Honda S2000 Replacement Soft Top

Associate
Hey guys, Picked up a Honda S2000 last night, pretty chuffed with the car but the soft top has a few tears in it. I know there's a few members on here who have owned a S2000 so thought I'd make a thread about it.

Anyone got any recommendations where I can get a replacement soft top from that fits properly, would prefer one with a glass screen and in black. Thanks :)

Soldato
Had mine done at Jack Smith in Swansea. It's a bit of a drive, but for £280 I couldn't complain. The next cheapest one was nearly £700 and I've got a mohair hood. Do you already have a glass rear window?

Oh, and it fits very well. I know what everyone says - buy cheap, but twice, but frankly at this price it's almost the same as a set of rear tyres and could almost be considered a disposable item.

We need to see pictures of your new car...

Don
There's a chap in South Wales that makes new tops for these. You have to leaver your car with him for a couple of days so he can transfer your rear window glass to the new roof. Lots of people on S2KI have used him. I don't have his details but the guys over on S2KI will be able to help you out for sure.

[edit]
Beaten. That's the guy.

Associate
OP
Had mine done at Jack Smith in Swansea. It's a bit of a drive, but for £280 I couldn't complain. The next cheapest one was nearly £700 and I've got a mohair hood. Do you already have a glass rear window?

Oh, and it fits very well. I know what everyone says - buy cheap, but twice, but frankly at this price it's almost the same as a set of rear tyres and could almost be considered a disposable item.

We need to see pictures of your new car...

I'll post up some pictures later on, it's a 2001 but has the AP2 soft top fitted with the glass screen. I've just checked out jack smith but it's a 235 mile trip each way. I dont mind paying a bit extra for someone who's closer? :D

There's a chap in South Wales that makes new tops for these. You have to leaver your car with him for a couple of days so he can transfer your rear window glass to the new roof. Lots of people on S2KI have used him. I don't have his details but the guys over on S2KI will be able to help you out for sure.

[edit]
Beaten. That's the guy.

You don't need to leave the car with him. He did mine in a morning while I waited. Swansea is also surprisingly nice.

Would prefer not to leave my car and just be able to drive home the same day to be honest but again would consider someone closer and dont mind paying a bit extra :)

Don
I have zero experience in this, besides adding that a lot of MX5 guys go to the same bloke in Swansea for their soft tops.

Only read positive things tbh.

Swansea is a dump though, just less of a dump than Birmingham I guess :D

Soldato
Birmingham's streets are paved with gold! I don't know what you mean!!

I had great service from Jack, I'm not quite sure what else I should have expected for 5 star service?!

It's a long way, but factoring in the time and fuel costs it was still far cheaper than the next best which was still a good 120 mile round trip. OEM is extremely expensive. I understand if you can't spare a day and need the car collecting and dropping off or something, but expect to pay much more!

Associate
There's a bunch of guys I know that have mr2 roadsters and they use him too. He's basically the go to guy for soft top replacement in the UK.

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
Echoing Jack Smith. My old '5 had a JS roof and it was miles better than the one on my current car (possibly original!)

Associate
Back when I had a soft top jack smith was indeed the bloke everyone recommended.

Btw, AP2 s2000's don't exist in UK form. It's the designation for the models with the slightly larger capacity engine introduced to the U.S. market. Any car since 2002 would have a glass rear screen. (Or retrofit like yours) ;)

Associate
OP
I actually spoke to Jack yesterday and got myself booked in next week but I just cancelled my appointment as I've just managed to find a perfect condition soft top complete roof with frames, motors everything and a standard exhaust for £50! Only half an hour away too :D

I'll be swapping the roof's over myself this weekend :)

Man of Honour
Jack did mine, someone said he's passed away now but the lad that worked there is still there.

It's not the best quality, you'll get some strands here and there and it's not going to be as good as a proper hood for £700+. But, it's cheap and keeps the rain out and seemed to last

Associate
Jack did mine, someone said he's passed away now but the lad that worked there is still there.

It's not the best quality, you'll get some strands here and there and it's not going to be as good as a proper hood for £700+. But, it's cheap and keeps the rain out and seemed to last

It's not been Jack for a long time, it's his son who I seem to remember being called Raymond, but could be wrong.

Lovely chap, but does look like you're driving down a tiny back-alley and going to have the car nicked

Back
Top Bottom