Why does almost everybody seem to hate Comic Sans?

Soldato
I am prompted to ask this by the other fonts thread.

I have truly dreadful handwriting, It is something I never got the hang of (Nor spelling either) and I am really quite ashamed to let anybody see it.

I even WP "Personal" communications, And I dislike sending cards because my hand looks like a spider has puked on the page and then crawled off to die!

I like Comic because if I could write like that, I would actually be very happy, To me, it has a sort of personal feel, like I could have written it by hand.

Is that why so many people seem to hate it, on the grounds that it is somehow "Unprofessional" ?

(Serious question, By the way. I really would like to know)

Soldato
Because its cartoony, overused and unprofessional looking?

What i dont get is people who insist on times new roman, seriously its horrific to try and read especially when its small, and tbh unless your going for a 1920's theme it has no place in the computer era.

Soldato
OP
Because its cartoony, overused and unprofessional looking?

I suppose that is sort of my reasons for using it.

It is its informality (Is that a word? :p ) that I find attractive. Remember, this is from the POV of somebody for whom "Handwriting" is not an option.

When I am writing to a friend, I do not want it to look like a business letter,

When I am sending a bill to a customer, i do not want it to look like a final demand.

What I don't get is people who insist on times new roman, seriously its horrific to try and read especially when its small, and tbh unless your going for a 1920's theme it has no place in the computer era.

I will use TNR for my "chaser" letters if the bills are not paid on time! ;) :p

Soldato
OP
Ahh yes, good ol' Internet Exploder.

MNgHMsO.jpg

Crikey!:eek: It gets that bad!:eek:

I confess to, on occasion, inadvertently DL'ing crapware which I have then had to spend a while getting rid of.

(Hint, Do not DL stuff when drunk!, See also e-bay! :D )

But I have never seen anything remotely like that! Where would you even start??

Soldato
I suppose that is sort of my reasons for using it.

It is its informality (Is that a word? :p ) that I find attractive. Remember, this is from the POV of somebody for whom "Handwriting" is not an option.

When I am writing to a friend, I do not want it to look like a business letter,

When I am sending a bill to a customer, i do not want it to look like a final demand.

I will use TNR for my "chaser" letters if the bills are not paid on time! ;) :p

Well you asked why peopke dont like it, and thats why i dont like it.

You have a valid point about informal letters, but tbh i'd stick with calibri or whatever the default font in word is called these days (basically arial), but thats probably because i dont write many social letters and wouldnt care enough to personalise them.

Back
Top Bottom