Plusnet devices disconnecting, will a new router fix this?

Associate
Hi all, I've been with Plusnet for a week now on their fibre plan. Last night I was on a whats app call and it kept disconnecting, I viewed the event log on the router and it confirmed it was all of the devices in the house.

What I would like to know is, would it be worth replacing the router completely and buying a third party one instead?

If so, what would you lot recommend?

Thanks in advance

Soldato
I had one of their routers as it stopped me being a on 12 month contract years ago and I brought a TP-Link that was cheap which fixed it for me. I wasn't exactly disconnecting but it would drop the WI-FI to stupid speeds.

Associate
OP
I had one of their routers as it stopped me being a on 12 month contract years ago and I brought a TP-Link that was cheap which fixed it for me. I wasn't exactly disconnecting but it would drop the WI-FI to stupid speeds.

I've heard the Plusnet routers are completely pants, its just frustrating being disconnected constantly. Maybe it's a line issue butIim hoping it's now and a new router might fix the issue

Soldato
I've got one of the newest ones, it works most of the time, but sometimes drops HTTP for a few mins and can't load any websites, but streaming netflix etc works fine.

Occasionally certain devices cannot get a connection, resetting the router seems to fix this.

So yeh, it's pretty pants. Interested to hear what other people have upgraded to because I fully intend to before long!

Associate
OP
If it's the new plusnet router that looks like a bt homehub in white you'd be better off getting your own router.

That's the exact router that I have, I would like a router with built in modem so I only need one box.

Do you have any suggestions. Finding it difficult to pick one due to seeing bad review on all of them.

I need one with decent signal and one that will give me a decent speed. I can only get 38mb on my street so it would be nice if it would maintain an average speed of around 30-32

Soldato
I'm also interested in this, I have the older Thomson router and the separate Openreach modem, I'm happy to keep the modem but the router is starting to mess about, my wifi signal seems to be a lot weaker than it has been and I get instances where it drops out completely for a few moments and all devices loss wifi.

Associate
I use a Netgear Nighthawk D7000, its a combined modem router. I used it with Sky fibre and now use it with BT fibre. It just works for me and is rock solid stable. Not cheap though.

Associate
OP
If you don't want to use the bridge box (white bt box that goes between your phone socket and router) then you'll need to get any router with a vdsl port, it's that what allows you to plug direct into a router.

I've just bit the bullet and bought it from here. I heard the Asus has a built in modem so I can get rid of my plusnet modem and just plug this into the main socket. Is this incorrect?

Associate
OP
If you don't want to use the bridge box (white bt box that goes between your phone socket and router) then you'll need to get any router with a vdsl port, it's that what allows you to plug direct into a router.

Are you talking about the white modem that BT sometimes supply?

I don't have one of them and never have, that's just the modem but Asus has built in modem so should mean I don't need anything else

Back
Top Bottom