FPS affectionados - what kit do you use?

Caporegime
Aye aye Arc@css is famous and has a Yourtube channel! I am going to have alooksie.

Yes, I have a channel, but if I'm being honest, it's a 'ten a penny' one - for now. :)

The Doom (2016) video on my channel was recorded at 1440p, and although it's a pretty game anyway, I was still rather pleased with the quality - even when factoring in YouTube's compression.

Last edited:
Soldato
I use my computer. I load the game and play it at the highest settings that my system will run smoothly at 1080.

Exactly.

I always have a chuckle at those that spend ours tweaking settings, messing with drivers, to get the max out of a game.

It makes it no better, if anything, I would say being so concerned over such things would ruin a game because you spend more time looking for faults than enjoying the game.

The only thing I would say is a good sound system or headphones to help immerse you in a game and a wired keyboard and mouse.

My keyboard and mouse have got to be pushing 10 years old now, used every day, nothing fancy. Saitek Eclipse and a logitech G5.

Screen wise, pick any and enjoy playing on it :)

Associate
OP
Yes, I have a channel, but if I'm being honest, it's a 'ten a penny' one - for now. :)

The Doom (2016) video on my channel was recorded at 1440p, and although it's a pretty game anyway, I was still rather pleased with the quality - even when factoring in YouTube's compression.

I liked that tres good. Keep 'em coming.

I like following this guy

Soldato
Dell S2716DG @ 120Hz 2560x1440 with highest settings that can achieve 100fps+.

For things like CS:S (because **** CS:GO) it's all up but no bloom or anything that can reduce visibility.

Input:
Steelseries 6Gv2 Keyboard (Mechanical with Cherry Black)
Steelseries Sensai RAW

I set raw inputs on mouse and sensitivity differs from game to game.

Last edited:
Associate
Dell S2716DG with a gtx 980 ti at 144hz

Mainly play BF4, all setting on low except for texture.

Zowie ZA13 at 600dpi
CM Storm Quick Fire TK

Associate
I'm a big fan of Zowie FK mouse wise - very stable, predictable and responsive sensor combined with the right type of slightly textured fabric mouse mat its very good.

EDIT: Not forgetting the Camade for zero lead drag - guaranteed to double your KDR.

I don't quite get zowie. Sure, the sensor is very good, but the rest of the mouse feels so cheap and flimsy. I realise they are going for a minimalist approach, but come on, no grippy sides? I have an EC1A and the slippery plastic feels like something you wouldn't even consider nicking from IT class. Fingers just slide all over it. Mouse wheel is also garbage... can barely feel the notches. Yet I didn't send it back because I got tricked by their marketing. I mean, if pro csgo players are sponsored by them they must be good right? Such a con. I also have a roccat nyth (big clunky mmo mouse with loads of buttons), and I'm starting to prefer that over the zowie even for fps!

Associate
OP
Dell S2716DG with a gtx 980 ti at 144hz

Mainly play BF4, all setting on low except for texture.

Tell more, .......what is the advantage of everything on LOW is it to maximise frame rate?

Check out the mouse that arc@css uses - Mionix Castor - looks interesting

Man of Honour
I don't quite get zowie. Sure, the sensor is very good, but the rest of the mouse feels so cheap and flimsy. I realise they are going for a minimalist approach, but come on, no grippy sides? I have an EC1A and the slippery plastic feels like something you wouldn't even consider nicking from IT class. Fingers just slide all over it. Mouse wheel is also garbage... can barely feel the notches. Yet I didn't send it back because I got tricked by their marketing. I mean, if pro csgo players are sponsored by them they must be good right? Such a con. I also have a roccat nyth (big clunky mmo mouse with loads of buttons), and I'm starting to prefer that over the zowie even for fps!

Got a few FKs and they don't feel cheap or flimsy - sure they are quite light weight which doesn't have quite as premium feel as a more substantial mouse. Personally I find the textured finish fine for grip - though after a couple of years it does wear down.

Not sure off the top of my head what the wheel is like on the EC1A but I'm quite picky about having a tactile mouse wheel and from the FK Pro onwards it has been fine and improved again in more recent variants of the FK.

Caporegime
a lot of equiptment doesnt make you any better you are good or you are not good.

you dont need to have fancy monitor,mice keyboards.

most of the best people i know at fps game on cheap mice tesco keyboards basic set ups.

awareness,reactions game sense cant be brought.it all depends what level you on about playing.

Soldato
a lot of equiptment doesnt make you any better you are good or you are not good.

you dont need to have fancy monitor,mice keyboards.

most of the best people i know at fps game on cheap mice tesco keyboards basic set ups.

awareness,reactions game sense cant be brought.it all depends what level you on about playing.

That's because they game 24 hours a day and job seekers doesn't cover the cost of anything other than basic equipment. ;)

A nice comfortable decent sensored mouse is nice, keyboard makes no difference and a nice high refresh monitor does feel smoother but again isn't a game changer. So to an extent you are right.

Caporegime
That's because they game 24 hours a day and job seekers doesn't cover the cost of anything other than basic equipment. ;)

A nice comfortable decent sensored mouse is nice, keyboard makes no difference and a nice high refresh monitor does feel smoother but again isn't a game changer. So to an extent you are right.

the real funny thing is most pro people dont play all day. they play small amounts.as said its more about game awareness and reactions.

playing too much is often a bad idea as you learn bad habbits and your " best period " you often wont do as you been playing all day :D

most people play best in first few games.

Associate
most people play best in first few games.

I disagree. Most people (in my experience) are kinda rubbish at the start of a session, play a few games warming up, then play some good games, and quality drops off after the first couple of hours.

source: Playing lots of games, plus I used to work at a gaming cafe where we hosted pro and amateur events and I got to watch a LOT of long events.

Additional: One time a kid got so annoyed that we wouldn't sell him beer (he was 15) that he went round and cut all the mouse cords with a pair of scissors.

Back
Top Bottom