Hens Teeth - GTX 1060, 120hz with G-Sync

Associate
I'm in the market for a beefier laptop than I'm currently using.

Budget wise, I'd want to keep it below £2000.

The sweet spot seems to be the GTX 1060 for my uses, however there doesn't to be a single vendor that sells something with a GTX 1060, 120hz screen AND G-Sync.

There are models with 120hz screen (such as the Stealth from MSI) or models with G-Sync screens, but there isn't anything with both!

The closest is the new Alienware machines. It's possible to spec up a Alienware 17 with a GTX 1060 and a 120hz G-Sync screen but they aren't in stock yet and there's no ETA.

Aorus seems to be the only vendor to couple 120hz and G-Sync but the GTX 1070 pushes the budget a bit out of my comfort zone (not to mention stock levels are low!).

Associate
If i was you i'd wait another month or two rather than making a rushed decision, it doesn't look like you need a laptop right now. Reason i say is because there are new models coming out such as: the asus strixx, aorus, alienware etc.

If you buy one now you may regret it later.

Associate
OP
If i was you i'd wait another month or two rather than making a rushed decision, it doesn't look like you need a laptop right now. Reason i say is because there are new models coming out such as: the asus strixx, aorus, alienware etc.

If you buy one now you may regret it later.

True. There's no real urgency, just trying to get it clear in my mind what to order if/when it's available.

As I say, Alienware seems to be the only one I can see that is offering GTX 1060, 120hz AND G-Sync as configurable option, but there's no ETA on when.

I LOVE the look of the Asus Strixx and value for money is HUGE, it's just a shame it's 60hz G-Sync, not 120hz.

It may seem a small issue for some, but I use a 144hz G-Sync panel on my desktop. As an experiment the other night I set that panel to 60hz but kept G-Sync on. Sure it's nicer than 60hz with G-Sync off, but it's not even close to 144hz and G-Sync. I honestly couldn't be without it.

Associate
Mid November for the 120Hz panel from Alienware I was told via a business rep a couple of weeks ago.

Hopefully the 13" Alienware will be announced at this time with it's OLED screen

Associate
I'm in the same boat as you, in the past ive been fine with a 60hz but once i used my 144hz gsync panel, playing r6s on a 60hz panel felt like i was playing in slow motion. You just can't go back for competitive gaming.

i didn't see a 120hz option on the Al 17 models

Associate
I've done a lot of researching for the exact same thing over the past month or so.
Alienware does seem the best bet right now - and weirdly pretty much the best value as well, which seems crazy to me. The Strix models may challenge that though as the 60hz panels are reported to be rather good.
Clevo options are worth considering too, though I think the new Alienware offers the best overall package personally, at least once the 120hz versions are available.
Won't be touching MSI with a long pole based on the MXM fiasco and repeated reports of failures on new models.

Associate
OP
I'm glad it's not just me and everyone has come to the same conclusions (Alienware being the front runner for config options).

Interested to find out more about the screen in the ASUS ROG Strixx laptops. I'm not convinced by the thought of a 60hz screen, but if it's a good panel then value for money wise it might make the Strixx a viable option for me.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just remember when looking at the stats the GL502 is 2.5KG for the 1060 and 2.6KG for the 1070 versions.

Asus are incorrectly reporting the weights of the GL502 series for some reason.

They have done this for two generations now, it should probably be reported to the ASA.

Associate
OP
Just remember when looking at the stats the GL502 is 2.5KG for the 1060 and 2.6KG for the 1070 versions.

Asus are incorrectly reporting the weights of the GL502 series for some reason.

They have done this for two generations now, it should probably be reported to the ASA.

While I agree it's wrong they're incorrectly reporting the weights, I'm not too fussed. I was looking to buy the ROG G752VS at one point. At nearly 5kg, anything less is an improvement!

Back
Top Bottom