for free at some point. And our package again feels vague and outdated, XXL phone? We barely use the house phone!

1. most likely no
2. no, just put the hub3 in modem mode
3. yes as you've only asked them to put you on the normal 200 package

Soldato
Hi all,

Hopefully a quick question. I've just downgraded my virgin package as I've switched to sky q but kept virgin broadband and phone line. As I've got the tv package for free I decided to keep hold of the tivo box but the ideal would be to move it into another room.

Previously the tivo and superhub were connected by a passive splitter downstairs. As we have had multi room in the past there was an old coax port on the wall in the room I wanted to site the tv box. as such I've tested it and found it's still active (unwired one cable from the splitter - left the splitter in place currently). It all seems to work. Signal strength on tuner 0 is 60% 1 and 2 are just over 50%. Broadband speedtest with the tivo box moved showed a steady 200mbps so that's fine.

My issue is that this cable is a bit too short. I don't want to get a crappy cable that's going to mess with the network for me and my neighbours causing signal noise etc.

Would a shielded 5m rj59 cable be ok? I've seen this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cable-Moun...=1473251807&sr=8-11&keywords=5m+coaxial+cable

Also have I inadvertently fouled anything up by moving the box to another wall connection? I didn't fancy a £100 call out fee when I was originally planning on getting rid of the package anyway.

Associate
Well virgin haven't bothered to post my superhub and without my call to prompt it nothing would have happened but its all OK.... its a "known issue with our ordering system". Thank god! Never mind my missing broadband, I was losing sleep worrying that the issue wasn't known....

Soldato
Surprised that Virgin have allowed another ISP to move the phone line over to them. Not been in contact with me just had a new your bill through with the just vivid 200 gamer on they now want £63.99 a month :eek: will be cancelling as soon as I'm up and running with another ISP.

Also got a message from the mod team saying they haven't fixed the network fault today and now pushed back to 21st.

Soldato
can i ask also wheat is the latest firmware for this model.

When it first connected it said it was updating. I know there has been issues with firmware on these.

Also, Should i leave the firewall on or off???

i think the public firmware is 9.1.88T

leave the firewall on but BQM won't work, i think from what i can remember on that firmware.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom