Google Pixel and Pixel XL

Permabanned
Did anyone else find that photos, contacts, bookmarks moved over easily from my Nexus 6 to the Pixel but that apps (apart from the main Google apps) had to be reinstalled from the My Apps and Games "All" section?

So some of my favourite non-Google apps had to be individually reinstalled (no big deal as it just meant hitting the Reinstall button). This gave me the opportunity to spring clean some apps that I have not used in a while and learn which apps were no longer compatible with Android 7.1.

My early impression of the phone is very positive. It is so lightening fast and the battery indicator, after lots of use for the past 6 hours, has barely moved. Camera work to follow. Screen display is sharp. Material Design all over this device.

Happy days.

Soldato
6P is still incredibly fast and smooth, more so than all other OEM android phones except for the OP3 (largely thanks to all its RAM so apps don't have to reload as often)

OP3 is faster and smoother probably because it has a significanty better SoC, much faster storage and far less pixels to push.

Any SD810 phone is not worth having now unless you can get it for half rrp.

And the 6P didn't feel all that premium when I had one for a couple weeks. Oneplus 3 feels noticeably better. That plastic panel on the back of the 6P didn't help either.

Err yeah, I got the 5" one :p

Fair do's - glad your enjoying your new device :)

Soldato
I've seen one of these and will be buying. Is there an advantage to buying from Google direct or are CPW fine for warranty etc? I assume if I buy SIM free then all software updates in future will come direct from Google?

Caporegime
OP3 is faster and smoother probably because it has a significanty better SoC, much faster storage and far less pixels to push.

Any SD810 phone is not worth having now unless you can get it for half rrp.

And the 6P didn't feel all that premium when I had one for a couple weeks. Oneplus 3 feels noticeably better. That plastic panel on the back of the 6P didn't help either.

Yeah possibly down to those as well but given the way android/linux works when it comes to memory management, I would say the main benefit is more RAM, apps load far quicker when they don't have to re-open/reload. And unless side by side, you won't be thinking "damn this 6p is slow"

Having more pixels to push should only be applicable to games these days, for general usage, performance shouldn't be hampered much, if at all.

The 6P didn't feel as premium as the iphones and a few HTC devices but it still felt incredibly good and premium. Not held the OP3 yet.

Can't say I noticed the plastic bits on the back tbh, although I had the silver so material wise might have been different to your graphite one.

Associate
Does anyone elses Android system WebView disabled? Just going through play store and it says that for mine and I can't enable?

That's a change in android 7 it just now uses the webview that chrome provides. No need for the separate install of web view hence it shows as disabled.

Associate
To anyone that got the Pixel, you guys think it will last 4 years?
edit: by last i mean hardware wise. I think software wise it will only have guaranteed update for next 2 years which I think is similar to the nexus 4. jellybean to lollipop
Im still on Nexus 4 and it has served me well in the last 4 years and thinking of getting the Pixel

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't see why not as long as there's not a huge change in Google's strategy.

Any one managed to find settings for LED notification light? All I can find is to turn it on or off.

Soldato
It's in Notifications > Settings but it lets you turn it on or off. It seems to only come on when the message is first received. Ideally I'd want it to pulse every 5-10seconds

Soldato
Just ordered my Daydream headset too... not coming until mid November though.

Got my £50 Google Play Gift Card in the post today too. Can't use it on the Daydream though, so might just sell it actually to slightly offset the cost of the handset.

Back
Top Bottom