BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Caporegime
If there are no ports available unless someone moves house or disconnects/changes back to DSL then it's not something that can easily be fixed in a few days.

Soldato
Has anyone been charged £31 to cancel their phone line after moving house?

I've just called BT to cancel my phone line + Infinity in November, and he says that OpenReach charge them £31 to send an engineer out to disconnect the line. I've never heard of that before.

EDIT: I've just received the confirmation email that states the following:

What you'll pay
You'll need to pay £31.00 for stopping your BT services. This includes:

Charge for stopping your broadband - You'll need to pay about £31.00 for stopping your broadband. You can find out more about this at bt.com/ceasecharge

*******s :(

Last edited:
Soldato
It's normal.

If you move the broadband from the old house to the new house (rather than starting from scratch at the new house with a new connection) then there shouldn't be a charge.

Soldato
It's normal.

If you move the broadband from the old house to the new house (rather than starting from scratch at the new house with a new connection) then there shouldn't be a charge.

We took out a new package in my girlfriend's name at the new house because of the ~£100 MasterCard deal and £10/month Infinity 1. It'll probably still work out cheaper than moving the service.

Soldato
Ok 6 months after the rest of my village was fiber enabled and 6 weeks after me finally getting though to openreach they have decided that my line is actually fiber compatible.

My house showed up as 4 miles away from where it actually is and "out of range" where in reality i can hit the cabinet with a rock from my office window.

The fractured nature of telecoms in the UK makes everything so hard.

Activation date is the 21st October so my 3 years in the wilderness of ADSL will be coming to an end with a bit of luck. Still plenty of time for them to **** it up though.

Soldato
Well today BTO were supposed to sort the 'congestion' problem to activate the BB, but still no joy. Will speak to to them tomorrow. I really hope this isn't the start of a long painful process of being messed around :(

Associate
Maybe a silly question, but will there be much difference in speed between Sky fibre (38Mb) and BT Inifinity 1 (52Mb) if they both use the same infrastructure to my house? I know there is the speed differnce I put above, but even living in London, my house isn't in close proximity to the exchange or street cabinet so we never get close to the advertised speed. We had BT Infinity a year ago and the max we were getting was about 20mb down.

Soldato
Maybe a silly question, but will there be much difference in speed between Sky fibre (38Mb) and BT Inifinity 1 (52Mb) if they both use the same infrastructure to my house? I know there is the speed differnce I put above, but even living in London, my house isn't in close proximity to the exchange or street cabinet so we never get close to the advertised speed. We had BT Infinity a year ago and the max we were getting was about 20mb down.

If you were on Sky fibre getting 20mb down, then moving to Infinity wont improve the speed, as that lower speed is dictated by your phone line.

Associate
BT, It's good to talk, as long as it isn't to their customer support

So an update on my wonderful customer service experience with BT. Arranged an engineer to visit and move master socket for the bargain price of £130. 6pm the day before he was due, someone phoned up to rearrange the visit as it hasn't been booked. Engineer visited 7 Sept, couldn't/wouldn't move master socket, and fitted an extension with a new master socket. Half an hour later, internet died on its arse. Cue many hours of tears, sobbing, pain and torture talking to BT's highly incompetent CS staff. One tells you one thing, another tells you another, and so on. Was told that my homehub was faulty and would need to be replaced, "no it isn't, for a start, I don't use that junk" was my reply to that.

Got another engineer to visit 2 weeks later, he said no problem with wiring, and that some dozy twit either at BT or OR presumed I didn't want fibre, and removed it. "No you're still connected to fibre" I was told by one of the Indians shortly after the engineer left. "Are you sure you had an engineer?" "I don't see one as being booked to visit?" are some of the highlights from the painful experience.

Complained, was told by phone on Wednesday 21 Sept it would be re-connected two days later on the Friday, had an email at the same time stating it would be within 3 working days, whilst the new order on our account stated it would be done on the 3 October. This then changed to today, the 5th.

Emma Franklin no longer works for BT Retail, couldn't help, so in the end just banged off an email to Gavin Patterson, CEO of BT. (Thanks to Balb0wa) ;). Sure enough, phone call back from someone at Executive Level Complaints. Couldn't move the reconnect further forward than today, but has refunded the £130 engineer charge, and reduced our anytime calls addon to £5.50 a month.

BT, quite possibly the worst company I have ever had to deal with.

Last edited:
Soldato
BT CS is really terrible. There seems to be absolutely zero internal communication.

While waiting for my BB to be connected due to cabinet congestion, I've been Googling the issue, and there's just hundreds and hundreds with the same issues with their CS. It's beyond appalling.

Caporegime
I honestly can't say I'm surprised. Their complaints numbers are awful. Not quite on EE's level previously but still the highest at the moment. That's complaints per 100k customers that contact OFCOM.

Broadband-comps-16.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
If you need to talk to a person at BT Retail (consumer) then you've already lost. If you can do the entire transaction online and the systems all fall into place then you won't have a reason to phone them.

Which is not what can be said for Plusnet who are terrible universally, or Virgin Media if you happen to live in a congested area and get told that a fix is only five months away.

Soldato
I've had to deal with BT CS and thought it was fine. No worse than any other CS I've dealt with.

Dial tone on landline was gone & internet lost a huge chunk of speed, but strangley was still working. Phoned BT, openreach came out, stuck something in the socket, went to the box, came back said cable was damaged/broken and they had switched something. Dial tone was back, speed was back.

Other than that issue, which would have happened with any isp I think, I've got no complaints with infinity.

APM

APM

Associate
Thanks for offering some different opinions Caged and Armadillo.

Were you charged for the call out for that repair Armadillo?

I'm with Virgin now and have been for a while but I had a letter form them yesterday telling me the charges are going up £3.49 a month,no explanation why or what the money is to be spent on at all just some blurb harping on about how great they are.

I don't mind if they explain to me why they want to charge me more but to say ,hey we want more money and look how great we are strikes me as taking the urine out of me massively so topcashback and BT look like my best alternative but there are a few things I'm unsure of,such as do BT charge you for a call out etc which isn't totally clear on their pages.

Back
Top Bottom