Driving manual for 7 years and still can't figure out how to stick shift

Associate
I've never managed to learn how to drive a stick shift properly. When I mean properly I don't mean like a rally car driver. More so in the sense that you can feel the clutch loosening or failing to catch on after driving less than 15,000 miles. So as you can see I've major issues and I've asked some people how they shift and read a bunch on the net but I just can't get it right. I don't get no burning smell from the clutch. It's I believe more to do with my synchronization which causes the transmission to develop issues. Every car I've had ends up developing the same issue which is when I press the accelerator, there's this jerk that occurs.

I've sort of narrowed it down to what could be my possible issues. How important is it to keep your heel to the floor? I kind of lift my whole leg up when using the clutch? Is that wrong?

1) I can't adopt the heel to the floor approach. It feels so unnatural. Maybe it's the pedals?

2) I take several seconds to switch between gears if I try to drive smoothly. This results in everyone on my backside as if I'm stand still. I've had many tell me that I'm too slow in shifting. It's miles easier for me to shift if I drive like a lunatic because then I can sort of just slot it in. (which I've read is the reason it is easier to shift when driving fast)

3) I've heard it is vital to depress the clutch fully. It's something I struggle with because if I depress it fully I'll lose so much speed.

4) If I try to shift faster I get a jerk or what feels like the engine breaking.

5) I can't figure out how to use the clutch and gas at the same time to complement each other. If I need to use the gas to help with shifting or to stop me from stalling I've got to look at the RPM dial to tell how much I need.

6) I can't move off an incline without riding the clutch and then pressing the accelerator more so than I need which always gives that jerky take off and looks like I'm bouncing.

Any ideas guys? I've reached my limit and am really beginning to hate driving but I have a strong desire to learn manual.

Last edited:
Associate
Did your driving instructor teach you or advise you on any of this (before you passed your test) or is this something that you have developed after/out of habit?

Sounds like you would be best going to a driving instructor and having some tuition purely on clutch control and gear changes. IMO you really should persist with your heel to the floor until it becomes natural.

Associate
OP
That's what I thought. I kept telling my relatives that no one at 7 years of driving a manual continues to have issues like me. I'm going to get my father to give me a proper crash course on shifting, if that doesn't cut it, I don't know what will.

Associate
OP
Did your driving instructor teach you or advise you on any of this (before you passed your test) or is this something that you have developed after/out of habit?

Sounds like you would be best going to a driving instructor and having some tuition purely on clutch control and gear changes. IMO you really should persist with your heel to the floor until it becomes natural.

That's where I believe some of the problem stems from. My instructor never cared to teach me the right way to position my feet and so I just adapted. Yes I changed gears horrendously slowly but I guess it wasn't a problem because I still passed driving a manual. Unfortunately in the real world it doesn't work. As you say I believe the majority of my issues lie in the way I position my feet. But what if heel to the floor is uncomfortable to me? Am I doomed because I'm unable to use that?

Caporegime
There's a bloke on youtube that does good instructional videos, he covers how to use the throttle to smooth out gear changes. Give it a watch.

Soldato
Are you keeping your foot on the clutch while driving?

Its one of those things that should come with time, did you learn in an auto?

Changing gear at high revs is quite the tricky art, focus on being able to get smooth regular shifting down pat first then work on pushing it harder.

You dont need to depress the clutch all the way, just until its disengaged, itll depend on the vehicle at what point that is and you have to learn it for the car how far is enough.

As others have said, could just not be for you, some folk can get out and into different cars, transition auto to manual and vice versa and be driving like everyone else in the space of an hour, some folk just cant and need a lot of time with any new car before they get used to it.

Associate
The most important thing is matching the engine speed to the gear and road speed. When you engage the next gear, notice how the RPM are forced to change? This is the RPM you should ideally have already attained with the throttle while the clutch is in, then there will be no jerk and changes will be sublime.

Also try driving in just your socks, not shoes - very difficult at first, you may find you can't keep your heel on the floor without the stiffness of a shoe-sole to assist.

Underboss
you don't use your toes to use the clutch pedal (ie heel on floor) you move your whole leg as the clutch goes further down than the accelerator, and its the accelerator pedal that you keep your heel on the floor with

Soldato
As it pertains to that video, it requires an intimate knowledge of the rev counter and what gears produce how much revs vs the speed you are doing and need to have when changing .

I wasn't taught anything about the rev counter by my instructor, he taught me 1st gear upto 10mph and 2nd for 10-20mph and 3rd for 20-30 and 4th for 30-40mph and 5th for 40+. He taught me clutch control from stationary to moving but going up further gears it was press clutch and release the gas change into gear and press gas, just as the guy in the video says. But somehow I get smooth gear changes.. perhaps it's the speed I'm able to change gears or maybe I'm over revved when changing gears so my revs aren't dropping so low for when I change up?

I'm intrigued, I'm going to analyse when I drive next.

As for his method of using the gear stick. I used to grab it like I would a mouse but it was actually a thread on here ages ago that showed gear changes like the video, I think it was something to do with this is how rally drivers do it. I adopted that style and felt a bit like an arse at first but now... I have no idea if I still change gears like that. For me driving is as easy as walking or breathing, something you do and not pay attention to.

And hang on.. his reverse is on the very left so he has to press down on his stick which he can't do with his thumb up or down ;p

Caporegime
1) I can't adopt the heel to the floor approach. It feels so unnatural. Maybe it's the pedals?

Are you able to press the clutch in with your heel on the floor? If so, practice that. It's the easiest and most natural way to use the clutch as your foot is in a comfortable position. All you need to concentrate on is timing and pressure.

2) I take several seconds to switch between gears if I try to drive smoothly. This results in everyone on my backside as if I'm stand still. I've had many tell me that I'm too slow in shifting. It's miles easier for me to shift if I drive like a lunatic because then I can sort of just slot it in. (which I've read is the reason it is easier to shift when driving fast)

This one's a bit confusing for me. Personally I think you're overthinking it way too much. The only time anyone should be concentrating this much on changing gears is their first few miles in the car (unless modified / racecar / whatever ofc). After that it should just happen instinctively. Turn the car off, press the clutch in and just have at it with the gear lever. Practice all the way up, all the way down. Doing it with the car off removes any pressure from other drivers / traffic lights / whatever. Gearboxes are fairly resilient so as long as you're not aping off the lever on one side it'll be fine. If the lever doesn't slot in, then put the car in neutral, run the engine for a few seconds, turn it off again and carry on. I genuinely think you're trying too hard to get it right, so remove the pressure and practice.

3) I've heard it is vital to depress the clutch fully. It's something I struggle with because if I depress it fully I'll lose so much speed.

The ONLY time you should lose "too much speed" is if you're changing gears at way too low RPM or if you're driving up hill. A car with momentum on a correct surface will be more than happy to change gears. Alternatively, you're simply taking too long. You need to press the clutch down all the way. Not always, but concentrate on getting the basics right before you start cutting corners. You have to press the clutch quickly. Don't worry, it's not made of poercelain and odds are it'll out last any pressure you can put on it so don't be shy to give it a good stomp.

4) If I try to shift faster I get a jerk or what feels like the engine breaking.

See this is an instant flag. When you say "shift faster" do you mean actually go up through the gears, or each individual gear change? If you mean go up through the gears, as in go up to top gear as quick as possible, you will have this exact problem. It's due to the engine struggling to move the car due to being in too high a gear. Don't rush through the gears. That's bad for your car, bad for you and will only make matters worse. Take it slow. Spend as much time in a gear as you need and only change once the engine feels like it's got no load (usually at least above 2k RPM, try change gears at 3k to be on the safe side, and only go higher once you're more comfortable with the changes).

5) I can't figure out how to use the clutch and gas at the same time to complement each other. If I need to use the gas to help with shifting or to stop me from stalling I've got to look at the RPM dial to tell how much I need.

Go sit in your car. In a car park, with nothing around you and a bit of space up front in case you balls up. Put the hand brake on and start the engine. Put the car in first, and with the handbrake still on, gently release the clutch. This won't do any harm as long as you only do it briefly and only a few times each go. Just let the car idle, press the clutch all the way down, and put it in first. Gently release the clutch until you hear the engine take strain. That's your clutch's biting point and this is going to be the no.1 thing you need to learn. Nobody knows the direct relation between their engine and clutch, this is all done 100% by feel and sound. You can hear and feel when the engine is taking on load. This is what you need to get used to, eventually it will become to instinctive you won't even be looking at your tachometer any more.

6) I can't move off an incline without riding the clutch and then pressing the accelerator more so than I need which always gives that jerky take off and looks like I'm bouncing.[/QUOTE]

This is called hill starting. People have different tactics for doing this but the safest and most reliable way to do it is to put your handbrake on, then press the clutch, put the car in first, gently release the clutch until you can hear that the engine is taking load, then remove the handbrake and add throttle. It's a bit of a dark art at first but again once you get the hang of it you'll be fine.

Good luck :)

Back
Top Bottom