P8Z68 Pro Gen 3 cold boot issue.

Soldato
My last three asus boards have had cold boot issues

first board was a ram issue, second one I never sorted. My current p67 board has the double boot issue. So yes its a "feature" of Asus boards.

Sometimes you get boot issues, sometimes you dont. Sometimes theres a cure sometimes there isnt. Welcome to ASUS :D

Associate
Post back let me know what the lads at ocuk reckon

This is a bit late and a bit out of the blue, so sorry I didn't post back. Basically, after loads of messing about with replacements and loads of fiddling and tweaking, I just ended up accepting that the weird boot issue wasn't going to go away. Overclockers, although helpful, seemed to want to try and 'fix' it by getting me to do various tests/tweaks. I gave up in the end, as it just seemed that it was some sort of hardware/overclocking issue and I don't think it was ever really going to get resolved and all the messaging with overclockers and tweaking of the system meant I ended up trying to fix it more than I was actually getting to use the computer for what I wanted it for.

But anyway, the reason why I've resurfaced this thread is because I got some extra RAM for my system recently and, so far, I haven't had the weird/random boot issue since. Now though, I have started getting overheating (80°C+, then bluescreen/system restart when under load) so I just came back to see if anyone actually found any solutions or fixes for their issues, out of interest, or to see if anyone else has upgraded their system and ran into overheating issues?

Soldato
Just found this thread, seems very much like my current issue!

I notice that I posted earlier in the thread to say I've never seen the issue on my board.

Typical that I now do :(

I'll try tweaking my ram settings, although I'm currently using the xmp profile which surely should be OK?

Last edited:
Associate
I just run the system with no overclock now and it seems to be stable. Bit of a pity as I bought the bundle because of the overclock, but I cant actually get the benefit from the overclock due to the instability.

Associate
I noticed I get an error on Prime95 when doing a CPU stress test with the overclock. I don't really know enough about it to see if it a fixable issue or not. Recently installed a 1070 myself, too! Pretty amazing power from it!

Associate
OP
I've had the cold boot problem since the day I put the board in. It doesn't cause a problem once the rig's up and running, and when it does happen, the machine just reboots itself, and it boots the second time round.

Soldato
Yep, sounds exactly what is happening with mine. Always boots fine second time around. Once in windows it's totally stable. Only started doing this when I installed my 1070. It's as if my motherboard doesn't like my new hardware configuration.

I was really hoping a new psu would sort it.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Yep, sounds exactly what is happening with mine. Always boots fine second time around. Once in windows it's totally stable. Only started doing this when I installed my 1070. It's as if my motherboard doesn't like my new hardware configuration.

I was really hoping a new psu would sort it.

I'm running the same CPU and quantity of memory, only difference being your 1070 (I'm running a 980)

My PSU is a bit beefier, but it's only in there because I used to run SLI when 3D vision was a big thing.

Soldato
I think I will just have to put up with it until I change the cpu and motherboard for something newer.

Played witcher 3 for a couple of hours last night and it is totally stable in windows.

So it's a minor irritant more than anything.

Associate
That's what drove me mad about it. Wouldn't happen all the time, others times it took several reboots to get it to start up. It's like an old banger of a car, trying to get it started on a cold morning lol

Associate
Has anyone seen a good tutorial online on how to add an overclock using this motherboard? I'd maybe be interested in trying to get some sort of a stable overclock, even if it's not quite as good as the original advertised overclock.

Back
Top Bottom