PlayStation 4 Pro in-bound

Soldato
Look at the new Tombraider for PS4 pro, gives you these option in game
4k at 30 FPs (said to be native 4K)
1080P @60 with dips to 45 min
1080P locked to 30 with all the GPu bells and whistles you can through at it.

I like this idea and its something you can select on the fly by the sounds of it, hopefully other devs will take this idea on board.

Is 8GB combined RAM enough to handle 4K textures?

Associate
Sony has gone for the 'lets just add abit more power until the PS5' route whereas MS are going with what would be closer to an xbox 2. The xbox price will reflect this as well I'm willing to bet.

No complaining from me, I'm gonna sell my launch day ps4 and buy a pro and then probably get a scorpio too. Never had an xbox so will be starting the game catalogue fresh.

And the 4K bluray doesn't bother me much because I can't afford one of the proper OLED HDR etc etc top end 4K screens anyway and don't want to go without just for the sake of 4K now. The cheaper 4K TV's look good to the untrained eye but will be missing a few features once 4K really hits its stride in a few years.

Edit: sony could always fetch out a PS4 Pro X (or whatever) with a 4K drive at extra cost next year also. The Xbox One S has shown its easy enough to do.

Last edited:
Soldato
4k at 30fps but 1080p with dips to 45? - doesn't sound right. If the Pro has the grunt for 4k/30 it could smash 1080p all day long!

Caporegime
OP

I like this idea and its something you can select on the fly by the sounds of it, hopefully other devs will take this idea on board.

I don't get this, gamers crave stable framerates, they are offered a mode that goes between 45-60 and people celebrate.

What am I missing?

Soldato
Many planes and trains have WiFi though nowadays, what sort of journey are people taking where they don't have access to the internet and are going through more than 16GB of locally stored content?

16gb gives what, 10gb storage? before any apps, photos etc... you want to keep changing content on the phone every day or watch the same thing? train/plane wifi costs. behave

Soldato
I can see Sony announcing something else towards the end of next year to compete with the Scorpio.

This is VERY doubtful, they're clearly invested a lot to get the Pro out early and they are going to fragment the PS brand even more if they release another incremental console in a years time.

Microsoft have caught Sony out on the spec front and they had little option but to continue with the Pro.

Soldato

It's not native 4k hence the confusion. It will be upscaled.

Permabanned

If this is what is offered for games it's a win in my book, I'd choose 1080p @ 60fps over 4k or 1080p with bells and whistles @ 30 fps every day of the week.

I was thinking I'd buy a secondhand PS4 to play some exclusives but if this option is offered for most games I'll buy a pro instead.

Caporegime
This is VERY doubtful, they're clearly invested a lot to get the Pro out early and they are going to fragment the PS brand even more if they release another incremental console in a years time.

Microsoft have caught Sony out on the spec front and they had little option but to continue with the Pro.

They'll at most bung in the UHD drive this thing should have had from the start.

Soldato

Yeh, looks like Sony thought it would be best to get it out Autumn this year instead of next year and take a hit on power - either way it wouldn't have made a difference to me. I'd still be waiting for PS5 even if it was as powerful or more powerful than Scorpio

Soldato

They haven't really, Sony probably caught them out by the release date of this. MS knew that it was likely to be this year and thats why the announced the "development" of Scorpio, for the very reason that people will compare the Pro to a console that doesn't exist (it's very unusual for a company to announce something as early as that if t wasn't for a bit of damage control). Sure they've spouted some specs and I have no doubt it will be good, however it does not yet exist, it could quite easily slip to 2018 meaning they could be unto 2 years behind, it could cost a lot lot more and during that time PS4 users can be enjoying the extra power of the Pro if they choose to buy one and if it suits them.

Sony have released a good upgrade to the PS4 whereas MS messed up so much the Xbone that they are having to go all out, and of course they have the money to do that.

Associate

As others has posted, 4K @ 30 but with 1080 dipping to 45 doesn't add up.

What they should have stated:

Option 1. 1080p will now be stable @ 60 fps, with slightly higher settings due to the improved hardware.

Option 2. 1080p upscaled to 4K when/where applicable @ 30 fps

Caporegime
Every game will be different to begin with. Remember we now have this system for another few years. It could be that as the dust settles, devs will see on Twitter/forums, etc. that users want a nice 60fps and will evolve to having a 60fps mode and a 4K mode. They can always patch things to improve framerates as time goes on and the dev tools get more optimized.

Back
Top Bottom