Arma 3: Exile

Soldato
This doesn’t have its own dedicated thread so thought I’d stick (New) one up. :p

It has made some MASSIVE steps forward and continues to add and add content all the time!

Sure Most of you have seen Frankie1080p videos, they’re good but all of them are completely staged. But the game play its self is not far from the final product.

There are two notable differences tho. Some servers have zombies, others don’t. Coming from a background of vanilla Dayz, I would like to play a zombie survival game, however the Z’d in general don’t really add fear, just annoyance when doing PvP. Eventually down the line, if the Z’d are more prone to Hoards, random spawns and generally more how do you say “intelligent” then I’d be tempted. But that’s for a different time…

What is Exile:

The Arma 3 mod, Exile, is an interesting venture into the survival genre. Featuring resource gathering, missions, and base building, there's a lot to do in Exile. There are lots of servers to choose from, and many will feature different maps and additional mods for those who get tired of the basics.

Just take a look at www.exilemod.com/wiki So much to do

* Construction & Territories
* Clans and Family
* Crafting
* Events, Missions Ai’s
* Looting PvP & Stats
* Weather/Times
* Different maps

Base Building:

Base Raiding:

Its hard to pin point the game play, because its all different... You can be simply doing a loot run and come across some with a top end vehicle and throw everything you've got at it.... Or you could be attacking a base going for a mission
(Skip to 6.30min, bit boring to start with.)

Or if you want old school Dayz/exile:

Soldato
OP
Put in a few hundred hours on Exile Tanoa since it was released, love it, mostly play on EXO servers.

EDIT: What was wrong with your old thread - https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18690084

Problem with that thread it goes on about Dayz Exile, which is imo a completely different entity. Nice fresh new thread is needed, considering its been developed so much.

We played on EXO when the servers first came out, I was first to post on their forums I think haha. Could see they were going to explode. Problem I find now is the server is beyond hard. Don't get me wrong I don't want a Exile: Bambi island adventure, but I'm not keen on the fact you need to travel back and fore to deposit cash. Also.... Not naming any names Cough* Jimlad haha, he said and I quote, "Missions in the day, PvP in the evening"... So it got blinking annoying doing a mission for JimLad and his crew to run us over when we completed every mission... SCREW JIMLAD haha.

I mainly play on the GOAT server, its got Ni Arms, CUP weapons and CUP terrain (I think).... Really good in fairness.

Do i need to buy Apex for this?

To play on Tanoa yes, if not no you're ok. :D.

I'm happy to put money in to Bohemia as they're one of few gaming companies who allow the community to mod the game to suit needs, instead of milking the game (EA/CoD).

Soldato
OP
What server you playing on ? Messaged you via trust, no reply as yet.

Thanks

Replied today mate!

"NEW DAYZ - Dayz Arma 3 Exile mod (How standalone should have been) ". Completely different game now.

I don't see the problem considering the thread is a year old and the mod is now completely different. Better to have a more streamlined more relevant thread

Soldato
The EXO servers were good for a while, but then the shift to physical cash...their Chernarus server is now dead. Lots of players, but no where near the interaction there used to be, I'm assuming due to the other server(s) being created?

Soldato
OP
The EXO servers were good for a while, but then the shift to physical cash...their Chernarus server is now dead. Lots of players, but no where near the interaction there used to be, I'm assuming due to the other server(s) being created?

I left EXO servers because the community decided to vote that safe zones wouldn't have lockers (aka you couldn't store money in the bank).... So basically you had to run to sell your stuff at a trader zones, then go and find a a random banks (lockers) in barns, which scream out for campers and just overall adds a nuisance for the casual gamers. Great for the hardcore long standing players, but new player progression is all but impossible.

I prefer physical cash as it makes it more worth while killing someone, but not having to cart stuff earned to be sold then cart the money else where!

I only play on the GOAT servers, they're pretty god damn good to be honest!

Soldato
Been considering getting this as I've been playing Battle Royale mod for Arma 3 which is fun, albeit very hard (would be like a noob jumping into CS now!)

Although Frankies videos are generally scripted, there are situations that are completely random. I quite like watching Sadaplays on Twitch, I know he's not the best Exile player but he does seem to play with a solid team which does make for good viewing.

I'll wait for Steam sale to see about this.

Slightly off topic but has anyone been following development of Player Unknown's Battle Grounds? He's the mod behind Battle Royale for Arma 2 and 3 and H1Z1. Although it’s a last man standing style game I have no doubt there will be an Exile style mod out for it. The promising thing is it’s based on the Unreal 4 engine and although no game will ever be perfect, it’s got to be better than having a game when the developer of Arma 3 has said it refuses to resolve the tall grass sink hit box issue - Bohemia seems to think it’s ok to have a ‘real war shooter’ with a bug that stops people from accurately shooting! Also it won’t have the same types of issues that has plagued DayZ standalone so for me this is really promising stuff.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Been considering getting this as I've been playing Battle Royale mod for Arma 3 which is fun, albeit very hard (would be like a noob jumping into CS now!)

Although Frankies videos are generally scripted, there are situations that are completely random. I quite like watching Sadaplays on Twitch, I know he's not the best Exile player but he does seem to play with a solid team which does make for good viewing.

Slightly off topic but has anyone been following development of Player Unknown's Battle Grounds? He's the mod behind Battle Royale for Arma 2 and 3 and H1Z1. Although it’s a last man standing style game I have no doubt there will be an Exile style mod out for it. The promising thing is it’s based on the Unreal 4 engine and although no game will ever be perfect, it’s got to be better than having a game when the developer of Arma 3 has said it refuses to resolve the tall grass sink hit box issue - Bohemia seems to think it’s ok to have a ‘real war shooter’ with a bug that stops people from accurately shooting! Also it won’t have the same types of issues that has plagued DayZ standalone so for me this is really promising stuff.

If you even fancy it, I'm trying to build up a few guys to game with on Exile. Got a few but their work pattern is all over the shop and I work mon to fri so usually on my own!

As for the second point, no I've not seen what unknown has been doing... Will take a look. I'm gonna get shot in the face for this, but I enjoyed WARz for its simplicity.... Will keep an eye out.

Caporegime

generally any of the big youtubers/twitch players for arma mods are mainly in league with server admins get given gear and such. doesnt mean the material they make is bad but like you say scripted.

unreal 4 engine while many like it often has huge performance hogs and low fps.i personally dont like many things in it and for huge player games mp not really good.

bit like squad ace idea game performance is terrible.which is a shame as lots of potential.

Soldato
What's this about - got any links?

These two videos are made by a great Battle Royale streamer called VissGames. The first video thoroughly explains about hitboxes and the second shows the bug.

The videos above are using the Battle Royale (BR) Firing range scenario under the Arma 3 Workshop - the issue is the same in ALL Arma 3 games/mods and not exclusive to BR.

Another BR streamer, Break71 asked Bohemia about the issue and you can see from the following response posted on the Arma 3 Dev blog, there is little (no) chance this will be resolved. Source

Arma 3 Dev Team said:
"There have been several reports from the community describing an issue with character hit points in relation to the distance to players. While the issue itself has been present for quite some time (even in previous titles), it is not something we can easily fix due to technical limitations. Petr Kolá?, the Project Lead of Arma 3, adds more details: "Some of you might have noticed a strange behavior of soldiers sinking to the ground in the distance. This tech has been with us for ages, actually even in Arma 2, but it rose a discussion recently about the purpose. If we go literally deeper, the effect is used to simulate higher grass that is not rendered on distance and some sort of camouflage the grass provides to soldiers. How does it affect the character in game? The change is just a visual one from observer point of view, there is actually no part of the character in terrain, and that goes even for the geometries. As a result, there is a small difference between the actual hit points position and where it seems they are. Should we choose a different approach, there would be actually more issues - moving the geometries into terrain would drive the game physics crazy and rendering grass in high distances is something we were investigating without any reasonable outcome."

Just to emphasise, this isn't a Battle Royale issue, it's a bug with the Arma 3 engine itself and as Bohemia itself states.

Edited to add - here's a link to Player Unknown's Battle Grounds - looks pretty nice, even taking into account it's mostly Alpha with an abundance of place holders at the moment.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom