Google October 4th Event

Soldato
They have used amoled, Just not samoled.

Ha check the edit I made while you were posting,:o the reviewer I was watching mentioned it just as I posted lol I couldn't believe my ears.

The speed and camera might tempt me but it'll be a huge battle to get me away from Samsung and spending more money, I truly expect the s8 camera to be epic too, I'm in no rush.

Soldato
Google is doing an Apple, and pricing their phones at a level that they think the market can bear. As for whether the market can or not, I'm not sure.

I was very tempted to switch from a Note 2 to an iPhone 7 Plus, but the 128 GB version is over $800, so I waited to see what the Pixel prices would look like. It turns out that they're much of a muchness.

I haven't checked across the board but the XL model with 128GB is exactly the same prices as the iPhone 7+ 128GB: £819.

Permabanned
@sugnid
"Ultimately, if this was £150/200 cheaper, everyone would have had a pre order in for it. So it's only a price issue that is causing the uproar here."

keep in mind that component pricing in based in US dollars and the Pound has weakened 15% against the Dollar since June. So much of the increase is simply reflecting the weakness of the Pound. Apple and Google report results in US Dollars and hence they will always seek to pass on the cost of the exchange rate weakness on to the consumer.

Soldato
I guess my Nexus 4 will stay in use for another few years. I don't give much of a toss about smartphones as it is, but it's nice as a satnav and for the very occasional app that I put on there. As long as Cyanogenmod keep doing roms for it, and as long as the phone keeps working, I shall be sticking to it. Certainly not paying Apple prices for ... a .... phone.

:p

Soldato
Most people who can break the £550/600 barrier when purchasing a phone can easily cope with the £700/800 price, there are plenty of pretty good Chinese phones for sub £350 now even some reputed good phones from earlier in the year for sub £200.

If they do easy credit the prospect of a very good phone and a decent simo for what the networks charge for a middling phone and a mediocre package will tempt many imho.

Soldato
This will be a complete flop.

Nexus phones have generally been bought off contract.

These will need to do well on contracts, and so need to appeal to a mainstream market dominated by Apple and Samsung.

The massive bezels put me off, but realistically I only just got an S7 in March, so was never going to get the Pixel.

D3K

D3K

Soldato
I've been out of the loop with the last few gens of phones, and nothing about this pixel jumps out at me as amazing. Must be even harder you people in the know to see justification.

Crazy.

Soldato
I am a long time iPhone user and this is pretty much what I wanted the iPhone 7 to be, 5" OLED screen, bigger battery and fast charging. I ended up cancelling my iPhone 7 order and this might be the phone to take its place, I will wait for some reviews and user feedback but first impressions are its a nice phone.

Soldato
Almost all the components used can be seen in phones around $400 now, charging almost 2x that is extracting the urine....they then go on to rub salt into the wounds by having a free VR headset for USA while we get stuck with 3 months free music.

Soldato
Yeah I don't think this phone will be a flop, its just not for a lot of the readers here. Google wants to take on the iPhone now, not have a cheap developer phone. If they released a $400 phone it will just be another cheap android device. Instead we have a really well built phone, a good support ecosystem (at least in the US were the iPhone is best), solid camera from what I've seen this far, a nice amount of extra feature, a decent enough design for most (some will complain about the chin but again doesn't hurt the iPhone). On top of the its the best software experience, and from what I've seen its stupidly fast.

Even if the same exact phone costed less it would seem cheaper too be people, "I could get an iPhone or this cheaper android phone". Review will tell but if they tick of a lot of the boxes that most phones hit and market it well enough I think it will completely eclipse anything a Nexus phone has done. For that to happen they had to hurt their core user base which sucks but its just business.

I'm mostly annoyed that so many thing are locked down to the US only, but again it makes sense as its the biggest iPhone market. What really would **** me off is if the price drops, if its going to cost me a lot now it better remain a lot forever as to keep the value of the phone if it does ever sell well.

Soldato
I hope the OEMs and Chinese Manufacturers capitalise on Google's greed and kick their behind.

I would rather spend my hard earned cash on a Iphone 7 than the Pixel phone and these sentiments are from a long term Android user since the original T Mobile HTC G1 phone.

Soldato
Why are they taking the mick with their pricing? Premium components aren't cheap.

Again, it just proves my point that everyone wants (or expected) Google to subsidise the phones price and now they aren't, you're all jumping ship.

There is absolutely nothing at all that justifies that price. The bill of materials will be tiny relative to the cost. There is nothing special about it at all.

Google also don't subsidise the cost of handsets when buying sim free. It simply does not cost hundreds of pounds to produce mobile phones.

You're coming off as such a Google apologist.

Permabanned
Lol at the google pixel phone... I can already see multiple patent claims on the horizon from Apple... that looks so much like a 6/65/7 it's unreal :s

In my opinion... useful/ergonomic form factor is not something you should be able to patent... otherwise you could get some cretin to claim patent breach on another human just because they have arms, legs and their head is roughly the same size and happens to be on their shoulders...

v0n

v0n

Soldato
There is absolutely nothing at all that justifies that price.

Literally nothing. No waterproofing of any kind to speak of, no new camera (in fact it looks a lot like the Nexus 6p unit?), no wireless charging, not even stereo speakers, seriously... to say this unit doesn't hold any edge over competition would be an understatement. It barely just holds a candle to £300 Motorola.

Associate
I think on the face of it, it looks like a nice phone. Stock android is usually good for general performance compared to some other manufactures idea for their own bloated, sluggish, sometimes buggy, versions of android. Someone on this thread said this has a class leading camera but I'll wait for full reviews before I believe that. My main problem is that, the more I use android, the less reasons I have to stick with it. Customization was a big draw once but honestly, now I've been using the android eco system for a long time, I just want something that works and that doesn't get bogged down over time with performance issues. But if I did want another phone running android, the lack of an SD card on this hurts. I don't like paying a lot more money for extra storage when it's just going to be filled with music and photos. TBH I don't know why some android manufactures want to emmulate apple and their storage model because they're in danger IMO (for those of us who don't care about customization) of just creating a crappier version of the iphone.

Last edited:
Soldato
Literally nothing. No waterproofing of any kind to speak of, no new camera (in fact it looks a lot like the Nexus 6p unit?), no wireless charging, not even stereo speakers, seriously... to say this unit doesn't hold any edge over competition would be an understatement. It barely just holds a candle to £300 Motorola.

Well said. I totally agree with your views.

Associate
Nearly double the price than my 6P from last year, for what? If anything it's a downgrade, and what has really ****ed me off is that the 6P is getting hardly any of the new features that make the Pixel phone unique, that's a 1 year phone that is being deprecated. WHy would I buy the PIxel when 1 year from now Google bring out the GooglePhoneblah and deprecate the 1 year old Pixel phones too?

If this is how they are trying to compete with the iPhone, they have made a total arse of it. Fair enough charge the same price as the iPhone, but to have no waterproofing, a beta Siri clone, no iMessage (Allo is a joke), along with Android OS Wakelocks since Kitkat they are failing completely. Do they really think people who buy iPhones are so unintelligent that they won't think of any of this?

3rd Gen Nexus owner here and Google have just killed it completely, thank god for XDA that someone will hack the Pixel exclusives straight onto the 6p. If anything they have made me want to ditch Android and go back to Apple.

Back
Top Bottom