Anyone heard a recent HD800?

Associate
So I've had my HD800 for a bit and I've noticed that the 6khz peak doesn't seem as rowdy. They are the newer black box like all the Senns. I had a old model before 2012(I think) for a while and it was piercing! It's still a bit present but never comes across as over the top, rough like I remember :confused: Some sounds are a bit off compared to the 650 like the mids don't transition into into treble as smoothly, reminds of the 65th Annie but without the AKG brittleness.

I had some extra warm tubes just in case but I don't need them, the Mojo runs them fine and the peak isn't too bad. I can tell it's there but it doesn't seem like an ice pick like before. Could I be finally becoming a man and losing my sensitivity :cool:

I don't think Senn have made any changes but would be curious to see if other people have a less mental peak?

Soldato
I've got newish HD800s [s/n 40xxx] and do find myself a bit bemused when I read that someone else's HD800s sliced their timpanic membrane to ribbons.

Yeah, there's a bit of a presence peak, but it's only really noticeable to me when I bypass the Sonarworks plugin that flattens the FR curve. Even then, it's not as wince-worthy as, say, my old DT-880s. Or my Dunu 2000DJs, come to that [well, before I tamed them with comply tips].

While I may have mid-forties hearing, I can still hear a difference when I add some 16k+ 'air' to a track I'm mixing. So I'm ruling natural ageing out, before rids suggests it :p

Maybe there's something in the 'two noticeably different batches' theory. I don't think I'll ever get my hands on an early pair to put it to the test, though, unfortunately.

Associate
OP
The 2012 pair was really annoying to listen to for anything other than games. This pair will irritate my ears after listening but doesn't exactly annoy me anymore. I still find them not as musical and engaging in certain tracks but their vocal reproduction is very good.

I listen to the 800's a lot lower in volume than say my LCD-2 or 650 so that will help a lot but at higher volumes I only get some ear irritation after. I'm more sensitive to upper mid peaks found in the AKG headphones, they really affect vocals for me.

Back
Top Bottom