*** Sky Q Thread ***

Caporegime
So I see that Sky Q are offering some pretty crazy deals to CPW customers, and I rang up to enquire about upgrading my package as in my Sky I can get Sky Q with 2Tb package and additional box for £55 a month which is what I pay now, but they want £198 one off install cost, which to me is ridiculous, she wouldn't do anything on it either, is there anyway around this or anything that I could ask to be done?

Soldato
Had Sky Q installed on Friday thanks to a F&F discount code from Misschief and so far I'm really liking it.

The new box is vastly superior in terms of speed and I'm quite liking some of the new features (such as the ability to quickly see what is currently on on the previous channel - great for skipping adds I find!).

A minor annoyance however is the lack of a dedicated tv guide button and the fact that Sky default you to their 'Top Picks' page when you hit menu/home which I find a bit cheeky considering its a paid for service and they are effectively using 'Top Picks' to tout their wares ;)

The installer I had was great, fitted a Hybrid LNB, made some minor cabling alterations and set up everything over Ethernet without a grumble.

All in all, I'm very pleased, a nice reduction in rental vs what I was paying for SkyHD and for a superior service.

p.s. don't forget to update the default display config on the mini's from 1080i to 1080p as the picture quality is notably better!
What process did you go through to order as it sounds like you were already a customer?

Associate
As a customer of nearly 20 years I was offered nothing at launch then £100 off the upfront cost a few months down the line but was still £250 and £56 a month.

Left it a while longer and phoned back about 2 months ago. £50 upfront and £44 a month for Sky Q silver and 1 mini box. No sports or movies but retain Sky F1 HD. Pretty happy with that as it's £10 a month less than I was paying for sky+ HD and 1 multi room subscription.

Soldato
A[L]C;30028805 said:
What process did you go through to order as it sounds like you were already a customer?

Luckily for me, the agent who processed my original Sky HD order via phone a couple of years back had entered my address incorrectly (mixed up the first and second lines of the address) which meant I could raise a new customer Sky Q order via Sky's website without an issue. Once the new order was confirmed I issued notice on my existing service and then just delayed install of Q so I didn't pay for both :)

p.s. I'm still really liking Sky Q so far!

Soldato
We had Sky Q installed on Wednesday. Loving it so far. The menu system is so much faster and easier to use than Virgins Tivo box which was rubbish. Unfortunately our TV broke a day after we got Sky Q installed so we have just bought a new 4k TV to go along with it. The picture looks amazing on Ultra HD content. Hopefully they'll start putting Cricket on Ultra HD :).

Very happy with it and having Sky Sports and Sky Cinema gives you loads of content to watch even when there is nothing good on live TV.

Soldato
Spoke to Sky who said it would be an extra £12 a month and £60 fee to upgrade to a 2TB Q and 1 Mini but then when my F&F runs out in December my bill would go from £37 a month to £83 a month. :/ I said I would wait to see what I get offered in December.

Soldato
Anyone else find the volume on the Sky Q box a lot lower?

Used to be that HD channels were considerably louder than SD on the old box and now they are all same but the TV volume needs to be a lot higher as standard.

Associate
I found, especially with the Sky Cinema channels, that the sound has been lower on my old HD box since the last updates. Is it related to the new improved sound they've been touting rather than the box?

Soldato
Anyone else find the volume on the Sky Q box a lot lower?

Used to be that HD channels were considerably louder than SD on the old box and now they are all same but the TV volume needs to be a lot higher as standard.

Yeah I've found the exact same thing. The volume needs to be a lot higher than the Virgin Tivo box.

Associate
I've been enjoying the Silver UHD box/service for about 10 days now since the install, and so far it's been a great experience, however the mini boxes what a pile of rubbish. In that time I've had multilpe crashes, black flashing pictures, and no network error messages. Each time I have to unplug the mini and go through the setup process again and it'll behave for about a day before acting up again. This is setup wireless to the silver box.

I have an ethernet switch by the mini but the sky engineer couldn't get the mini working through it, and claimed it's a common problem and that mini's only liked being connected direct to the broadband router. I've got multiple devices plugged into that switch with no issues, the mind boggles how they have setup the network connectivity if they are having issues like this ....

I'll be on the phone on tomorrow to them to see what can be sorted as I've had enough of this.

Soldato
Turn on the ethernet via the hidden settings menu, plug in your ethernet cbale to all your mini q boxes and enjoy it!

I have 2 mini q boxes connected to my gigabit switch, which is in turn plugged into my router which has my 2 TB Q box plugged directly into.

Associate
Turn on the ethernet via the hidden settings menu, plug in your ethernet cbale to all your mini q boxes and enjoy it!

I have 2 mini q boxes connected to my gigabit switch, which is in turn plugged into my router which has my 2 TB Q box plugged directly into.

Installed a new switch which resolved the connectivity issue, I've also turned off all the wifi on all the sky boxes through the installer menu so fingers crossed it resolves all the issues.

Cob

Cob

Soldato
Signed up for this as soon as my latest 60% offer kicked in. Being installed on Thursday morning. Can't wait.

An extra £12 a month and £30 installation.

Soldato
I've got a bit of a weird problem with Sky Q.

When I turn the TV on and watch Sky Q everything works perfectly. If I am watching Sky Q and decide to watch something on Netflix via my Xbox One that works fine but when I turn off the Xbox One and return to Sky Q it says the TV doesn't support HDCP which it obviously does as it wouldn't work playing Blu-rays or Sky Q if it didn't.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem is? The only way to fix it is to turn everything off at the mains and reboot the whole lot. Then it works fine until I watch something again on the Xbox One.

Associate
Got Sky Q last month. It's certainly snazzy and the EPG is a good cut above the SkyHD one. I especially like the live previews on the Now&Next banner if you look at other channels.

However, the miniboxes are quite ropey on wireless. The last few times I've tried to use mine, it's crashed and refuses to switch on... then I have to reboot and run through the set up each time.

Going to look at using the Ethernet soon I think.

Caporegime
It's weird how the Mini seems to be hit and miss for some, apart from having to reboot mine once it's been pretty much flawless. Oh, and I switched WiFi on my Macbook from the 5GHz to the 2.4GHz network and it fell over.

Back
Top Bottom