Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Associate
I've been offered the following when I said I wanted to leave as prices seem to keep going up:
100MB only: £21
200 gamer only: £36

I'm also awaiting a call back from their business team as apparently they can offer upload speeds far greater than 20MB. I don't mind paying more for a decent upload so will report back with that they say.

Soldato
What's the idiots guide for haggling with VM then? As I said before in this thread I've only been with them for 4 months so I'm really not impressed with the price rise. I phoned them yesterday and the guy offered me £3 off for 6 months but I said I'll think about it and call back.

I'm on Big Easy, 50mb, £32.99 for first 12 months, £41.99 after.

Which option do I go with on the phone? Who's best to talk to? I'm guessing I need to call them again and threaten to leave.

Soldato
just had disagreement about broadband only as i said i dont pay line rental as i am broadband only 50mb but this guy thinks we do still pay line rental but dont get a phone so i was wondering what our £32 a month actually pays for any ideas where the money goes. Will be leaving virgin soon because of price has been put up three times now and we can no longer afford broadband in this country. Suppose it saves me buying any news pc parts as well.

Man of Honour
What's the idiots guide for haggling with VM then? As I said before in this thread I've only been with them for 4 months so I'm really not impressed with the price rise. I phoned them yesterday and the guy offered me £3 off for 6 months but I said I'll think about it and call back.

I'm on Big Easy, 50mb, £32.99 for first 12 months, £41.99 after.

Which option do I go with on the phone? Who's best to talk to? I'm guessing I need to call them again and threaten to leave.

Yep tell them you want to speak to cancellations they're the ones who can offer the decent deals rather than just a quid or 2.

Soldato
Just been offered 150mb for £25 a month and free Superhub 3, Im not sure if i should take it, has anyone been offered anything better ?

The issue i have is i keep getting contradicting info, the sign up email say i will be paying £37 a month for 100mb, one person told me i would be getting 200 vivid another has told me i would get 150mb and 2nd person i spoke to said they dont do 150mb anymore.

I cant see anything in writing yet to confirm.

2nd issue is during my last contact term ive had a lot of lag issues even if i was on 100mb.

Permabanned
Looks like it depends on your tier of connection, especially in high contention areas of their network.

Our neighbors are on the 100mbit service and we were using their wifi for a week or so while we waited for an engineer visit for our own to be installed. It was horrible... especially at peak time, even when they weren't using it and the signal strength was good for the wifi. So it wasn't that... but it would be barely usable at peak times.

Our 300mbit... the ping maybe goes up and few ms at peak hours... but it still operates and full speed and the difference is indistinguishable.

Soldato
i've been on the basic 50 meg package for a few months now which has been fine. However, the last couple of days, my upload speed has dropped a lot. Ive been toying with upgrading for a while now but would like to know with confidence whether going to the 200meg 'gamer' service or even the 300meg homeworks would be a wise move. I'm in NW london and have had virgin connections around this area for many years and never had trouble.

Associate
Virgin told me that with the new 12 month contract I would be upgraded to 150MB when it becomes available.

Rang yesterday and they said that is not the case and that I would be on 100MB throughout the deal.

Soldato
Virgin told me that with the new 12 month contract I would be upgraded to 150MB when it becomes available.

Rang yesterday and they said that is not the case and that I would be on 100MB throughout the deal.

This is why i canceled for the 2nd time, the contract they sent me was £15 more then agreed with extra charges and a lower package then agreed, all the info i was given was contradicting and they could not give me anything in writing.

Permabanned
i've been on the basic 50 meg package for a few months now which has been fine. However, the last couple of days, my upload speed has dropped a lot. Ive been toying with upgrading for a while now but would like to know with confidence whether going to the 200meg 'gamer' service or even the 300meg homeworks would be a wise move. I'm in NW london and have had virgin connections around this area for many years and never had trouble.

Depends on the cause of your current drop in upload speed. If the problem is on their end there's a good chance a higher tier wouldn't improve it.

Soldato
If you're not using the XL TV, why not just down grade this and see what price they give you?

Tried but the price given to me the first time was not worth doing.

Phoned cancellations and let them know I'd found a better deal with BT and would like to either leave or get a downgraded package that's closer to the price of BT.

Back to M TV, 50mb, M phone. £34/month and free netflix for 6 months (girlfriend currently pays monthly for it).

Soldato
Just been offered 150mb for £25 a month and free Superhub 3, Im not sure if i should take it, has anyone been offered anything better ?

The issue i have is i keep getting contradicting info, the sign up email say i will be paying £37 a month for 100mb, one person told me i would be getting 200 vivid another has told me i would get 150mb and 2nd person i spoke to said they dont do 150mb anymore.

I cant see anything in writing yet to confirm.

2nd issue is during my last contact term ive had a lot of lag issues even if i was on 100mb.

I'm getting 200mb with evening and weekend phone for £27 a month all in.

Soldato
Depends on the cause of your current drop in upload speed. If the problem is on their end there's a good chance a higher tier wouldn't improve it.

i'm wondering if virgin are throttling me for having uploaded a lot (about 600gigs) to amazon cloud. Even though i wasn't doing it at full speed. I've never had upload speed problems before but all of a sudden for the last 3 days my upload is at 3mbit compared to the usual 10mbit.

Download speed and ping are still as they should be...

edit: if i just bit the bullet and went for a homeworks+ connection, would they assure a better level of upload?

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone who's cancelled in the last week or so have you had anything through from Virgin regarding cancelling?

I've not heard from them since I rang up, not sure if I'm supposed to get a email/letter now or once the 30 days are up.

I have canceled in the last week but ive had nothing.

Back
Top Bottom