Help setting up Kodi so I can play movies from my HTPC?

Soldato
Really struggling with this!

My HTPC is downstairs with all my movies on various drives... I have clicked on all the options seen in the picture and nothing finds my HTPC on my network... Both my Nvidia shield and HTPC are connected via Ethernet.

I have right clicked and shared a hard drive on my HTPC as a test and I just can't view it.

Is there some free easy to run software for dummies!! For sharing what I want or can you advise?

I notice there is a Add network option where I can manually add info but not sure what needs to go in :(

Thanks so so much!! I'm off to drink a bottle of Rum!

Just to be clear.
My Nvidia shield is in my loft connected to my projector and my HTPC is downstairs :)

Soldato
OP
Thanks guys..... OK!

After tinkering for hours!! I have noticed that I can only views folders that once right clicked and choosing users, everyone..... The ones that then display "read and write" show up in SMP. Once I set it up with my IP address!.

But!!!,,,,,, And this is where I'm completely lost!!! The folders after doing the above!.... Only display, "owner" and there is no option below it for read and write!!.

I have tried for 6 hours today!!!! Just cant seem to get certain folders on my drive pool to display read and write and show on my display.

Any ideas why?.

All folders are on the same drive pool.

Movies 1
Movies 2
Movies 3

Movies 3 once sharing displays read and write!..... But the other two don't show up at all! And seemed to be locked to "owner"!

??????

Windows 8.1

Last edited:
Soldato
Not sure if this is common practice, but if I were you I'd make a new user specifically to give read access on these shares to. That way your files are a bit protected.

So make the user, then as well as Owner which will obviously get read/write, add your streaming user with read permission.

Soldato
OP
Plex doesn't decide full HD audio like DTS.

I will try creating a new user.

It does ask me for a username and password by the way... Any idea what this would be? As I don't remember creating any on my HTPC

Thanks all

Soldato
Plex doesn't decide full HD audio like DTS.

I will try creating a new user.

It does ask me for a username and password by the way... Any idea what this would be? As I don't remember creating any on my HTPC

Thanks all

Are you sure, I use Plex all the time to stream a MKV file with DTS audio to a tablet. It's able to transcode the audio.

If you do go down the Plex route use OpenPHT for the Windows client as development has ended for the PlexHT Windows client. A recent server release broke the progress and watch history.

Soldato
I found this

TrueHD and 24/25hz support won't be until the 3.2 update due for release this summer. If you review some of the Plex on Shield threads, you'll see the existing issues and workarounds.
Review the existing threads for detailed posts on 24hz support.
DTS-HD passthrough exists now. TrueHD and Atmos will be supported in the 3.2 update.
The Shield TV has support for full RGB range, but there are no settings in Plex for color.

Soldato
I put all my content into one directory then split into sub directories for movies, etc. I had issues in the past sharing folders but I mapped my shared directory to a network drive and it either showed up under NFS or SMB with no bother.

Back
Top Bottom