Buying more digitally?

Soldato
Does anyone else find they're buying a lot more digitally this generation?
I think with me it's just down to being too lazy to walk across the room and swap out the discs.

It's not as if we have a massive front room that requires an expedition to cross :p

I just bought the last of us remastered in the ps4 weekly sale and I already have the physical version. When I tried explaining to Mrs. Simi she just rolled her eyes and called me mad :eek:

Sales do give very good value but is buying games digitally that you already have going a bit far?

In the last gen I always bought discs because I knew that if they were one-shots then I could trade them in for money off the next purchase but I just can't be bothered with all the hassle anymore.

Hoping I'm not alone in this.

Caporegime
Yes, thanks to Steam and PS+ on PS3, my entire PS4 collection is digital. Nearly £600 worth, nothing bought for more than £25 though. I always wait for a sale.

I only feel I've "wasted" a tenner or so when I bought Wasteland 2 and not really played it. Everything else I've had my money's worth from.

Soldato
I only buy "arcade" games digitally and AAA games when they're on offer digitally.
I point blank refuse to shell out £15-20 more for a game when I can't sell it or trade it when I'm done with it. It makes no sense to me.

Soldato
I don't buy many digital games as most of them are overpriced and you can't sell the game once your bored of it.

Last edited:
Caporegime
What do you resellers do if you want to replay something later on down the line though? I used to do this for Xbox 360 but I always found I wanted to play things after I no longer had the disc, e.g. playing Mass Effect 1 + 2 again when 3 came out.

Soldato
I'm happy to buy most things digitally for my PS4 and PC but not on my Wii U and 3DS, I tend to go for actual physical copies as Nintendo link to a specific console and not your account which these days is ridiculous.

Soldato
Not really, mostly just games that are digital-only anyway. I prefer having the physical copy and it's almost always cheaper, plus I'm less inclined to 'forget' I own it if it's there whereas I've got various digital games I've yet to bother with.

Soldato
Does anyone else find they're buying a lot more digitally this generation?
I think with me it's just down to being too lazy to walk across the room and swap out the discs.

It's not as if we have a massive front room that requires an expedition to cross :p

I just bought the last of us remastered in the ps4 weekly sale and I already have the physical version. When I tried explaining to Mrs. Simi she just rolled her eyes and called me mad :eek:

Sales do give very good value but is buying games digitally that you already have going a bit far?

In the last gen I always bought discs because I knew that if they were one-shots then I could trade them in for money off the next purchase but I just can't be bothered with all the hassle anymore.

Hoping I'm not alone in this.

I'm buying as much as possible digitally, much more convenient. I just wish cdkeys had better prices like it does for PC games.

I do however collect some Ltd/Special Edition games.

Soldato
I rarely "buy" anything digitally

I wrote it like that because I have techincally bought expansion packs from the PS Store for DriveClub....but only when they have been free

Paying enough for the game to start with, without paying extra 3-6 or what ever months down the line.

( I am probably one of the few who dont buy CD's /music or films digitally either and always buy physical copies)

Associate
I'm happy to buy most things digitally for my PS4 and PC but not on my Wii U and 3DS, I tend to go for actual physical copies as Nintendo link to a specific console and not your account which these days is ridiculous.

I'm exactly the same. Digital only on PS4 but physical on 3DS and Wii U because of the downloads being linked to your console which is just a joke in this day and age.

Soldato
OP
I don't buy many digital games as most of them are overpriced and you can't sell the game once your bored of it.

That's exactly how I used to think but I remember last gen I traded in some games and then regretted it so ended up buying them again. Digital prices for brand new releases are quite expensive but most of them do go on sale quite quickly so I'm finding it's not as expensive as I thought.

PSN have been having some decent sales lately which has made me buy a lot more from them and even though I can't resell those games, I'll always have them to go back to if I keep hold of the console.

Associate
I think it's a waste of money. If I sell a game and decide later on I want to play it again, I will just buy it. Most likely I will still be better off than someone who payed an inflated price in the first place for a digital copy.

Taking Mass Effect 1 as an example, as it's already been mentioned. Buy it physical for £40, complete it, sell it 2 months later for £25. 2 years later you want to play it again, well good news because it's now only £3 preowned. So in effect you've only payed £18.

It's exactly what 'the man' wants you to do. They don't make any money from second hand games.

Last edited:
Soldato
I am almost exclusively digital now, I'm with you man, no time to faf around changing discs. I try to wait until games are on sale as you can't sell them or trade them in now. I also buy discounted Xbox codes to make it cheaper still.

Back
Top Bottom