Mountain Biking

Soldato
Just picked up some Rockshox Pike RCT3 140s for my son's build. We started at Alivio spec, but now we're getting the XT stuff in.

We've so far got the frame, BB and headset through. Waiting on carbon handlebars, stem and seatpost to arrive. We also have quick release seat post mount on the way, some XT shifters and XT crank. I think I'm enjoying it more than him. :p

Soldato
My MTB is all SLX gear which I've been really happy with, XT stuff is obviously a notch above. Pike is the dogs danglies, super capable, there's nowhere to go beyond the Pike - it should be everything you'll ever need.

Soldato
Recommended budget flat pedals? I've just picked up an old Sunn BMIX for dicking around on pump tracks etc and the wellgos it has don't grip at all. Ride SPD on my XC bike, so need something that feels a bit more confident!

Soldato
Whats your idea of budget? to me budget would be a set of DMR V12s, or Shimano Saint flats, both just short of £40. would be the cheapest i'd go for decent performing flats.

don't want to spend too much on this particular bike, it only cost me a ton.

Might just pick something up at one of the local bike jumbles

Soldato
I havent seen half inch pedals on a bmx in over 15 years? must be old? no bmx pedals you can buy now (that are any good) will fit that

it was made in about 1998. Has 1-piece cranks.

rr1XIZu.jpg

old school and a massive giggle. I've tried a few of them friends have had down the years. always slightly wanted one. Bought on a whim.

Last edited:
Soldato
I can't decide what to do with my current mountain bike. I originally got a Scott Scale 760 (27.5") a few years back which is a 100mm travel hardtail which is an XC style frame. Slowly over the time I have done the following:

-Changed tyres to 2.4" Conti MK2 (front) and 2.35" Nobby Nic (rear).
-Fitted 125mm Reverb dropper.
-Swapped bars from stock 700mm to ~750mm and stem from 90mm to 50mm.
-Swapped brakes from M395's to SLX.

I have never felt that confident on the descents with it and I do tend to crash. :p I am wanting to get something easier to handle when pointing downhill. I am not too worried about uphill efficiency as I am a good amount quicker than all my mates up them so I think they would quite like me to be a little slower up them!

So do I either try a slacker steel hardtail or do I swap to a full suspension? The bike has an XC30 air fork which can be modded to be 120mm travel. I mainly do red level trails in England and Wales with a few rides a year in the peak district.

Caporegime
I can't decide what to do with my current mountain bike. I originally got a Scott Scale 760 (27.5") a few years back which is a 100mm travel hardtail which is an XC style frame. Slowly over the time I have done the following:

-Changed tyres to 2.4" Conti MK2 (front) and 2.35" Nobby Nic (rear).
-Fitted 125mm Reverb dropper.
-Swapped bars from stock 700mm to ~750mm and stem from 90mm to 50mm.
-Swapped brakes from M395's to SLX.

I have never felt that confident on the descents with it and I do tend to crash. :p I am wanting to get something easier to handle when pointing downhill. I am not too worried about uphill efficiency as I am a good amount quicker than all my mates up them so I think they would quite like me to be a little slower up them!

So do I either try a slacker steel hardtail or do I swap to a full suspension? The bike has an XC30 air fork which can be modded to be 120mm travel. I mainly do red level trails in England and Wales with a few rides a year in the peak district.

Got a budget? Could always up the travel, but it won't change things drastically anyway.

with respect even on a £7000 bike you will still crash if you aren't riding correctly :)

Some nice forward geo bikes will certainly help though, espically when it comes to confidence!

Back
Top Bottom