Crashing at windows login??

Associate
hey guys, been having issues the past week with my pc crashing when it gets to windows login with no blue screen etc the pc just shuts off. Every time this happens i turn it back on and it doesnt get past the post screen. Eventually when it does come on and im able to login i get an error message from radeon about wattman and default settings after a system failure etc etc. Did some research and only thing i got was something about windows 10 anniversary updates causing similar issues like this and say update to latest drivers etc which i have done, but why would it shut off even before the post screen as no windows updates are loaded at all by then?

once im actually able to log in my pc runs fine with no issues with my gpu or anything else for that matter.

Any ideas on what could be causing this would be a great help :D

Associate
Hi a Pro will be along shortly, in the meantime you have me.

The most flaky things are PSU, memory and MB

Awesome system test info here by the Admiral:
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18281472

You can reset everything - try reseating memory sticks - it works!

Try mem test http://www.memtest86.com/
One stick then the other
You can test memory in windows

Have you a known working PSU or a PSU tester
Have you got a speaker you can plug into you MB, you can look at the manual and it will give you the BIOS beeps which can help you diagnose. http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

You can also use tools to test your HDD if it is your boot drive
If it is an old MB check the voltage on your cmos battery

Post an update
Best wishes

PS my money is on the PSU

Last edited:
Associate
OP
right first things first : pc specs are as follows

cpu: AMD fx-8350 @4.7
Mother board: asus m5a99x evo v2.0
gpu: amd R9 280x (stock)
mem: 16gb (2x Hyperx KHX1866C10D3/8g)
ssd: samsung 250gb 850evo (boot drive, has windows 10 on)
hdd: ST1000DM003-1CH162 (for films/music/downloads etc)
psu: OCZ ZS series 650

i am typing this after my pc being on for the past 4 hours with no reset etc it just seems very strange as this problem occurs after pc has been off for a good few ours of use e.g over night, then shuts off at the initial same point (windows login) then at before post (4-6 times) before i can get to login, once logged in i can play games, watch films etc as normal for as long as i want with no problems

Last edited:
Associate
Turn off fast startup and give it a go. My mate was facing a similar issue on his AM3+ motherboard and Phenom II X6. PC would shutdown on cold boot before the login screen. Second attempt and it started up fine.

Disabling the fast startup worked for his issue, might help with yours as well. It would also help updating your video drivers to the last version.

Associate
OP
Video drivers are up to date plus this takes like 4-6 resets before i can get past the login screen but will wait till tomorrow and if it happens again i will reset overclock and turn off fast start up to see if it changes things.

im thinking same as jpod with the psu as its the oldest part of the list i put up..... but its not random resets either, its pretty much exactly the same point that it resets every time

Associate
OP
found the problem :D

After it happening again this morning i decided to open the side up and take a look at the motherboard connections etc, re sat the memory. then noticed right before it shuts off the "cpu LED" on the motherboard flashed. littereally then next time i turn the power on i hear the water start pumping on the cpu cooler and then boots straight into windows lol so looks like a new cooler is on my shopping list now

cheers for the advice guys :D

Associate
found the problem :D

After it happening again this morning i decided to open the side up and take a look at the motherboard connections etc, re sat the memory. then noticed right before it shuts off the "cpu LED" on the motherboard flashed. littereally then next time i turn the power on i hear the water start pumping on the cpu cooler and then boots straight into windows lol so looks like a new cooler is on my shopping list now

cheers for the advice guys :D

If it is a AIO from the likes of Corsair, that is very common. On one of the older H100 units I went through 5 through RMA, on an even older H80 model I went through 4 of them too. Make sure you check RMA on whatever it is before buying new.

Associate
OP
its a cooler master seidon 120v ver2.0, but now it seems to be working properly again now lol. I was going to get a new water cooler today but had no issues at all with it so will keep with it for now. I think turning the rad so the pipes are at the bottom has helped aswell

Back
Top Bottom