"Triple A" games you wasted money on.

Soldato
The Division. In the space of three months I went from loving it to absolutely loathing it. I generally only buy games on release that I'm sure I'll like and usually only after consulting reviews, but I went rogue with that one. Fork you Ubisoft. Right in the eye.

Soldato
Street Fighter V

Spent more on this than I tend to these days.

I'm still not sure if it's meant to be finished yet and when I tried to have a play last weekend it stopped recognising my pads :/

Soldato
You played it for 3 months? I wouldn't call that a waste of money.

It is when you consider the progressive nature of the game, the time investment in your character, duration to reach "end game" and the many hilarious ways in which the developers decided to erode all of the elements that made it fun, by slowly introducing mechanics that were counter-intuitive to a positive and enjoyable experience.

Soldato
Dues Ex: Mankind Divided.

Put 5 hours into it, but can't be bothered to put in anymore. Bit of a fan of the series, but this one isn't grabbing, no matter how hard I try.
No a bad game, but yeah, wish I never bought it.

Soldato
Immediately come to mind are:-
Doom (2016) - rage quit/deleted after unable to defeat the mid-game boss (on the second round).
Sleeping Dogs - just got tarred trying to do the unarmed combat thing. I loved the atmosphere and Hong Kong surroundings but pointless if unable to get beyond the first few levels.

Thief - I completed a fair bit of this but got bogged down about half way, tired of stealth not really working, little reward for burglary and general lack of motivation.

The Game Of Thrones strategy game where you keep switching characters under-performed and ran out of steam for me.

Soldato
I've added a budget game here too which are vastly highly rated imo. Just wondered how much money I've wasted based on hype(a lot in this forum), reviews etc.

Sim City(Latest One)
Alien Isolation
Metal Gear Solid V(I might give this a good go again in 3440x1440)
Bioshock
Bioshock Infinite
Dishonoured
Company of Heroes 1/2
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided/Deus Ex: HR
Dying Light
Farcry 3/4
Hitman series
Project Cars
Total War series
Sleeping Dogs
All Lego games
Super Meatball
Project Cars
Every Assassins Creed except 2/3
Every Call of Duty except Ghosts.
Every Battlefield except 4
Titanfall
Star Wars: Battlefront
Total War series(no RTS since Dune 2 has appealed to me)
Starcraft 2
Diable 3
Max Payne 3
Homeworld Remastered Collection
Her Story
The Banner Saga

I must have wasted at least £300, which surprises me, I thought it would be a lot more. Anyone care to share their room 101 games? Obviously many of you will disagree with my list, but I'm interested to know what games you have wasted money on based on rubbish reviews or hype?

Wow I love some of those games. I've got hundreds of hours clocked up on:

Company of Hereos 1/2
Total War series (before Total War Rome 2 - Rome 2 and after kinda sucked)
Dishonoured was also an awesome game

and I absolutely hated CoD: Ghosts, what an awful game.

Oh well different strokes for different folks. I can't think of any triple A games I've bought that I absolutely hated in recent memory but then I don't often buy games on release and my gaming time is much less than it used to be. Strategy games are my big thing. I love the depth involved in the really good ones especially Paradox games and other grand strategy games. I also enjoy MMOs which normally means I play one game for a long time only and don't really play any other games in the same period of time.

Soldato
I've added a budget game here too which are vastly highly rated imo. Just wondered how much money I've wasted based on hype(a lot in this forum), reviews etc.

Sim City(Latest One)
Alien Isolation
Metal Gear Solid V(I might give this a good go again in 3440x1440)
Bioshock
Bioshock Infinite
Dishonoured
Company of Heroes 1/2
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided/Deus Ex: HR
Dying Light
Farcry 3/4
Hitman series
Project Cars
Total War series
Sleeping Dogs

All Lego games
Super Meatboy
Project Cars
Every Assassins Creed except 2/3
Every Call of Duty except Ghosts.
Every Battlefield except 4
Titanfall
Star Wars: Battlefront
Total War series(no RTS since Dune 2 has appealed to me)
Starcraft 2
Diable 3
Max Payne 3
Homeworld Remastered Collection
Her Story
The Banner Saga

I must have wasted at least £300, which surprises me, I thought it would be a lot more. Anyone care to share their room 101 games? Obviously many of you will disagree with my list, but I'm interested to know what games you have wasted money on based on rubbish reviews or hype?

I've bolded all the ones I loved. Most of the others I haven't played so I can't comment. Just goes to show how different people's tastes are. Those bolded titles make up hundreds of hours of gameplay for me, probably even into 1000 if you consider that BF BC2 got over 400hrs from me.

I get the sentiment of the post though. I'm sure everyone has bought a game they were super hyped about and ended up disappointed. Like xcom2. I spent £40 on it because I loved the first one, but it just wasn't different enough for me so I've only put about 8hrs into it. It's a great game but I felt like I had already played it.

Soldato
OP
None. I don't buy every big release just because everyone else is.

The only AAA title I bought in last two years was GTA V and that was not a waste as I knew I would like it. I put in 300 hours into that game. Don't understand how people find it boring. The story is rubbish but the actual game is great and cunning stunts online is a lot of fun. You get a lot more out of GTA if you use your imagination.

Yep, like as soon as you have access to all the weapons just cause as much mayhem as possible! Rocket launchers, shotguns to finish them off, fuel tanks, it is basically an adults fair ground ride. I actually thought the story was funny in many parts.

Soldato
OP
I've made many cheaper game purchases though (£20 or less) and never played much of them. I've bought games like GTA IV, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Red Alert 3 but couldn't get into them and dropped them after a few hours.

I guess some of the games listed I didn't pay full price for, but from now on it's just the humble bundle and extensive research for me. Least I know some of my money will go to charity and I'll have a good chance of playing a gem.

Soldato
OP
I am overly careful with money and each game purchase is carefully thought out for days on end, even though the cost might only be a few hours wages. I have avoided a fair few trainwrecks and learnt from each one.

MW3 - I bought months after release, ignoring everyone saying it was trash cause I loved MW2 so much and it was super similar. It was similar but worse in every way. Ended my habit of buying CoD games every year.

BF4 - My last preorder. Regretted every penny I spent on the game and premium for 2 years as they tried to polish the pile of garbage that came out in 2013. However I started to play it the spring and am now really enjoy it. Just a shame that it took 2 years and destroyed the gaming clan I was part of.

Dark Souls 3 - Pirated and loved it, bought it and massive problems became apparent. Hitboxes, instant attacks and the game being designed controller killed all motivation to git gud and I just moved on. I aim to go back, learn the KB+M controls and beat it.

If you can use a gamepad I'd get one, xbox one pads are really good. Price of Deus Ex - Mankind divided, which cost me £50. I'm going to pirate the hell out of the next Deus Ex, believe me.

Soldato
OP
The only recent titles I have purchased that I would consider a waste of time and money are-

Mad Max
The Evil Within
Murdered Soul Suspect

My own fault. They were 3 games I wasn't sure about and I should have waited for sales.

Mad Mad was like £14.99 at CDKeys.com on release, good job as I might not have time to complete that. Evil Within, another game I expected to grab me until I finished it, but it didn't. I will go back to that. MSS, just amazing the fact that I've owned this on PS4, X1 and now PC and think it's ********. I shouldn't of said that!

Soldato
OP
I was listening to a bit of the lavish Diablo 2 soundtrack earlier in the week and was reminded that Diablo 3 was my last big PC mistake. That lost £45 still hurts.

The jury will remain open on Total War: Warhammer and XCOM 2 :)() for the time being. Then again I didn't pay Steam's extortionate asking price for either of them.

XCOM 2 is worth sticking with IF you enjoyed the first one?

Soldato
OP
Not begrudged any game apart from paying full price for Fallout 4. Still not really played it properly but I know I will in the end.

Other than that, I never buy on release and never pay full price. CDKEY sites for me and only a couple of months (or year) down the track.

I think I know what's wrong with me... I'm impulsive and love games way too much.

Back
Top Bottom