2 Monitors Different Wallpapers

Associate
Is there a way of having 2 different wallpapers without additional software?

I have a 1080p monitor (portrait) & 1440p monitor (landscape).

Have tried in windows but it keeps changing the portrait wallpaper to landscape.

cheers.

Associate
OP
windows 10, 1 wallpaper is portrait and the other is landscape.

I used to use displayfusion but would rather not use any extra software if not needed.

Soldato
Assuming you have your monitors side by side, head into Paint and resize a blank image to 3640x1920. Now paste in your 1080x1920 image on one side, and paste in your chosen 2560x1440 image on the other side (if the pictures you want aren't the right sizes, might need to resize them first). Save this and set it as your wallpaper in Windows.

I have my monitors set up as 3 across with 1 above (all are 1920x1080 landscape). I want the bottom three to span a single image across all of them, and the top one to have a different image. I used the above to create a folder with a dozen or so 5760x2160 images and my Windows simply Slideshows through them. Here's what I mean:

Wallpaper%20Folder_zpstrxa2f1k.jpg

I used to use Displayfusion, which is excellent, but I fancied less software running when I switched over to Windows 10 too.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes you can do it in Windows 10, but it's a hidden feature you can't access through the Control Panel normally. Quite easy though.

First prepare the two images you want as wallpapers, one for 1440p and the other for 1080p.

Next, hit the Windows Key + R to bring up the Run box.

Now type the following into the Run box:

control /name Microsoft.Personalization /page pageWallpaper

You'll get a Desktop background dialogue that allows you to set the wallpaper. If you right click on an image you will be offered the options

Set for all monitors
Set for monitor 1
Set for monitor 2

This definitely works, I have two different wallpapers on my 1440p and 1200p monitors.

Associate
OP
Yes you can do it in Windows 10, but it's a hidden feature you can't access through the Control Panel normally. Quite easy though.

First prepare the two images you want as wallpapers, one for 1440p and the other for 1080p.

Next, hit the Windows Key + R to bring up the Run box.

Now type the following into the Run box:

control /name Microsoft.Personalization /page pageWallpaper

You'll get a Desktop background dialogue that allows you to set the wallpaper. If you right click on an image you will be offered the options

Set for all monitors
Set for monitor 1
Set for monitor 2

This definitely works, I have two different wallpapers on my 1440p and 1200p monitors.

thanks all for the help.

Cern's suggestion worked perfect, many thanks.

Associate
I keep seeing posts about the "hidden feature" but all you need to do is right click on the desktop and select personalise.

Then choose a picture and it will appear on every monitor.

Then just right click on the second picture you need and it will give you the option of which monitor you want it on.

Soldato
I keep seeing posts about the "hidden feature" but all you need to do is right click on the desktop and select personalise.

Then choose a picture and it will appear on every monitor.

Then just right click on the second picture you need and it will give you the option of which monitor you want it on.

It was hidden before the most recent "anniversary" Windows 10 update, build 1607. With that patch the method I posted above now no longer works if you have build 1607 installed. But as you suggest this functionality has now been moved to the regular Personalize menu (via right click on desktop). It's a bit clunky juggling the correct pictures into the "Choose your picture" lineup, but once there you can right click and choose which monitor to display the picture on.

Back
Top Bottom