Help me decide between PC and Console gaming.

Associate
I wasn't sure which forum to write this in, so feel free to move it if it's wrong.

Atm, I own a PC with 980 Ti and 27 inch 1440p qnix monitor; a PS4 and 50 inch 1080p TV; and a Nvidia Shield TV.

After the announcement of the PS4 Pro, I've been considering upgrading to a 4K TV. I've also been considering ditching console gaming, making PC my main gaming machine (except for exclusives), and getting a 1440p GSYNC monitor.

I enjoy couch gaming on the larger TV with the PS4, and I want to be able to play exclusives, like FF15.

However, I also enjoy the superior graphics and FPS of PC gaming. Plus, I've spent a lot of money over the years building and upgrading my PC.

I'm finding it difficult to decide what to do - buy a 4k TV and PS4 Pro, or buy a GSYNC monitor. I can't afford to do both. Which do you think would be the best and long-term, most cost effective solution?

PS. I can stream PC games with gamestream but it's buggy and not all games work.

Associate
People can give you an opinion but its down to you at the end of the day,for me personally having only come to pc gaming at the beginning of the year (January) and before being a hardcore console gamer I would buy the 1440p gsync monitor,i sold my ps4 and xbox one when I got my pc as MUCH preferred gaming on my pc,the consoles didn't get a look in anymore so I sold them.

its your choice though what you want to do,guess it depends what you enjoy most :)

Associate
I've always gravitated towards the PC. I sold my PS4 to fund my current build, as it was largely going unused.
The PC simply offers so much value for the money. Unless you absolutely must have the latest console exclusives, I'd stick with PC gaming. It's objectively superior in almost every way!

Soldato
Maybe grab a G-sync monitor now and keep your current PS4. This way you could enjoy FPS games on PC and still have access to all the great PS4 exclusives. You can always upgrade to PS4 Pro at a later date when the console "settles" on the market and devs start utilising the extra power to its fullest potential.

PS4 exclusives and a beast PC to play all the crappy "superior" ports we usually get = best of both worlds;p

Soldato
30fps max gaming isn't a reason to buy a 4k TV if you already have a decent 1080p TV that would offer 60fps gaming on a PS4 Pro plus a 980Ti in your PC. High hz & fps gaming on a gsync monitor makes console gaming feel like a whole new level of clunky/jarring. Even more so if you use a game pad on the PC.

Associate
Inclined to say pc because gaming aside its used for many things

But I agree on what you say regarding being able to just put your feet up and game in the lounge.. which is why when I upgrade my machine I typically convert the old hardware into HTPC/gaming box which goes in a little hide away spot in the lounge and hooks into media center

Will eventually pick up an xbo for the lounge just can't justify laying out that sort of cash on something that will mostly be used casually/by visitors

Soldato
Have both.

Enough games across PC and ps4.

I doubt the pro is going to offer much more than the current ps4. it certainly isn't going to provide a great 4k gaming experience, it's far too under powered.

Associate
I think it's a matter of making some lists here and should focus entirely on the games you're likely to play.

1) Which games I like are PC exclusive, which ones are console only, and which (or how many of these) do I prefer?

2) If a game runs on both, which is superior in fluidity and framerate, graphics, handling and control, and modability?

Soldato
Do both, "console exclusives" on console and PC exclusives and everything else on PC. I don't see the need to be one or the other.

Personally I don't like ultrawide monitors though, I'd rather have 4K but I also use mine for video editing where 4K gives me a little extra room.

Soldato
Already being a PC gamer you are aware of the downsides and extra headaches the PC can bring. Be it driver, software or hardware related.
You seem torn by two very different gaming aspects sir.

Moving away from PS4 for a moment, it is fantastic that Microsoft are throwing their AAA onto PC with same day release. Additionally with the buy once play anywhere feature being a bonus it is a factor that is bringing back more console players to the PC platform (I'm an example) as is the desire for 4K HDR gaming with native resolutions, max or close to maxed out visuals that are beyond the console experience.

The recent issues with Windows 10 Store and Horizon 3 / GOW4 with downloading/installing the games is an example that things are still not yet perfect. Although its fair to say with a 980Ti you could already being enjoying both of those games playing them now better than they will be even on Scorpio in over a years time. Sony may be trying to do the same with the PRO in giving customers the choice of higher tier/experience from upcoming titles but really just how many games are going to have the improved resolution and textures yet still maintain 60fps? Or will we see similar framerates to the 1080p standard experience? Bottom line yes to play Sonys AAA in the best way will be with their PRO and a 4K HDR tv.

Microsofts move on the other hand for their own AAA means PC gamers have the option to play/see the games at their best possible visual performances and achieve the 60fps preference the console will fail to deliver on in many titles, if of course you have the appropriate hardware its possible.

Really PS4 is relying on its own AAA with much of it still to come, although to be fair many of the best console games are multiplatform anyways and the PC gradually will see more of the titles appearing also with HDR which really brings me to the advice I'd give.

You could hold off till Jan sales or get an idea from CES when next Springs HDR 4K TVs are revealled. Chances are good models will offer improvements and do so at reduced prices. Their is no reason why a 50" HDR 4K model with higher nits and better response times wont be available next year for around £600+ and like always happens give a model 3-6 months after release and they can be found discounted. Top models this year like the Samsung KS8000 or KS9500 will be found greatly discounted, it happens every year. Better I think to wait and get a UHD Premium Certifired or model that can fully produce the HDR effect as one that only partly can achieve it like many current mid range models this year do unless you do decide to hold off and get one of the better models this year in the sales.

Truth be told you coud easily be enjoying many PC games and at least Microsoft AAA from your sofa on a nice screen with XB1S Bluetooth controller for a "better than console" console type experience. Shield TV was announced at a dev conference earlier this year to support over LAN 4K and HDR. I dont know yet if this is fully working with (Shadow Warrior2) as it is the first such title.

Dont forget Ultrawide Gaming IS possible on 4KTVs you have the option to play in native 4K, 1080p resolution or custom options.
Horizon 3 and GOW4 are again two recent examples supporting 21:9 that you CANT do on CONSOLES and no doubt BF1 will be another that allows you to get either a good "4K Native type experience" or setting custom 21:9 resolution like 3840x1620 (similar to LGs new 38" Ultrawide) that will help the framerates and still be higher resolution than a 3440x1440 gaming monitor costing £1000. Of course it depends on your priorities, the TV likely will have much better image quality espically with HDR and potentially V-SYNC at 60 frames. The downsides being at the cost of higher response times and lag which the monitor of course will always provide with the potential for G-SYNC and smoother frame rates.

For me I see 4K HDR TV or future monitor sales being to more peoples interests than VR as it offers a broader appeal and usage of greater content.
Now if only next year we had low response time 4K Tvs or monitors with HDR and supporting upto 100Hz.

Xbox AAA titles @ 21:9 on 4KTV is the current best console gaming experience, err on PC
YNZLn4Yh.jpg.png

The community should push Microsoft to release HDR patch for PC and its likely to happen
1VlGnXoh.jpg.png

Console experience is fine but so much nicer/better is possible
Ol157YRh.jpg.png

Last edited:
Soldato
How close to your TV is your couch?

4k is pointless unless you have either a massive screen or sit just a few feet away.

Impotant factor indeed, some should pull the sofa forward or get a bean bag/gaming seat to appreciate the higher resolution but its not a hard thing to remedy :) You dont need to sit close to appreciate HDR however and take note "image quality" is deemd more by colour/contrast/brightness than actual resolution.

Last edited:
Soldato
considering future console look like they will be modular and require upgrades over time, (GPU etc...), I would say PC since a simple HDMI connection to your TV and you can play from your couch just like a console

at least on PC you have higher quality hardware available for upgrade, more choice and better prices.

looking at the current price of existing peripherals for consoles (cameras, etc...) the prices are exorbitant. I can't see that get better as more complex pieces of HW, such as GPUs or CPUS which will require upgrades on future consoles

Last edited:
Soldato
PC - nobody has mentioned (unless I missed it) that you can always stream Steam to your TV and use a controller anyway.

For me PC gaming is so much more exciting with better modding options and the games are so cheap these days with steam sales.

Associate
OP
I want the superior graphics and fps of pc with the ease of console gaming, but it looks like I'll have to compromise somewhere.

The simplest solution would be to move the PC into the living room, but then I can't play kb/m games, like Wow. I don't want to have to move it back and forth. I could stream via Gamestream, but not all games work with it, and you need a 1000 series gpu for 4k HDR.

Soldato
Do not waste any money on Consoles they can output @ 4K but that is nowhere near the same as 4K PC gaming with proper 4K textures.
;) Just keep investing in your PC & go for a massive screen. 27" is pointless just go for a 4K 43" when OCUK get it back in stock.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/phil...led-monitor-black-5yr-warranty-mo-02b-ph.html

Single GTX 980 TI can still provide a very good experience @4K its not all about FPS. IQ on PC is a long way ahead of PS4 its not just textures its AF x16, pixel shaders & AA scheme (not that you need much AA @ 4K).

If you want a super 4K PC your going to have to spend £3K minimum its not worth it games do not show that much improvement over 4K @ 30FPS anyway! Just get either a 4K UHD HDTV or wait for OCUK to get the Phillips 43" 4K back in stock.

In the very near future HDR is going to make a big visual difference to PC gaming & next year Sony are bringing a 4K UHD movies on PC solution out (software+hardware) just invest heavily in PC to take advantage of those.

Back
Top Bottom