*** Sky Q Thread ***

Associate
Seems to run at about 85mbps for me, via Ethernet on a 200mbps connection. Bear in mind that, for reasons that escape me, Sky saw fit to equip the Q kit with fast ethernet rather than gigabit so there's a hardware limit of 100mbps regardless.

If I start a UHD film downloading, it lets me start watching in 5-10 seconds, which I presume is just long enough for it to work out that it's downloading faster than realtime so there's no problem.

I worked it out on a few films at launch (The Martian, Spectre & MI:5 I think) and it seems to be around the 16-17mbps range.

Previous discussions in this part of the forum , worked it out that about 25Mb/s was needed for full uhd.

Soldato
Previous discussions in this part of the forum , worked it out that about 25Mb/s was needed for full uhd.

That's an arbitrary figure and I believe what Netflix quote as needed for their service.

The above figures are from a direct calculation on the size and duration of the films.

Soldato
Hi all,

Is there any way to see what your silver box is downloading at? I've had it installed this morning wirelessly to a superhub 3 with 200mb downloads. I'm running my laptop in the same room which is getting speedtest and download results of approx 200 meg but UHD downloads seem frighteningly slow? Even HD still takes a while.

Caporegime
I'm assuming that not all the cameras are 4K with the footy? I was watching the pre match show thinking 'er, this is ****' but now the actual game is on it's noticeably better image quality.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

I'm assuming that not all the cameras are 4K with the footy? I was watching the pre match show thinking 'er, this is ****' but now the actual game is on it's noticeably better image quality.

Only the field cams are 4k, studio cams are HD.

Soldato
Had Q installed this morning, all very quick and painless.

New interface will take a little bit of time to get used to but loving it so far, touch remote I'm not sure on at the min but will give it a proper chance.

Excuse to buy a 4k tv now :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Had Sky Q installed on Friday thanks to a F&F discount code from Misschief and so far I'm really liking it.

The new box is vastly superior in terms of speed and I'm quite liking some of the new features (such as the ability to quickly see what is currently on on the previous channel - great for skipping adds I find!).

A minor annoyance however is the lack of a dedicated tv guide button and the fact that Sky default you to their 'Top Picks' page when you hit menu/home which I find a bit cheeky considering its a paid for service and they are effectively using 'Top Picks' to tout their wares ;)

The installer I had was great, fitted a Hybrid LNB, made some minor cabling alterations and set up everything over Ethernet without a grumble.

All in all, I'm very pleased, a nice reduction in rental vs what I was paying for SkyHD and for a superior service.

p.s. don't forget to update the default display config on the mini's from 1080i to 1080p as the picture quality is notably better!

Soldato
Whoops I've broken it already :o

Was working fine and then I changed the Silver box to wired and now the mini seems to be getting artifacts / screen tearing.

Will change it back but for my understanding.

The Sky Silver box will use 2.4Ghz / ethernet to access online content / services.

It creates it's own 5Ghz network for the Mini to connect too and this is how media is streamed.

Now should the Mini show the SKYxxxx (Silver hotspot) network under connections or my personal network?

The mini also creates its own hotspot as part of the Sky mesh, correct?

My network is now pretty congested on the 5ghz and if possible I would like to disable the Mini hotspot. I don't have Sky broadband so I don't see what benefit the hotspot feature on the mini offers me and I assume you have to keep the hotspot on the Silver otherwise the mini won't connect.

Last edited:
Associate
When Sky Q was launched, the spec sheet indicated that the WiFi Hotspots only worked with the PowerLine function, in conjunction with the Q Hub. I think it's obvious that it's working other ways too.

Technically there should be any issues with you connecting to it, provided that you can get the password.

Soldato
Whoops I've broken it already :o

Was working fine and then I changed the Silver box to wired and now the mini seems to be getting artifacts / screen tearing.

Will change it back but for my understanding.

The Sky Silver box will use 2.4Ghz / ethernet to access online content / services.

It creates it's own 5Ghz network for the Mini to connect too and this is how media is streamed.

Now should the Mini show the SKYxxxx (Silver hotspot) network under connections or my personal network?

The mini also creates its own hotspot as part of the Sky mesh, correct?

My network is now pretty congested on the 5ghz and if possible I would like to disable the Mini hotspot. I don't have Sky broadband so I don't see what benefit the hotspot feature on the mini offers me and I assume you have to keep the hotspot on the Silver otherwise the mini won't connect.

I thought the current sky HD box used 5ghz already, why would it be removed.

Soldato
I thought the current sky HD box used 5ghz already, why would it be removed.

I guess to keep the 5ghz free for media streaming to the mini box.

You probably can get it to connect to a 5ghz network but the installer only wanted to connect it to the standard 2.4ghz. I'm wired to the Silver now and all working ok.

He also said something about Sky Q becoming standard soon and I see you can now get new customer deals where the Q 1TB box only costs £10.

Associate
He also said something about Sky Q becoming standard soon and I see you can now get new customer deals where the Q 1TB box only costs £10.

All new Sky TV customers are now pointed in the direction of Sky Q at first.

Sky+ HD will only be offered when a communal dish hasn't been upgraded to support Sky Q.

Sky have also now stopped supplying the Sky+ HD 2TB DRX895. You can only get the DRX890.

Don't panic if you have a 2TB box. Should it play up Sky will still replace it with a 2TB box.

Soldato
Ah ok, guess it makes sense to get everyone on the same hardware and lease rather than ownership model.

If I moved my mini box to another house with a Q subscription it should connect ok won't it? Nothing locking it to the current Q box?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom