******Official Star Citizen / Squadron 42 Thread******

Associate
I had a good game last night. We (me in a Hornet and two mates in Hornet and something else I can't remember) decided to pew a Vanguard at the ICC and it turned into us vs everyone. I CTD'd half way through (and then couldn't rejoin) so my team mates bugged out. Last report was 8 hostiles on grid. Most of them probably guys we killed that re-shipped.

It was loads of fun :D

Edit: Also, in case anyone's ever tried, you can get inside the NPC Constellation in the ICC missions. You can't kill the pilots though so you can't steal it.

Twitch Link

Last edited:
Caporegime
I didn't catch and sweating on this from last night Harry!

:D

The bit that you missed, from my perspective, inside the airlock.
There is something rather tragic about the way he's crawling around, like a scarred dog cowering, it almost makes you feel like you're sending Paddington Bear into a mincer.

I wonder what was going through his mind?

I think we should try what i think Worzel suggested, get a Connie and wait in the beds for someone to board it, then jump him. :D

Soldato
:D^ We need to get into the beds haha! Especially if they are doing ICC runs. We can just twock the ship whist he is picking up the probe hahahaha leave him there.

My warthog hotas turned up today! super happy/not happy at the same time. I deffinately need to grease the springs as it definitely has some stiction

Need to look into what grease is best as im sure putting lard on it wont be a great idea :D

Build quality is phenomenal however just the assembly is missing the step with the grease ( i believe this is a common issue that none of them get greased ) Had a bit of fun on arma going to wait until i am wide awake before i start mapping buttons for SC :D

Associate
My warthog hotas turned up today! super happy/not happy at the same time. I deffinately need to grease the springs as it definitely has some stiction

Need to look into what grease is best as im sure putting lard on it wont be a great idea :D

Yeah, mine has a bit but I've never bothered with grease etc. Maybe some are worse than others. I know a lot of people have put extensions on it to give it more throw.

You should definitely try that Solarfly xml/target profile I posted earlier in the thread. It makes a massive difference compared to the stock warthog bindings. Stuff like having a 3 way switch on the throttle, causing the JS thumb toggle on the left side to either do shield balance/power balance or hud selection depending on its position. Stuff like that.

It's great.

Soldato
Hey Damien, thanks for the advice, i actually found the solarfly preset myself earlier whilst looking for some SC/HOTAS stuff.

I have to admit i wish he was a bit clearer at explaining things in his readme as a lot of it seems to tell you to do something but not where to do it.

for example

1. With TARGET Script Running, determine which device input is yours. Let's say your
thrustmaster is device 1. You will load layout_solarfly_tm1.
2. Lets say your rudders are input 3. You will also load layout_solarfly_rud3.
3. Let's suppose you don't have rudders. Just load any of the rudder profiles along
with your layout_solarfly_tmN file (where N corresponds with your device number).

Thats all good and well but where am i loading these files? I have noticed this a lot in his video and readme it does seem ill explained. Despite how good the profile is. I have seen people on his video politely asking him for help and him subsequently telling them to get ****** and that his explanation is perfect and they should go to school and such so i get the feeling he is bit of an elitist douche so don't particularly fancy having any form of attempted communication with him to figure this out as i suspect i would just get **** on for being new to the hotas community.

Associate
Hey Damien, thanks for the advice, i actually found the solarfly preset myself earlier whilst looking for some SC/HOTAS stuff.

I have to admit i wish he was a bit clearer at explaining things in his readme as a lot of it seems to tell you to do something but not where to do it.

for example

1. With TARGET Script Running, determine which device input is yours. Let's say your
thrustmaster is device 1. You will load layout_solarfly_tm1.
2. Lets say your rudders are input 3. You will also load layout_solarfly_rud3.
3. Let's suppose you don't have rudders. Just load any of the rudder profiles along
with your layout_solarfly_tmN file (where N corresponds with your device number).

Thats all good and well but where am i loading these files? I have noticed this a lot in his video and readme it does seem ill explained. Despite how good the profile is. I have seen people on his video politely asking him for help and him subsequently telling them to get ****** and that his explanation is perfect and they should go to school and such so i get the feeling he is bit of an elitist douche so don't particularly fancy having any form of attempted communication with him to figure this out as i suspect i would just get **** on for being new to the hotas community.

Yeah it seemed a bit complicated to me too. It wasn't that bad though. I'll talk you through it when I get up tomorrow if you want. I'm on a night shift now so it'll be when I wake up.

I followed this section of the readme:

VETERAN QUICK START
-------------------
1. Delete your USER folder if you have just upgraded from 2.3 to 2.4.
2. Load StarCitizen_Solarfly_v2.4.tmc into TARGET Script. Edit and save pilot_settings.tmh. Run.
2. Start Star Citizen.
3. Copy the layout_solarfly_tm1 and other XML files into the Mappings folder.
4. In both Arena Commander and Universe, you will have to
a. pp_rebindkeys
b. pp_rebindkeys layout_solarfly_tm1
5. If your rudders are not on Device ID 2, you can load layout_solarfly_rud3, 4 or 5 as an overlay to tm1.
You always need to load tm1 first

I only use the layout_solarfly_tm1 rebind. The others are for various brands of rudders and for non standard USB profiles. They just overwrite layout_solarfly_tm1 where required. Where it says "Edit and save pilot_settings.tmh", that file will show with other nested files under StarCitizen_Solarfly_v2.4.tmc when you open it in Target Script Editor (install that obvs).

Note that the profile is for 2.4. Autoland was added in 2.5 so you need a slight edit to one of the files. I'll check which one when get up tomorrow but then it'll map to AP Eng (hold) when the AP switch is in Alt (bottom) position. I'll just zip and send my config files to you if needs be.

Edit: Here's my copy of the profile: Dropbox Link

Copy all the XML's to Cloud Imperium Games\StarCitizen\Public\USER\Controls\Mappings.
Everything else leave in the folder.
Launch Target Script Editor.
Open StarCitizen_Solarfly_v2.4.tmc.
tjpCBnd.png

Click pilot_settings.tmh and set rudders to 1 or 0.
Fy67nNL.png

Save & run StarCitizen_Solarfly_v2.4.tmc and look for confirmation text at the bottom that stuff's worked.
pGYN4tm.png

Enter game, do pp_rebindkeys layout_warthog_solarfly (I do it on the main menu) and go fly. It stays the same between restarts so you should only need to rebind it if something breaks.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks a lot Damien ive noticed where i was going wrong thanks to this. Everywhere says to do pp_rebindkeys layout_warthog_solarfly but it does not have the warthog in the xml file name so i tried pp_rebindkeys layout_solarfly_tm1 and it works like a treat

Thanks a lot :)

Associate
Thanks a lot Damien ive noticed where i was going wrong thanks to this. Everywhere says to do pp_rebindkeys layout_warthog_solarfly but it does not have the warthog in the xml file name so i tried pp_rebindkeys layout_solarfly_tm1 and it works like a treat

Thanks a lot :)

Oh yeah, I never noticed that. It used to be layout_warthog_solarfly until the last version where he added all the other xml's and changed the name. I rename mine to make it shorter to type anyway. There's no issue with doing that.

Caporegime
Someone found some assets in 2.5 and reconstructed them in Max, best he could, no textures...

Remember the earlier conversation about spending years building assets, after that its just a case of stitching it all together....

Star Citizen: Building Terra Prime, behind the scene (no sound)

I'm speechless.... :eek: have you ever seen anything like this in any live game?

1000.png

Last edited:
Associate
I cant imagine we'll be freely walking around the whole area, but we do know there are train networks on planets which will take you to other areas, i think they showed it in the 2nd year CitCon presentation during the recap section, hasnt been seen or heard of since. It'd be amazing if that transportation was above ground and could take you through the city so you got to feel the scale of it, without CIG needing to give 90% of the city a purpose beyond giving it the feel of scale you'd expect to see.

However the fact that it exists, with so much detail, is amazing. Would love them to show Terra off in a similar way to how we first saw Arc Corp, but it might not be far enough along and have other stuff (like SQ42 & ProcGen v3) which is closer and better to show and not really have time for filler content, where a year or 2 back they werent so spoilt for choice.

Caporegime
Right... most of that is going to be inaccessible, just props.

But it looks like we will be able to fly around in amongst those props, with designated landing zones amongst that lot, which would be accessible on foot / by ship.

The big tower looks like it may contain the conference hall from the SQ42 intro.

I think it would be madness to think even 20% of all that as accessible, it looks about the size of Newyork city. not just Manhattan Island, the whole city.

Its certainly possible that those props are detailed enough shells to fly around, freely.
That alone would give an enormousness a sense immersive of awe.

Either way, its in the Engine, which means its real, what's more to some degree it exists already, we just can't access it, yet.

Last edited:
Soldato
Someone found some assets in 2.5 and reconstructed them in Max, best he could, no textures...

Remember the earlier conversation about spending years building assets, after that its just a case of stitching it all together....

Star Citizen: Building Terra Prime, behind the scene (no sound)

Associate
Right... most of that is going to be inaccessible, just props.

But it looks like we will be able to fly around in amongst those props, with designated landing zones amongst that lot, which would be accessible on foot / by ship.

The big tower looks like it may contain the conference hall from the SQ42 intro.

I think it would be madness to think even 20% of all that as accessible, it looks about the size of Newyork city. not just Manhattan Island, the whole city.

Its certainly possible that those props are detailed enough shells to fly around, freely.
That alone would give an enormousness a sense immersive of awe.

Either way, its in the Engine, which means its real, what's more to some degree it exists already, we just can't access it, yet.

Not sure we'll be able to fly near it, only along the flight path, but the fact that the city isnt just simple geometry building blocks suggests theres surely more accessibility to those areas than most games would bother, the only reason i added the 'not feely walking around' bit was because of references to The Division, as while i'd agree they look like they could easily be of a similar scale, we wont be roaming around like TD lets you.

I really like the idea of using local transportation to get to different areas, especially when it lets them take us on a route that can be higher quality than 90% of the city actually is, you get to feel that its a major city on a highly populated planet, cos right now Arc Corp doesnt feel like a significant planet because we only see Area 18 and it feels like a level because you dont witness anything that makes you view it any other way.

I didnt watch much of that video, perhaps if there was commentary it would have been easier, but watching them interact with assets and not really knowing why they feel thats worth showing, just makes it irritating. So i just skipped through to a few spots. Also only really want to see enough to sort of show where things are at, not enough to spoil it.

Soldato
OP
Even if it's accessible what you access has to be worth it. Seen too many games with huge areas and little of value in them, which is why I suspect most of that is dressing for a smaller hand made area.

Caporegime
Not sure we'll be able to fly near it, only along the flight path, but the fact that the city isnt just simple geometry building blocks suggests theres surely more accessibility to those areas than most games would bother, the only reason i added the 'not feely walking around' bit was because of references to The Division, as while i'd agree they look like they could easily be of a similar scale, we wont be roaming around like TD lets you.

I really like the idea of using local transportation to get to different areas, especially when it lets them take us on a route that can be higher quality than 90% of the city actually is, you get to feel that its a major city on a highly populated planet, cos right now Arc Corp doesnt feel like a significant planet because we only see Area 18 and it feels like a level because you dont witness anything that makes you view it any other way.

I didnt watch much of that video, perhaps if there was commentary it would have been easier, but watching them interact with assets and not really knowing why they feel thats worth showing, just makes it irritating. So i just skipped through to a few spots. Also only really want to see enough to sort of show where things are at, not enough to spoil it.

Thats a good point, and i suppose letting us roam around freely would not be a good idea, Impman will be crashing into everything in sight, Worzel will want to kill everything he sees, Raumarik will spend the rest of his life burgling residence for Whisky and no ones 300 series ship will be safe with me in the area :D

Back
Top Bottom