BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
That's not true, VDSL2/FTTC can be re-profiled to use 30MHz band, and BT already have the 30a standard for this. The maximum speed it would do at a short distance is 200 mb. When the engineer installed the FTTC at my premises he showed me his line checker and told me that as we were so close it showed the line was capable of up to 160+ mb.

Caporegime
Other than FTTP/H I doubt we will. It will rely on Openreach making such a service available in order for the main ISP's to offer it and it will be available to so few people that I can't see any business case for Openreach to do so at the current time. When G.Fast and Long Reach FTTC become the norm then I could see perhaps a 120Mbit package coming out but nothing until then and most ISP's won't likely take it up either.

Permabanned
I transferred to BT from Plusnet on the 30th Aug yet all my speedtests show I am on the PN ISP and I still get the 75/20 speeds instead of the 50/10 I am on now with BT.

I did try changing to BT's Username and Password posted previously on my AC87U router but it didn't work.

Anyone know what is going on? My billing date from Plusnet is on the 20th of each month so I should get my next bill soon (Aug 20th to 30th). But for now it seems I am still getting internet from PN (router still has Plusnets Username and Password as I couldn't even connect to BT. Admittedly I have not even tried the Homehub yet).

Soldato
Would be interested in what BT are doing to go beyond 80mbit. Half tempted to go back to VM (but still scarred from their horrific traffic shaping)

That said BT has been the most consistent, stable internet connection I have had for a long time since we had UKOnline.

Soldato
I noticed this, it was£10 pm with no offers on i.e. Reward Card.

I signed up 2-3 weeks ago, just before the £125 Reward card deal ended it is £13.50 pm. Now the reward card is £100 it's £12.50 pm.

So it's kind of subsidizing the reward costs.

Just signed up now to Infinity 1 using TCB. £105 cashback, £100 reward card and £10.99 a month!

Weird, because if you use BT's 'can I get fibre' the cost is £12.50!

Soldato
Just signed up now to Infinity 1 using TCB. £105 cashback, £100 reward card and £10.99 a month!

Weird, because if you use BT's 'can I get fibre' the cost is £12.50!

I found the same at the weekend, go through one way and its £12.50 and another way it was £10.50.

Soldato
Engineer was a no-show for my install today. No contact from BT whatsoever. No explanation.

On joy.

EDIT: Got to the bottom of this one. I already have a phone socket, so the engineer just went to the exchange, did whatever he needed to do, logged the job as completed, and didn't turn up at the house to check that everything was working. Should be getting some bill credit as an apology for wasting my time - took the morning off for nothing.

Last edited:
Soldato
Engineer was a no-show for my install today. No contact from BT whatsoever. No explanation.

On joy.

EDIT: Got to the bottom of this one. I already have a phone socket, so the engineer just went to the exchange, did whatever he needed to do, logged the job as completed, and didn't turn up at the house to check that everything was working. Should be getting some bill credit as an apology for wasting my time - took the morning off for nothing.

When I signed up it said an engineer wouldn't call.I do already have fibre though.

I have just done similar through Quidco. How do you get the £100 card. do they just send it to you?

No, you have to claim it back once everything is up and running through this link.
https://www.vouchers.bt.com/claim-my-reward/

Associate
Some advice required as to where to proceed after this:

Had a BT engineer out earlier today by appointment, ideally to move master socket to somewhere more appropriate. In the end, the engineer (Kelly Communications :mad:) just fitted an extension to the original box, with a new master socket. Everything was fine when he left, normal speed of 36 meg, then an hour after he left, it dropped out completely. Using a Netgear D7000. Connected Home Hub 5, which then synced at approx. 4 meg, and then contacted BT. After speaking to 7 different people and continually getting cut off, the last person is saying it is a fault in the local network, and will take 24-48 hours to resolve.

Is this just a fob-off? The internet was fine prior to the engineer arriving, so surely the fault is with something he's done? Also, paying the usual £129.99 for the work, which as you can imaging, just adds insult to the injury.

Thoughts welcome :)

Associate
Sounds like classic case of he has left, he or someone has finished up something at the exchange end knocking it out :(

Have you checked for service outages in the area? https://www.bt.com/consumerFaultTracking/public/faults/tracking.do?pageId=31

Might also find something useful on the business checker https://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/service_status/

No issues in this area. Wasn't to happy with the engineer, as he didn't seem willing to move master socket, although to be honest, looking at his van, he didn't appear to have a ladder with him (we're in a first floor flat.)

Man of Honour
I assume (doesn't sound like it) you aren't mixing up units there - as a ~36MBit sync will give you a download speed around 4 MByte/s.

Back
Top Bottom