Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Permabanned
How is fibre optic broadband installed if you are doing it yourself? A friend has ordered it for himself but chosen to install it himself rather than paying the fee for having it done for him.

Associate
How is fibre optic broadband installed if you are doing it yourself? A friend has ordered it for himself but chosen to install it himself rather than paying the fee for having it done for him.

Either
Connect modem to BT socket and then ethernet to separate router
or
Connect router to BT socket

Permabanned
You got a link to that proggy, wouldnt mind leaving it sat on my server at home just to monitor whats going on, see if I am being slowed down or if its something else..

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping

@ crinkle that looks a decent graph. Are the spikes you downloading or uploading?

There's certainly far worse!

Nope - while testing these last two days, there has been barely any activity on my connection - only a few low bandwidth games and basic web browsing.

My usage for those two graphs wouldn't affect the graphs at all.

It's really frustrating - those pings and dropped packets are causing web pages to fail to load even and throughput is nothing like 300mbit either.

It's a shame because for the first few days it was running well... it's almost as if VM try to sucker you in for the welcome / 14 day period then knock you back onto a different tier of bandwidth.

They were great when I last had them though, in Leighton Buzzard... nothing like this.

I've see worse too... but this is bad enough that I would rather downgrade to an 80/20 connection that's more stable than keep this.

Soldato
So I just phoned up, 19mins on hold listening to Shakira in the background as I was working, to get to retentions. £12 off p/m, taking a new 12mo contract.

That's a ~25% discount. I was obviously being shafted previously :)

Soldato
So I just phoned up, 19mins on hold listening to Shakira in the background as I was working, to get to retentions. £12 off p/m, taking a new 12mo contract.

Is that just BB & telephone package?
I'm out of contract & for 200mb & basic telephone line (which I don't use) I currently pay £53pm.

EDIT
I just logged into my VM account to check a few details & tried to access the VM forums only to be told I've been banned for advertising! LOL:D
I've only ever posted on there 4 or 5 times in 6 years & the last time was a couple of years ago regarding a fault, so I have no idea what they are on about.

Think it maybe time to call it a day with them & investigate alternative suppliers.

Last edited:
Associate

I think we all are!

There's clearly nothing consistent when it comes to this, this thread being proof of that.

I called at least a month ago and I was offered nowhere near what some people are claiming to have been offered.

I think it just comes down to the individual you end up talking to.

Soldato
Virgin have been a joke for easily 3 months up here now, think ill be making a call soon as its constant drop offs and connection throttling. Were paying for 150mb and it performs like 2mb.

Soldato
Was having some major connection issues last night. Thought it was my ASUS router. So removed that...SH3 was not registering connection. After a few hours, rang Virgin. Apparently we have been SNR issues in our area since last Friday. They said it should all be fixed by Friday, but we should not have to wait til then. Getting a refund for the loss of service. Came home tonight to find connection back to normal. Ran a speed test and voila!

Before this, I was not hitting 200Mbps but my upload was hitting 20Mbps with me being on the new Gamer package. But I cannot complain. :)

Back
Top Bottom