Worth waiting for 2016 MacBook Pro for USB-C?

Soldato
Apple maybe waiting for Kaby Lake processors. The Asus Transformer is due out towards the end of the year and that will use Kaby Lake Core M.

Sky Lake or the associated chipset seems incomplete with regards to full USB 3.1 Type-C implementation. The Asus Transformer 3 with KL has USB 3.1 Gen 2 (10/20Gbps) + Thunderbolt 3 (40Gbps) over the USB Type-C port. All current machines are USB 3.1 Gen 1 (5Gbps) unless they have a separate controller for Thunderbolt.

High end Kaby Lake parts that are to be used in MacBook Pros won't be released this year. The Skylake parts were just released in late March (Apple uses the CPUs with stronger iGPUs that are released later during the cycle).

Most likely Apple has been waiting for mobile Pascal/Polaris and SM961 SSDs.

Soldato
I hope they dont get rid of the audi jack on the new macbooks

What, and put a lightning adapter on it? I highly doubt that will happen, lightning seems reserved for ios devices, and anything where they want to sell over priced bespoke/proprietary accessories.

USB-C is going to be the next industry standard connection across pretty much every peripheral, and youll more likely see an adapter released for it. :)

Soldato
I am as well.... a year gone now. If this doesn't come out in Oct I will go ballistic.

Well, this is what happens when you tie yourself into an OS that only has one hardware vendor, they rule your choice rather than you having the power to go elsewhere. Apple excel at incompatibility and proprietary hard and software.

Associate
Well, this is what happens when you tie yourself into an OS that only has one hardware vendor, they rule your choice rather than you having the power to go elsewhere. Apple excel at incompatibility and proprietary hard and software.

Actually I'm not tied into MacOS at all. This will be my first experience with it. I'm just tired of other laptop manufacturers. Always an issue with build quality and no complaints from MBPs.

Soldato
Im certainly waiting for official news on the MBP refresh. While i may not get one if its still months away, if we get solid details next month ill decide. USB-C and TB3 are things I want on a machine ill be using for 3+ years. The MBPs competitors have better spec and connectivity currently and compared with its counterparts its starting to age, which makes the 200-300 quid price premium hard to swallow.

I only want it as a development/work machine for its terminal, which i can get with a normal laptop and Ubuntu/windows dual boot if the refresh doesnt cut it/takes several more months.

Last edited:
Associate
I made the change from a Dell XPS15z in 2013, the Dell had to have parts replaced around 6 times from Dell, I finally lost it and bought my first MAC. Late 2013 Pro, 256gb.

Never looked back, used daily and still boots in under 7 seconds. Never had to think about rebuilding or anything :)

Associate
I always wonder why boot time is so important metric for people, especially with macs.

Why would you ever boot your mac, other than once a month or so for OSX / MacOS updates?

Associate
I always wonder why boot time is so important metric for people, especially with macs.

Why would you ever boot your mac, other than once a month or so for OSX / MacOS updates?

I never normally shut it down, but the one time a month I do, I am always happy when its back on so quickly.

I suppose I am more surprised that at just under 3 years old I have not had to reinstall anything :D

Associate
I'm still running my 13" late 2011 MBP daily, I use it at work every day and all I've done to it is installed an SSD, have to say I'm very impressed with it considering it's 5 years old, still rock solid, is in mint condition and just trucks on. Will probably grab the new one whenever it finally comes out.

Associate
I'm still running my 13" late 2011 MBP daily, I use it at work every day and all I've done to it is installed an SSD, have to say I'm very impressed with it considering it's 5 years old, still rock solid, is in mint condition and just trucks on. Will probably grab the new one whenever it finally comes out.

I am exactly the same only mine is 15in 2011 and I too installed an SSD and use it daily. Think its about time/worth me upgrading though to the latest one when it arrives, hopefully before Christmas.

Back
Top Bottom