08 530d service due soon, particle filter came up?

Soldato
Recently after driving for about 15 minutes the i drive comes up saying to change the particle filter (or something like that) says its safe to drive on but may experiance a loss in performance

Im not too clued up on all this stuff, but it goes when the car is off but with a new journey comes up usually before i reach my destination

What is this? Will it be covered in the upcoming service. A quick google has scared me price wise, especially as i wanted to see the car soonish

74k miles

Man of Honour
DPF? Do you do a lot of short journeys?

Take it onto a motorway/fast A road and boot it for 10/20 miles see if that clears the warning.

Soldato
OP
I do, yea to be honest thats why im thinking of selling as im not benefitting from.a diesel at all, 20 minute drive to work some of which is stop start

Just googled and saw lots about bills over £1000 :O

So does it just sort of need to be pushed through a build up then?

Man of Honour
No, the DPF is not covered by a service and replacement costs are significant - it is supposed to last the life of the car.

Man of Honour
Soldato
If I remember rightly, and its been a while since I had any problems, once the light is on it won't attempt a cleaning cycle until the codes are reset, so "driving it hot", or using an additive, without clearing the codes won't do anything.

Don
If I remember rightly, and its been a while since I had any problems, once the light is on it won't attempt a cleaning cycle until the codes are reset, so "driving it hot", or using an additive, without clearing the codes won't do anything.

Depends - some manufacturers have 2 levels of warning e.g. a yellow dpf symbol that advises to take for a long run at X speed/rpm so that a "normal" regen can occur, and a red warning that requires you to return to dealer for a forced regen.

Soldato
OP

My light isnt on at the start of a journey, tends to be about 10 minutes in, so maybe if im giving to the blast before then?

I shant be getting it serviced at BMW unfortunatly, a local garage i use will be doing it. Just rang and they said nip it round it nmthe morning to be plugged in and see what needs doing. I asked on the phone about the dpf thing and he said they can sort that all at the same time if needs be or check it out atleast

Soldato
Depends - some manufacturers have 2 levels of warning e.g. a yellow dpf symbol that advises to take for a long run at X speed/rpm so that a "normal" regen can occur, and a red warning that requires you to return to dealer for a forced regen.

I'm specifically talking about that gen 5 series, as that's what I have had issues with in the past.

Soldato
My light isnt on at the start of a journey, tends to be about 10 minutes in, so maybe if im giving to the blast before then?

I shant be getting it serviced at BMW unfortunatly, a local garage i use will be doing it. Just rang and they said nip it round it nmthe morning to be plugged in and see what needs doing. I asked on the phone about the dpf thing and he said they can sort that all at the same time if needs be or check it out atleast

I guess its coming up when it tries to do a clean but it doesn't have the desired effect - you can get some DPF cleaning additive that may help in your case then, I think they make the exhaust gasses hotter so it helps burn off all the muck.

Pre-LCI they were relatively easy to remove and then clean off the car, post-LCI you can't really do that. When I had an issue with mine, not long after buying it 2nd hand, the dealer hooked it up to some cleaner machine for a few hours after clearing the codes - that was about 3 years ago or so and it's been fine since (touch wood!)

Soldato
OP
What work have they quoted for?

Will have to confirm when i collect the car later but a "full service" all filters etc, front and rear pads and a terraclean. Not sure what else there was but quoted £750. Will ask else where first but need to weigh up selling for less without the service or somehow pay for it before hand

Soldato
OP
why is a "terraclean" included? it is generally aimed at removing carbon deposits - their dpf "cleaning" looks to be no more or less than a dpf additive and a forced regen.

Sorry the terra clean was a recommendation on top of the service to sort the dpf out, but as you lot have suggested a solid drive may do the trick and i did suggest that, but obviously they want me to take tbe clean

So 750, terraclean was 200 so 550 for the service part, seems a lot to me? Hopefully they they have full details for me when i pick it up and dont charge for assessing the car tday who knows

Soldato
OP
Yea?

I havent a clue so happy to take advise on this.

Also, not that i would, but halfords offer a dpf "deep clean" for £85? Or maybe try one of these off the shelf products

Its just tricky as i want to sell as i cant justify the cost of maintaining such a car and dont need a diesel

Soldato
You don't need to thrash the car as most people seem to think. The ECU is programmed to increase fuel/revs even at a stand still in order for the DPF to be cleaned.

The main part is not to switch off the engine until the cycle is completed.

What sort of driving do you do?

Soldato
OP
You don't need to thrash the car as most people seem to think. The ECU is programmed to increase fuel/revs even at a stand still in order for the DPF to be cleaned.

The main part is not to switch off the engine until the cycle is completed.

What sort of driving do you do?

Recently just short journeys to and from work. Probably 20 minutes tops most of which is 40mph or slow moving traffic, so not ideal.

Will the dpf even attempt to clean once the light waning has appeared? It literally comes on after about 15 mins of the journey each time so its not on when i start up

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom