Excellent PC games that allow modding?

Soldato
I do have that but haven't spent enough time learning how to play it properly. I really should do as it looks like an absolute blast to play. I might watch a few YouTube videos about it.

all you need to do really is learn about delta v, the diehards will shoot me for saying this but mechjebs delta v tool is very handy for making more effecient spaceships.

but tbh the way to learn it is to build it, launch it, see how it fails, rinse and repeat until you get the hang of it.

Soldato
The mod adds so much compared to vanilla that I'm actually not sure. To me it's a bit like playing Skyrim without mods... except the base game leaves even more to be desired. The guy that created the mod, Litcube, spent 7 years designing and refining it.

Perhaps it is worth playing Litcube's Universe first without the Mayhem mod, but I don't know about vanilla... I actually never got to the endgame in vanilla because it didn't seem as compelling as the massive overhaul that is Litcube's Universe, which is why I recommended it in the first place.

Perhaps I can list a few core features of the game and how Litcube's Universe improves them?

In X3 you can build your own starbases and run a living economy, but each station requires power and resources (food, minerals, metal etc) to function so you have to link them together with physical tubes (that things can collide with). The issue with vanilla is that you require more and more stations linked together to make decent a profit for your empire, eventually culminating in a ton of them spammed all over a star system (all rendered in 3D when you enter the system yourself and want to build anything, of course). With Litcube's Universe, you can build structures called Saturn Complex Hubs, which function as huge starbase complexes, hence the name, but need similar resources to run as the normal starbases. That eliminates the need to have FPS-reducing separate starbases everywhere.

In vanilla you constantly have to worry about colliding with friendly units in space, which is usually deadly and extremely frustrating. The "bounce" script in Litcube's Universe mitigates this somewhat.

You can use chaff as a countermeasure in Litcube's Universe, where as in vanilla you just had to pray you could out-manoeuvre the torrent of fireworks launched in your general direction.

There's a rival corporation called Phanon in Litcube's Universe which that is attempting to beat you to the top of the food chain by building its own starbases across the universe, and it generally has a lot more tools at its disposal than the other factions to wipe you out.

There's a malevolent force called Omnicron Channel Virus (OCV) building up in a certain section of the universe. They are able to wipe out entire sectors and eventually the universe if you don't stop them. Their ships (which cannot be piloted by humanoids... or you) are massively powerful at every tier compared with other racial pilot-able ships.

Full list of features here.

Thanks for the reply I installed X3 then remembered i no longer have a joystick.... :mad:

Soldato
OP
No Mans Sky has a load of mods for it.

Oh wait, you said 'Excellent PC games' - Sorry

Heh. I was going to say :).

I actually had No Man's Sky on my wishlist for a long time before it came out. I was going to buy it but decided to hold off until I saw some reviews. I'm so glad I did now as I saved myself a few quid.

Permabanned
STALKER

I'll have to play them. I bought them on the last steam sale because I heard some really good things about them but never actually got around to playing them. Thanks :).

It's always best to play a game once without mods, However if you're only likely to play it once there are certain mods that do not make major storyline changes that are excellent options.
Atmosfear 3
http://www.moddb.com/mods/atmosfear-for-call-of-pripyat

Absolute Nature 3 or 4

http://www.moddb.com/mods/atmosfear-for-call-of-pripyat/addons/absolute-nature-4

which can both be installed together offering a much improved weather system as well as better enviroments.

A good place to find them is Moddb.com

STALKER Call of Pripyat

If you decide you'd like to try the game again but with major changes there's a large selection of total conversion mods as well as many that keep the storyline intact plus those that add to it.
I did a selection of All-in-ones for what I thought were some of the best Russian made mods with translations but as I said it's best to try it first without mods or just the ones mentioned above.

If you ever want help sifting through them or finding particular ones feel free to ask here or on one of my Moddb pages

http://www.moddb.com/mods/translations

http://www.moddb.com/mods/sigerous-sgm

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom