Facebook may be listening to your conversations and targeting ads to you...

Man of Honour
Earlier this afternoon I was discussing a washing machine with my eldest and came on OCUK to ask OldCoals a question and when I went on Facebook to advertise tonights gig the first thing that came up was an advert for AO with Samsing and LG washing machines in the picture.

Soldato
Not on my PC, I was sitting at it with my phone next to the keyboard.

I was just wondering if they tied it to IP rather than listening.

I just think of all these speech to text converters and how woefully bad they can be sometimes. It doesn't add up that they're using them for advertising.

Music/adverts/tv I can understand but not speech :confused:.

Man of Honour
Earlier this afternoon I was discussing a washing machine with my eldest and came on OCUK to ask OldCoals a question and when I went on Facebook to advertise tonights gig the first thing that came up was an advert for AO with Samsing and LG washing machines in the picture.

Happens :S I was discussing cereal with my mum once - didn't mention anything out loud that would have narrowed it down to any one but the topic was about a specific cereal - refreshed facebook and there was an ad for the exact cereal (I've never searched or shopped for it on my PC).

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I don't get it. Facebook is a free service. I didn't and don't pay any money to "them"?

You don't have to pay for facebook as you're not their customer. You're the product they're selling.

It's data mining is incredible. People are volunteering the information. The security services don't need to go digging, it's all there in the open. :D

Man of Honour
You don't have to pay for facebook as you're not their customer. You're the product they're selling.

It's data mining is incredible. People are volunteering the information. The security services don't need to go digging, it's all there in the open. :D

<Picture of the man with a tin foil hat>

I'm pretty sure the 'Security Services' have got me pegged correctly -
1) Plays in a band
2) Links to Snopes a lot
3) Take the pee a lot

Actually they can get more information about me off this social media site.
There is infinitely more stuff here than Facebook.

Soldato
I've never used the mobile app for fb or most other social media as my understanding at the time was they would also read all the contacts stored on your device which I just find unethical. If someone has shared their contact details with you they didn't give you permission to then share them on. It's they way they go about getting all that info even though the owner may not be on facebook or chosen not to share that info with them, they still get it via the back door. Also all them quiz type apps on fb, asking people that know you all sorts to gather as much as they can.

Last edited:
Soldato
My android phone is chinese and the adapted android version happens to have more security permission controls that normal. (albeit it's probably riddled with chinese snooping tech)
Anyway. Facebook always pops up to ask for permission for my camera and microphone, when i load it. Regardless of whether I am trying to take a photo or video.

Caporegime
I'm convinced they are after tonight. I was watching Ray Donovan when suddenly I noticed that Katie Holmes' character had braces on. I mentioned this to my brother. Now I've never seen an advert for braces before, but I went on Facebook only ten minutes after and the first advert I see is for Invisalign.

ronswansonthrowingawaycomputer.gif

Back
Top Bottom