Fuji x-e2 / A6000 beginner being crap?

Associate
I've ended up with both an A6000 with the 16-50) and also a X-E2 XF 18-55 ......question is which one to keep.... I like the feel of the sony with the larger grip / handhold it certainly seems a lot more confident in the focusing department..... I like the controls on the Fuji the straight forward not having to jump through menus and stuff. The lens on the fuji also seems a lot better made.....focus ring is a lot nicer to use.
I would obviously like to grow the "system" of the one I end up keeping.
Initially I'm leaning towards the Sony, as it's very much more a point and shoot and will get the job done with reasonable results.
The fuji on the other hand seems like hard work to get a decent pic out of it. However when I manage to get it right I would say the fuji produces better results.
I've just been out trying to take a pic of a bee with the both of them.. shots below... Yes they are bad pics, though I think this is more down to my lack of photographic skills in reality. I feel that the fuji would stretch me as well as frustrate me but would be better in the long term with getting a better grasp of camera use, though the sony would work better to start with but, wouldn't be as good a teacher?
Any thoughts? maybe I need to do an online course
Thanks very much for any input.

fuji pic
fuji.jpg

sony pic
sony.jpg

Soldato
I have the sony A6000 and love it,you get used to the menu and the camera the more you use it.

the only downside to the sony vs the fuji is the amount of lens for the sony where as the fuji have more.

I have 4 lens for my sony and will stay at that,i did have a dslr (nikon D7000+5 lens) but the weight for me made me choose the sony,im very very happy with the sony and the shots it can take.

Have a look at the amount of lens you want and what style you will be using the camera for,i do a lot of street shots but you might be the other side and take shots of landscapers ect.

Also have a look at the fuji lens vs the sony lens line up.

Associate
OP
Have to agree having had a look through whats available.

The Sony line up is a little limited, in comparison to the Fuji line up.

Shooting wise a bit of every thing really.

The XF lenses seem to be a bit cheeper than the Sony pro lenses, which is nice.

thanks

Soldato
A few things I'd suggest:

Make sure you have the latest firmware (4.0) on the X-E2 as it is a big improvement over the previous version. Even then, it is not a super-quick camera in terms of autofocus speed or overall responsiveness. What Fuji does very well though is colour, experiment with the different film modes as they are all good and all quite different.

Get yourself a book or two, there is a very good list here - http://photodoto.com/photography-books-for-beginners/ . Photography might be an art but early on there is a lot you can learn that will help you feel less clueless and give you better results. Learn the rules until you feel confident enough to break them :)

Get yourself a copy of Lightroom/Photoshop, it's pretty cheap if you sign up for a monthly subscription with Adobe. Then read up on some basic post-processing to help you get the most from your pictures. Lightroom will also help you organise your photos, don't forget to back them up somewhere as well.

Lastly, take your camera/s with you as much as possible, you will take a lot of rubbish photos as a beginner (unless you are naturally gifted) but you'll start to feel out what type of photos you like.

Oh and one last thing - don't get sucked into buying any more kit for at least a couple of months. If you find yourself blaming the camera/lens then hop on flickr and see what other people are doing with them before you spend/waste a heap of cash. Don't worry though, soon enough you'll be spending money like the rest of us!

Associate
OP
Both cameras and lenses are on the latest firmware.

Thanks for link plenty to choose from!! I shall order some.

I'll take a look at lightroom, noticed it's on offer sometimes with lenses.

Ha I'm certainly accomplished in the rubbish photos department. But sure, practice make improvements. Certainly the Sony is more portable, then without out wanting to start a flame war M43 is lighter and more pocket-able again.

Have had a look around flickr and have to say results from both cameras are impressive (in the right hands). Also handy seeing what settings they used in a shot.

Have been looking at more lenses and macro lenses the 90mm Sony macro looks amazing, but guess it should for the price! Though photography it would seem is more about the glass and a good eye than the body used, only M43 gives you a whole lot more choices, but if the lens you want are in the other formats it's down to which menu system and camera layout you prefer.

thanks for your input.

Soldato
These are my lens
I got the a600 with the two kit lens.

16-50,hardly use this now and use a prime more.

I like the 55-210 and use it quite a bit.

Sigma 19mm 2.8,only just got this and its very sharp,quick at auto-focus and great for landscapes and portraits.

Sony 28mm 2.0,amazing lens for the money and use it when im in london.

Olympus 50 mm manual focus lens,amazing bokeh and style from this lens,takes a bit getting used to but creates some great atmospheric shots,only cost me £15 for the lens and £8 for the adapter.

Associate
OP
thanks

the Sigmas seem to be pretty well regarded on the E-Mount and they are well priced for the quality that you get from them.

Just had a quick look on flickr at the 28mm WOW thats an amazing lens.

I noticed seems lots of people are using old minolta / rokkor lenses on Sony Alpha cameras

Soldato
To be fair, comparing the Sony 16-50 pancake lens to the Fuji 18-55 wasn't really a fair test. The Sony is well known for being one of the worst kit lenses, whilst the Fuji is probably the best.

Put good glass on the a6000 and you'll quickly see that the main differences between them comes down to colour with Fuji being a bit more saturated and a bit more sharpness on the Fuji due to the different sensor design.

Soldato
If you stick with Sony get a Sony LA-EA2 Adaptor which then opens you up to the wonderful world of old Minolta glass while at the same maintaining full AF and metering. Some brilliant and very cheap lenses available such as the 50mm f1.7, 70-210 f4 Beercan, 28mm f2.8 and 100mm f2.8 Macro, you of course mount also mount all Sony A-Mount lenses as well with it.

Why every e-mount owner doesn't have one blows my mind.

I still use all my old Minolta glass to this very day on my Sony A99.

Associate
OP
just had a quick search through flickr for a6000 and Minolta WOW some amazing pics from the lenses you've mentioned.

I guess the only sacrifices are weight and size of the lenses over e-mount / M43 but bang for buck it really is amazing.

thanks!!

RaV

RaV

Associate
I will say that I love my XE2. I have big hands and had to get the fuji grip for it which adds a bit of height to the bottom of the camera and bulks up the front hand grip. It makes the world of difference to me.

I can imagine having the two of them and deciding must be a tricky experience. I found I got used to the Fuji really quick. I especially like how well the auto ISO and min shutter speed work. But the few times Ive picked up a Sony I feel so confused by how different it is. So good luck! haha

Associate
OP
if size and weight are pretty much mitigated then it's certainly an area that needs serious consideration. when considering it only needs the outlay of an adapter to get some nice glass.

the XE2 with a grip would certainly be welcome the Sony I feel confident with holding without a strap when walking about the XE2 is just well not a lot to get hold of lol

Be perfect if I could keep both, un-fortinately one will have to go.

thanks

Associate
OP
Well I honestly don't know yet, both have pro's and con's.

Going to the local camera club tonight hopefully, get some other opinions and at least have people run through the menus and camera controls.

Associate
OP
I've decided to keep the Fuji :)

When I manage to get the shot right I prefer how the fuji looks and using the controls on the fuji i also prefer. The X-T2 will be a nice upgrade in the future.

RaV

RaV

Associate
Either of them are decent cameras but I'm a bit biased ;)
The Fuji controls are nice and with some button reassigning its even nicer. Put something useful like ISO on that Wifi button!

As I said before the grip does actually make a big difference with just being able to hold the camera in your hand. So definitely something to keep an eye out for

Associate
OP
Exactly I've put iso on the wifi button.

focus on the macro button as it has changed on the latest firmware so kinda made sense to change it to focus point.

Enjoying it so far and trying to decide between the 35/1.4 or 35/2 now lol

Back
Top Bottom