4k monitor for PS4 pro

Associate
Need some advise i have always console gamed on a monitor and with the new ps4 pro coming out im after an upgrade to a 4k monitor but i cant seem to find one that has HDR and 60hz by hdmi

Caporegime
Yea looks like thats what ill try and find, any good suggestions?

Budget? I'd also make a thread in Home Cinema section too, some guys there will be lots more knowledgeable :)

I went with the Philips 43PUT4900 (£280, 4K), and although no HDR it does have excellent image quality for the money!

Associate
OP
Budget? I'd also make a thread in Home Cinema section too, some guys there will be lots more knowledgeable :)

I went with the Philips 43PUT4900 (£280, 4K), and although no HDR it does have excellent image quality for the money!

Will do, erm probably like 500-600 , thats not a bad price for 4k

Caporegime
I'm sure Eurogamer or Digitalfoundry mentioned using a Samsung 4k HDR TV in one of their videos recently and said the input lag was very low.

It was a 40" model and was midrange, so approx £600 I think.

Soldato
HDR monitors simply dont exist, sadly. There are 10 bit panels out there, but I'm pretty sure they're still using sRGB, so cant quite utilize the wide gamut that HDR will enable.

Basically, there are no monitors out there that will fully utilize the capabilities of a PS4 Pro.

You're gonna need to buy a TV for that, and even then, there's few very options that have 'true' HDR capability(which is a super confusing subject at the moment), plus they're all fairly large sizes, quite expensive and many introduce a good amount of input lag when running HDR content.

You can of course still get a 4k monitor and still enjoy the resolution benefits. Just make sure to get one with HDMI 2.0 as many dont and only allow 4k/60fps through Displayport.

It's all a bit of a mess right now, honestly.

Soldato
HDR monitors simply dont exist, sadly. There are 10 bit panels out there, but I'm pretty sure they're still using sRGB, so cant quite utilize the wide gamut that HDR will enable.

Basically, there are no monitors out there that will fully utilize the capabilities of a PS4 Pro.

You're gonna need to buy a TV for that, and even then, there's few very options that have 'true' HDR capability(which is a super confusing subject at the moment), plus they're all fairly large sizes, quite expensive and many introduce a good amount of input lag when running HDR content.

You can of course still get a 4k monitor and still enjoy the resolution benefits. Just make sure to get one with HDMI 2.0 as many dont and only allow 4k/60fps through Displayport.

It's all a bit of a mess right now, honestly.

Super mess. And it's not cheap either. Can't see myself making a move until early next year anyway. Hopefully some decent deals to be had just after Christmas

Soldato
From what I gather HDR makes more of a positive difference than the jump to higher resolution, so it's worth going for a low input lag hdr model if you can budget one. Or wait for one that you can.

Associate
4K TVs are far too expensive comapred to 4K monitors, but there are some limitation with current monitor models. HDR hasn't really taken off yet with Monitors and there aren't too many which do the 4K via HDMI.

Here's one that does have HDMI 2.0 for 4k60 via HDMI, but it is a TN panel and doesn't have speakers: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sams...k-widescreen-lcd-monitor-black-mo-22s-sa.html

All the other monitors in that price range only do the 4k60 with Displayport, so it's not a bad shout. The only thing you'll be missing is HDR and built in speakers, so you might have to make sure you have some sort of seperate audio for your PS4 Pro.

This more pricey model also has the option of plugging in a soundbar to the monitor, which would mean you don't need any extra audio cables from the PS4, besides the one HDMI cable. It's also a PLS screen, which is a bit better than TN: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sams...c-widescreen-lcd-monitor-black-mo-22u-sa.html

Soldato
According to the link above for the KS7500 TV, is not that different than the 4K Samsung monitors that coming out with Quantum Dot, having also the added bonus of freesync.

Or missing something?

Back
Top Bottom