X-Tex Artex Remover - anyone used it?

Commissario
Has anyone used this product or a similar product to remove artex before? I've just had a plasterer come over to quote for a job where we have artex walls and he hadn't heard of it (I know him and trust him as he's done work for us before).

Interested to know if anyone has used it and what the results were like?

http://www.ecosolutions.co.uk/homestrip-xtex/

Tea Drinker
Don
Looks like it only works on artex over nice flat plastered walls. Can't see if it would work on plasterboard walls without ruining the paper lining. Interesting to see if it does.

Soldato
Never heard of that product before . Every plasterer I know just knocks of the high bits and skims over providing its tested negative for asbestos.

Pretty much this but a lot of the plasterers I've spoken to just scrape it off without a second thought....well they did in my house anyway.

Associate
We used it for our house, but it really depends on the kind of artex. It works well but can be quite time intensive though if your Artex has been painted over several times or is tough.
I'd chip away the peaks and get it plastered, or overboard with plasterboard, both much quicker, easier and less expensive (obviously depending on area however).

Commissario
OP
Thanks for the replies chaps. The plasterer said their approach was to chip away at the bigger bits, and then apply a bond over it before skimming.

Tea Drinker
Don
Thanks for the replies chaps. The plasterer said their approach was to chip away at the bigger bits, and then apply a bond over it before skimming.

Had all my ceilings done like this, arm arching work and the guy I know charges £250 a ceiling (for your average 2 up 2 down house) per room including decorating in white

Soldato
We removed ours from the ceiling recently. Sanded all the bumpy bits off with a mouse sander then steamed it off and scraped like wall paper. We left the steamer on for around 7 seconds at a time came off no problem.

Soldato
Usual method if on plasterboard is to cut round the edges and pull the plasterboard down intact, with appropriate protection for the room and PPE etc. and usually with air monitoring. Special training is essential.

If it can't be removed intact, then it become notifiable non-licenced work - notifiable to the HSE.

Soldato
Most plasterers won't bother with an asbestos test I can guarantee it at £50 a pop no chance. When I'm plastering over artex I don't bother knocking off high spots leave it as it is and skim over it. Asbetos in artex was very low in content but asbestos nonetheless so take care with it. If it's left alone it's fine.

Soldato
We used something similar if not the same on our artex. A blue jelly like product.

Left it on for an hour and it made it a lot easier to scrape the artex away.

Word of warning though it is very very messy when scraping off and sticks a little like glue. Ruined my footwear! haha.

Soldato
I had a room with Artex I wanted rid of, guy just scraped the bumpy bits off then skimmed over. Asbestos testing? Don't be silly :o

Although I kept out the way until the dust settled. ;)

Back
Top Bottom