Google Pixel and Pixel XL

Permabanned
Anyone used Google Assistant much? Any comments on it?

As you'd expect from my earlier posts, I have been putting Assistant through its paces and it is really very good. It get's my voice exactly right into text and answers an amazing number of questions and does some cool things.

I naturally started off simply by asking it about the weather now, the weather this weekend, what's on my calendar for tomorrow, who won the Man U v Liverpool match, etc. Then moved on to ask it to remind me to buy milk tomorrow (it added it to my shopping list in Google Keep). It asked me when tomorrow I wanted to be reminded. I said morning.

These kinds of commands worked fine. It understood the context in that when my follow up weather question arose, it know I was talking about weather in my area for the weekend.

Just the first day, but impressive.

Permabanned
As you'd expect from my earlier posts, I have been putting Assistant through its paces and it is really very good. It get's my voice exactly right into text and answers an amazing number of questions and does some cool things.

I naturally started off simply by asking it about the weather now, the weather this weekend, what's on my calendar for tomorrow, who won the Man U v Liverpool match, etc. Then moved on to ask it to remind me to buy milk tomorrow (it added it to my shopping list in Google Keep). It asked me when tomorrow I wanted to be reminded. I said morning.

These kinds of commands worked fine. It understood the context in that when my follow up weather question arose, it know I was talking about weather in my area for the weekend.

Just the first day, but impressive.

Following up on my comments to AndyCR15 on Google Assistant, I wanted to share something I read today from Gartner's Symposium ITxpo. One of their conclusions about what is coming our way in technology includes their view that by 2020 you'll be saying more to your machines than your spouse!

What were the main talking points at the symposium yesterday? They underscore the work being done now with Virtual Assistants like Google Assistant. They include:

1. By 2020, 100 million consumers will shop in augmented reality environments (remember Google Glass?).

2. By 2020, as mentioned, the average person will have more conversations with bots than with their spouse. They believe by 2020, 30% of web browsing sessions will be done without a screen.

3. By 2019, 20 percent of brands will be abandoning their mobile apps. Apps aren't working the way many brands expected. There is too much to look at in the app stores. While they believe apps won't disappear, devices like Google Home and Alexa will push us into the post-app era.

4. More and more businesses will use algorithms that will be embedded in systems that will work like a virtual assistant (think Google Assistant for business). These assistants will help employees make better decision.

I won't be mentioning the second prediction to my wife anytime soon!

Soldato
Following up on my comments to AndyCR15 on Google Assistant, I wanted to share something I read today from Gartner's Symposium ITxpo. One of their conclusions about what is coming our way in technology includes their view that by 2020 you'll be saying more to your machines than your spouse!

What were the main talking points at the symposium yesterday? They underscore the work being done now with Virtual Assistants like Google Assistant. They include:

1. By 2020, 100 million consumers will shop in augmented reality environments (remember Google Glass?).

2. By 2020, as mentioned, the average person will have more conversations with bots than with their spouse. They believe by 2020, 30% of web browsing sessions will be done without a screen.

3. By 2019, 20 percent of brands will be abandoning their mobile apps. Apps aren't working the way many brands expected. There is too much to look at in the app stores. While they believe apps won't disappear, devices like Google Home and Alexa will push us into the post-app era.

4. More and more businesses will use algorithms that will be embedded in systems that will work like a virtual assistant (think Google Assistant for business). These assistants will help employees make better decision.

I won't be mentioning the second prediction to my wife anytime soon!

Skynet is coming!

Associate
Played around with my XL yesterday and quite like it so far. The user experience so far seems to be very fluid and smooth. Screen is beautiful and the actual phone is better looking than expected.

I can't find how to turn off vibrate on the capacitive buttons, managed to turn vibrate off on keyboard, does anyone know how to do this?

Soldato
I went from an S6 to the Pixel (non-XL) and it's such a massive improvement, I'm very happy.

One issue I was wondering if anyone can help with - So I've been shooting in 4k and then viewing the videos through Photos on a PC. For some reason, I cannot go over 1080p when viewing the videos, even though my monitor supports 4k and also the file format is actually 4k at 3840 × 2160.

Is this a setting within Photos itself?

Associate
^^ seems as though playback is limited to 1080p, which is annoying!

I don't know if it's the same on the Pixel version of the Google Photos app, but on my version if you're using the "high quality, free unlimited storage" backup the app will only upload a reduced size photo or video to the servers. To upload full size you have to select to use "original, limited to account storage" under backup settings. EDIT: Presumably this won't actually be limited for Pixel owners seeing as you have unlimited account storage?

V_R

V_R

Soldato
should have :p

I'm still very tempted..... ;)

I got an S7 Edge off the MM a week or two back to replace my 6P (as much as I love the 6P I feel it seems too big sometimes)

But I'm just not enjoying the S7E as much as I thought I would, and I've come to realise just how much I prefer stock Android. I may well sell it again...

What are CPW like? Ideally I'd prefer to buy direct from Google, but thats going to be a while I feel.

Hows the fingerprint scanner on the XL? As good as the N6P? Or as janky as the S7E?

Last edited:
Suspended
Sticking with my Nexus 6P. There's not enough better for me in the Pixel, and I don't like that big unused front bezel

If you haven't had a look at one in the flesh I would recommend you do so. The bezel doesn't look nearly so big when you see the physical phone. The images do not do it justice.

"Warning" you may just end up coveting one. :)

Soldato
I don't know if it's the same on the Pixel version of the Google Photos app, but on my version if you're using the "high quality, free unlimited storage" backup the app will only upload a reduced size photo or video to the servers. To upload full size you have to select to use "original, limited to account storage" under backup settings. EDIT: Presumably this won't actually be limited for Pixel owners seeing as you have unlimited account storage?

Yep,on my old phone is was the same as you described.

On the Pixel you don't get an option to change that particular setting. You see a message saying all photos from the Pixel are uploaded at full res... And that's it, no option at all.

Soldato
If you haven't had a look at one in the flesh I would recommend you do so. The bezel doesn't look nearly so big when you see the physical phone. The images do not do it justice.

"Warning" you may just end up coveting one. :)

Yup, it's no different to other phones. I put mine next to my gf's Oneplus3 this morning and both top and bottom bezels are the same size (to my eye ;)). Just checked against my mate's S7 and it's a little bigger (~ 1mm) than the S7.
It's the lack of a button on Pixel that makes it look big but in reality is the same as other phones.

Back
Top Bottom