• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Need to upgrade a i3-2100 Sandy Bridge.

Associate
My son's PC has a i3 2100 that I built a few years ago and it's starting to shows it's age. He'll be playing games like Battlefield 1.
Any suggestion for a cheap up grade. AMD maybe? I'll need a MB too.
Thanks

Last edited:
Associate
What motherboard is it? A second-hand SB i5 or i7 will give you the best bang for buck for sure.

Motherboard cost will outweigh upgrading to anything else.

Associate
OP
What motherboard is it? A second-hand SB i5 or i7 will give you the best bang for buck for sure.

Motherboard cost will outweigh upgrading to anything else.

Yeah, I was thinking that. There is a i5-2400 being advertised. His MB is not one you can use to overclock. I don't mind spending 200 euro for something newer if it will last him with the newer games coming out.

Last edited:
Associate
What budget and when do you need/want to do this by?

We're very close to a new generation of motherboards and CPUs coming out from Intel. Meant to be in November/December.

Associate
OP
What budget and when do you need/want to do this by?

We're very close to a new generation of motherboards and CPUs coming out from Intel. Meant to be in November/December.

Yeah, I can wait. Would the i5 2400 be good to tie him over? They're asking 75 euro. Or would it be a waste?

Associate
The i5 3570 would be decent as a temporary boost to performance yeah, as long as it's an ok price (definitely under £80 I'd say).

But as others have mentioned, if you want to do an upgrade with more longevity you'll likely want to get one of the Kaby Lake i5's when they're released soon.

It also requires new RAM however, since we're now on DDR4.

Just depends how much money you want to spend in total really.

Associate
OP
I bought the i5 3570, cost me 47 euro's including shipping off of e-bay. I was wondering if I should boost his RAM too? He has 8 gigs at the moment (8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9). Can you mix RAM from different makers? What would be your recommendation?

Soldato
I bought the i5 3570, cost me 47 euro's including shipping off of e-bay. I was wondering if I should boost his RAM too? He has 8 gigs at the moment (8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9). Can you mix RAM from different makers? What would be your recommendation?

The amount of ram is fine for his needs, but the speed is pretty slow.

A 2133 mhz kit would be better, but it's not a big deal.

Soldato
In all fairness, Sandy doesn't scale massively with memory speed...

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4503/sandy-bridge-memory-scaling-choosing-the-best-ddr3/6

Yes there's a little boost, but it's the sort of thing I'd worry about when all other components are as fast as they can be. 1600 seems to be a nice spot for pricing - there's a jump beyond that that isn't worth it, IMHO.

That said, I'd suggest going for a set of 2x8gb or 4x4gb rather than trying to mix and match. You can pick up a 16gb set of 1600 for £50-60, just remember to check if you have 4 or 2 memory slots before choosing which to get :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom