CB Radio

Soldato
I'm the right age, but never had one and never knew anyone with one. But every time I read or see anything about it I'm gutted that I was not involved.

Associate
I got one.
A midland 78 and stinger on my discovery, use it to tell mates when to shut gates when we are green laning.
Range of around five miles or more if you have good landscape.
I regularly get people on painswick hill (gloucesterdhire) speaking to people half way up the country like coventry and such like ������
Someone must be burning a few amps to do that!

I've got a similar setup in my Pajero for laning trips too.

Soldato
Was having a look at some youtube videos of UK CB radio users last night,

Why is it all CB users that I had video search results from seem to have a cockney accents :D

I may at some point see if I can find a bargain on ebay to have a little dabble again,

Last edited:
Associate
I had a modified Uniden Uniace 200 that I bought second hand - the CB/PA button had been modded to bring in the CEPT mid band channels. Ran it on my desk in my bedroom with a 12v power supply. Got my dad to stick a silver rod aerial on to the side of the house, after much pleading.

I had great fun with this - there were a couple of guys I got to know (and met a few times) that used to sit in their cars most evenings on various "perches" on high ground near to me - our house was also fairly high up in the hills, so contacts were regularly made on mid band to high places in the north like Winter Hill where others were also sat in their cars. Once I could drive, the CB was the first thing I put in it...

One local guy I particularly remember had the handle "Clockman" - he was disabled and had a great set up (one of the President series of rigs). He had a love of clocks and all you could hear when he keyed the mic was loads of clocks ticking. He'd have to wait to speak if they all started striking the hour! I often wonder what happened to him - he was already in 60s when I was speaking to him over twenty years ago.

Loved it... although the conversation was always a bit like:

- 19 for a rig check
- you're 5 and 9 (yes, that's because it's some bloke 100 yds down the road).

Might even get the Uniden out of the loft - but will now need to persuade the wife, not my dad, about fixing an aerial to the side of the house.

Associate
Some of my schoolmates had them but I was too terrified to talk into the mic for fear of sounding like a fool (mic-shyness it was called).

I had a radio which could recieve CB band and used to listen to (usually one-sided) conversations, The girls on there used to continually re-cycle the same urban legend stories as if they were their personal experiences.

Soldato
My dad was really into CB, had one in his car with an external speaker so you can shout at people while driving around, and he had a home system with a 30ft ariel in the garden.

It'd be good in some sort of country emergency but with the Internet, I never really saw much point. I can chat to anyone in the world

Back
Top Bottom