BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
When I signed up it said an engineer wouldn't call.I do already have fibre though.

I just did as I was told. Booked an install slot, made sure I was in. I'm not sure if the engineer was meant to come in to check everything worked, or if the instructions on the website/via email were wrong and I didn't need to wait in.

It all works now though. Download speeds aren't amazing at ~26Mbps, but decent for the money. Just need to get YouView working, but that's another problem entirely.

Soldato
You paid £130 for an engineer to come out and he didn't do what you wanted him to do - move the master socket?? Surely you should be asking for your money back - what did he actually do for £130 then?

Permabanned
I transferred to BT from Plusnet on the 30th Aug yet all my speedtests show I am on the PN ISP and I still get the 75/20 speeds instead of the 50/10 I am on now with BT.

I did try changing to BT's Username and Password posted previously on my AC87U router but it didn't work.

Anyone know what is going on? My billing date from Plusnet is on the 20th of each month so I should get my next bill soon (Aug 20th to 30th). But for now it seems I am still getting internet from PN (router still has Plusnets Username and Password as I couldn't even connect to BT. Admittedly I have not even tried the Homehub yet).

So I decided to connect the BT Hub today and just had an orange light indicating no connection, so I gave BT a call.

Spoke to an agent (nice chap) and they said Openreach haven't activated my BB services :rolleyes:

They have agreed to compensate against any charges I may occur from Plusnet and will call me tomorrow to discuss what will happen. Any charges from my activation date until when I finally get BT services will be waived too.

Even though my PN is faster than my BT package I like to be above board and PN is **** anyway as I cannot even watch Twitch without it buffering every minute.

Soldato
No, not mixing it up. Speedtest this morning was downloading 32-33 Mbps, now:

This is on Infinity 1.

Might be wrong, but that looks like you've been re-graded somehow to an ADSL service? The upload being 0.33Mb is the cap you get on ADSL... Did some tard fiddle with your line at the exchange/profile?

Definitely be asking for it to be fixed along with a refund as that's taking the p!

Associate
Now have another engineer coming Monday to sort this mess out. This is the cabling here after the engineer came out. Originally, master point was in parents bedroom, with a MK3 dual socket face plate on it. We now have the extension running from underneath that socket in to the lounge, with another MK3 face plate on it. The router is attached to that. The old socket now has a single phone face plate on it, and that is where the phone is currently attached. The engineer said it was ok to plug the phone in either socket. The setup is how the engineer left it. Does it sound right?

Soldato
Sounds like he fitted a single unfiltered faceplate from your description, with the Mk3 faceplate being filtered internally.

Unplug everything apart from the router in the 'master' socket and try another speedtest. I'd probably reboot the router just to force a resync.

If you can log into the router and get line stats, it may be worth looking at your downstream SNR before you do anything and comparing it to when the router has restarted/resynced.

Associate
Sounds like he fitted a single unfiltered faceplate from your description, with the Mk3 faceplate being filtered internally.

Unplug everything apart from the router in the 'master' socket and try another speedtest. I'd probably reboot the router just to force a resync.

If you can log into the router and get line stats, it may be worth looking at your downstream SNR before you do anything and comparing it to when the router has restarted/resynced.

Thanks. Done all that, switched off the router for about 5 min before doing a speedtest and checking the hub settings. Same speed, router syncing at 4416 kbps.

Associate
Anyone know a good way to change your BT package (the TV side) from BT Essentials to BT Starter? I'm paying £6.00 per month and I never use the YouView box at all but changing to starter requires a £49 activation fee? Wth?

Associate
Noticed that infinity 1 is £9.50 + plus £18.99 line rental

Whats the crack with the BT Smart Hub? Does come with parental controls like supporting opendns and time scheduling for kicking the kids off when its time for sleep?

Soldato
My parents are the same, they got infinity 2 but they only get a few mbit/s at peak times. Off peak they get about 20mbit. I sometimes have to house sit for them when theyre away and its useless, buffering all over the place.

I hope they start replacing some of the copper going to houses with fibre soon. Im just glad i live right next to the cab.

Caporegime
That's weird that you see peak time congestion on BT Infinity - I wasn't aware that the network was anywhere near utilised enough for that to be a factor. I'm not in Yorkshire but I can't honestly say that I notice any difference in speed between say 03:00 and 19:00 - I can achieve throughput equivalent to my sync rate at any time of day.

Back
Top Bottom