OCT - Supplementary Eye Test

Soldato
Not a medical thread, but on my last eye exam the optician persuaded me to have one of these done for an additional cost. Supposed to do a deep scan (ultrasound?) of the eye and reveal conditions that might not be apparent on the standard examination. Can anyone in the eye trade confirm whether it is actually worthwhile or is it just a cosmetic scam to part you with more money? This particular optician isn't cheap, with replacement lenses for my existing frames being £135 + £25 fitting and a blepharitis "eye bag" £20 when the same on Amazon is £15.

As my eyes aren't great (years of working - and playing - in front of VDU's) I elected to have the test done. The first attempt wasn't successful as it happens so I need to go back and have my pupils dilated to try again.

Either way, next year I think I need to look for a slightly cheaper optician.

Associate
Optical coherence tomography is used to look at the retina in a 3rd dimension.

A lot of opticians will do standard fundus (retinal) photography as part of a standard eye test these days, they used to charge for this but is often bundled in with a test now. A fundus image is only in 2 dimensions from a top down view if you like.

A OCT is helpful because it looks at the different layers in the retina, this is useful for diagnosing Odema (fluid/swelling) associated with conditions such as age related macular degeneration where a 2D image may not show a lot.

Is it worth doing routinely? Unlikely. Standard fundus photography is fine as part of a annual checkup, a OCT would only be used to further aid diagnosis of a existing problem.

The reason the optician will try to persuade his customers to have a scan I would imagine is to help pay for the OCT itself, they are very expensive.

Hope that helps :)

Associate
AS an optometrist - i'd say it's money well spent. OCT shows the inner layers of the retina which a fundus camera doesn't. There are many cases where there may be underlying problems developing, which an OCT would pick up way before any sign showed up on the upper retinal layers. Conditions like macular degeneration start in these inner layers and being the no 1 cause of blindness, I'd sure like to catch it early.

Soldato
It's definitely worth doing, I've seen a huge number of OCT scans showing early issues that are practically invisible on a fundus image.

Expect to pay around £50 for an OCT scan, but if your in London or with a private optician can be £150+.

FYI I used to repair all OCT systems for one of the largest distributors in the UK, so theres a good chance if you get scanned it was calibrated by me ;)

Back
Top Bottom